councilman24

Poll: PIA rigging forum, want it back?

The PIA Rigging Committee is considering reviving the PIA Rigger Forum. We've had a volunteer to be the principle moderator (someone you all know but I won't say who now). We envision it again being for registered users who are riggers at any level in their home countries. But, rather than posts having to be preapproved, we are considering it being moderated after the fact like another forum you all know and love.;) It may be read only to the world, or may not.

Do you think it's worth reviving a rigger only forum? The previous version wasn't used much, but was of high quality. The preapproval mode of moderating lengthened response times, especially with one moderator.

It would be aimed at riggers. It would NOT be another "what rig should I buy" forum. Vote, and let me know what you think.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I for one, would really like to see a return of 'The Rigging Forum' to the PIA web site. It was a very good source of information and a good way to stay up-dated. Being moderated, similar to this forum could work. It also, drew some good contributors.
Hope, it happens!

Chuck

There were a few folks who posted at PIA who haven't posted here. Willem DeVos (a great post: home-made fabric permeability tester) comes to mind. If having a separate PIA forum is what it takes to hear from them, I'm for it.

I'd prefer they all came here to a restricted split-off from the current "Gear and Rigging" forum, so that rigging threads aren't jumbled in with the "what color should I get" threads. Unlikely, though.

Mark

The PIA Rigging Committee is considering reviving the PIA Rigger Forum. We've had a volunteer to be the principle moderator (someone you all know but I won't say who now). We envision it again being for registered users who are riggers at any level in their home countries. But, rather than posts having to be preapproved, we are considering it being moderated after the fact like another forum you all know and love.;) It may be read only to the world, or may not.

Is'nt this what the "Rigging wiki" is supposed to cover? Thus filling the gap?

Mick.

Do you think it's worth reviving a rigger only forum? The previous version wasn't used much, but was of high quality. The preapproval mode of moderating lengthened response times, especially with one moderator.

It would be aimed at riggers. It would NOT be another "what rig should I buy" forum. Vote, and let me know what you think.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman

I used the PIA forum a few times, but it suffered from having a sub-critical mass of participants. I would very much like a riggers only forum, letting non-riggers read only.

I have mixed feelings whether the best place for it is PIA or DZ.com. Of course there is no prohibition to having both. Maybe the thing to do is keep this forum at DZ.com as it is, and have the riggers only at PIA. I like the notion of it attached to a professional rigging association. It would get a lot more readers and posters if it is at DZ.com though. That could change in a few years though. Maybe Sangrio would get tired or disgusted and want to move on or maybe DZ.com would go the way of other once-popular places and just fade out.

For the immediate future though, I see a need for a riggers only forum, whether here or at PIA or both...

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Is'nt this what the "Rigging wiki" is supposed to cover? Thus filling the gap?

Sparky's got it more or less. The purpose of the Rigging wiki is to write a manual that would always be more or less in date.

A discussion forum would serve another purpose, namely the exchange of ideas and information, keeping up to date, asking questions and getting them answered. I think a riggers' forum either here at DZcom or at PIA would be very useful. Personally I think I'd prefer it at PIA.

I see a need for a riggers only forum***
Why?

To separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm not saying that all riggers always give great advice or correct answers, but here on DZ.com there is way too much advice given by people with zero qualifications, and people reading the forum are often not in a position to know who is credible and who is not.

I enjoy a good technical debate with technically qualified people, and it doesn't (particularly) bother me to be wrong.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

o separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm not saying that all riggers always give great advice or correct answers, but here on DZ.com there is way too much advice given by people with zero qualifications, and people reading the forum are often not in a position to know who is credible and who is not.

A PIA style forum on DZ.com would be a great addition. Limiting posters to only those with rigger tickets would be even better. Have it moderated by a Master Rigger (or non-US equivilent), but leave it readable to non-riggers. It would give an opportunity to watch and learn, but then for people such as myself, without a ticket, we could PM the person(s) in the discussion for questions, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sounds good:
Have only riggers to be able to post in the rigging forum with everyone having read privilege.

I liked in the old rigger forum the e-mail notice when some one posted a new message/warning/safety bulletin.

Thank you Mark , about the compliment about my home-made fabric permeability tester story.
I rebuild it last years.
See the new manual:
http://members.a1.net/wimdevos/Permeablastermanual.pdf
Who did not see the old one, here is the old manual:
http://members.a1.net/wimdevos/Betriebshandbuch.pdf

Willem (Wim) de Vos

I liked in the old rigger forum the e-mail notice when some one posted a new message/warning/safety bulletin.

Not quite the same, but so you know: in the dropzone.com forums you can get an email when a new post is made to a specific thread. When looking at the thread, click on 'Watch Thread' in the top right. You'll then get emailed when a thread is added to.

I've PMed sangiro few times about this.

I would like the Gear and Rigging forum on DZ to be split in two forums and have only riggers to be able to post in the rigging forum with everyone having read privilege.

HH has been considering this for a long time now - I have talked to him about it as well. There are two old threads Terry posted in Suggestions & Feedback here and here. The more input HH gets for this feature, the higher he will place it on his priority list.

The PIA Riggers Forum - I used it and liked it. There were a lot of highly skilled and experienced Riggers that posted there but not here in the DZ.com Forums. I will be happy to see it return, and voted for "after-the-post" moderation like we have here.
Arrive Safely

John

To separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm not saying that all riggers always give great advice or correct answers, but here on DZ.com there is way too much advice given by people with zero qualifications, and people reading the forum are often not in a position to know who is credible and who is not.

I enjoy a good technical debate with technically qualified people, and it doesn't (particularly) bother me to be wrong.

Agreed 100%!!!! I love the idea of let anyone read, but not post, if you don't have any rigger certificate.
I think the forum should involve somehow all the manufacturers. This will help our rigging community to get answers quick and right on the first time, regardeless if you agree or not.
Cheers,
Gus Marinho