base_nz

Thank god we cant go further into space!!!!!

We ARE just filthy bastards!!!!!!

You wouldnt be able to pay me enough to go into space! dont get me wrong it would be great fun ........

Until a peice of space metal smashed into you at 30000 kph

I mean really.... what can you say.... Disgracefull[:/]
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

:S Sorry ....

The latest picture of all the hundreds of thousands of pieces of rubbish we have made to date and left circling earth......

The worst case was the Chinese Destroying a space station and creating an extra 150,000 pieces of debris....

And apparently this stuff can get up to speeds of 30,000 kph!

To an alien we must just look like a big virus creating shit wherever we go!!!
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

The worst case was the Chinese Destroying a space station and creating an extra 150,000 pieces of debris....

The Chinese created (all on their very own) 10% of all space "junk" with this one shot! Not very well thought out on the dismissal of their "weather" satellite...:S

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/shocking-space-debris-images.php

I just googled 'space debris images'...lots of links...

The Kessler Syndrome is basically an orbital doomsday scenario that cuts off mankind’s access to space for thousands of years. The way it works is, some random collision occurs, creating many bits of space debris in orbit. These debris, in turn, end up hitting other things, shredding them, creating even more debris, in a Domino-like fashion. Eventually, everything in orbit is utterly destroyed, and the space around Earth is so polluted with space junk that it is impossible to even launch anything anymore, as it would be destroyed by random impacts almost immediately upon exiting the atmosphere. The scary thing is, the Kessler syndrome is already possible with the current amount of hardware we have in space. Luckily, almost all of it is up there in large controlled chunks, but all it could take is one apocalyptic collision to set a terrible chain of events into motion. This is why China’s test is so mind-numbingly stupid. Because once the Kessler Syndrome takes effect, the only solution with current technology is to wait it out, letting the space debris hit each other, lose momentum, and gradually burn up in the atmosphere. The process takes thousands of years before low orbit is safe to traverse again.

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

:S Sorry ....

The latest picture of all the hundreds of thousands of pieces of rubbish we have made to date and left circling earth......

And apparently this stuff can get up to speeds of 30,000 kph!

Are these pictures real, or just conjectured, or what? How were the pictures photographed/constucted?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

On the next shuttle flight, toss out a couple of hundred balls of wall spackle about 1 ft in diameter. Everything that contacts them will stick and eventually it will weigh enough to re-enter the atmosphere and burn up.

I use the same method to clean the lint filter on my dryer.
I get two fingers wet and wipe the filter. Clean immediately.
:)

That is so beautiful.

Mankind is so cool to create such government sponsored art.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Are these pictures real, or just conjectured, or what? How were the pictures photographed/constucted?

I was wondering that too. From a NASA related site: ". . graphics are computer generated images of objects in Earth orbit that are currently being tracked. "

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/photogallery/beehives.html

The orbital debris dots are scaled according to the image size of the graphic to optimize their visibility and are not scaled to Earth. These images provide a good visualization of where the greatest orbital debris populations exist.

In other words: it doesn't actually look like that.

That's what I thought: there's so much area in orbit that the chance of you coming into contact with a satellite or debris is minimal.

The following graphics are computer generated images of objects in Earth orbit that are currently being tracked. Approximately 95% of the objects in this illustration are orbital debris, i.e., not functional satellites

Some of that "orbital debris" is not necessarily manmade. They're just objects that are being tracked, according to the website. Some are bits of manmade satellites, some are defunct manmade satellites, and some are just rocks or ice that are caught in our orbit.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

And this statement alone lends so much credibility to the speaker.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

We ARE just filthy bastards!!!!!!

You wouldnt be able to pay me enough to go into space! dont get me wrong it would be great fun ........

Until a peice of space metal smashed into you at 30000 kph

I mean really.... what can you say.... Disgracefull[:/]

I think I would rather ride the shuttle into space than jump off a stationary object.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That's what I thought: there's so much area in orbit that the chance of you coming into contact with a satellite or debris is minimal.

As one of my bosses in the space sector said "there's a lot of space in space". Yes, you're right - if you're coming to or leaving Earth, there's currently minimal chance of hitting something. If you are a satellite in orbit for years, you can and will hit several things, usually micro-meteorites. LEO satellites tend to hit the most stuff. But things are only going to get worse, and at some point, it is going to be a problem.

About those images - the debris tracked is amplified in size greatly in the pics. Each "dot" in the pics is probably the size of a large mountain, when in reality they are about the size of a basketball or a piece of furniture. NASA has computers that track the shit 24-hours a day.

Speaking of shit - the Russian cosmonauts used to dump their human waste overboard - they were called "honey-buckets" in the Russian translation :D At least that's the way it was told to me ...
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD