voludo

tough decision: would you give up skydiving, to..

There is a chance to skydive where I live.
She could have moved where I was.
I could have enough case to go to boogies.
There are even BASE sites nearby.

And I gave up skydiving five years ago because it moved down several notches in importance.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

be with the person you truly love?

If you do, you'll later regret not being able to skydive. And that will start eating away at your relationship, resulting in dissatisfaction. Then she would no longer be the person that you "truly love". Next thing you know you're getting a divorce, and she's taking you for all the money you've got. And now you can't even afford to buy a new skydiving rig, even though you want one.

Screw all that. Just keep on skydiving.

Nail on the head. Worthy of being quoted.
Muff #5048

be with the person you truly love?

If you do, you'll later regret not being able to skydive. And that will start eating away at your relationship, resulting in dissatisfaction. Then she would no longer be the person that you "truly love". Next thing you know you're getting a divorce, and she's taking you for all the money you've got. And now you can't even afford to buy a new skydiving rig, even though you want one.
Screw all that. Just keep on skydiving.

B| OUCH!
Will you be 'checking' any of that 'baggage' today Sir? Or is it all 'carry-on' ? :D:P
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

About starting up a dz, I don't know many people who want to land at 12,000 ft above sea level.

Some years back I was talking to a guy who had done a demo jump somewhere in the CO rockies at 10,000'. He assured me that the turf-surfing ability of the PD 260 was greatly under-appreciated.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I would find a way to skydive nearby if I felt I had to move to a place like that. Sure you won't get to do as many jumps, but find a willing pilot at a nearby airport that's closer to sea level, or just travel to the closest dropzone when you can afford it. I would jump as often as I can even if it's not twice a year. Or look further for suitable BASE objects, jump from something other than a plane, or whatever else you can.

I don't want to live my life without flying. I would rent or buy a plane nearby and have my girlfriend fly me to altitude, or save my money for BASE trips.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

There is a chance to skydive where I live.
She could have moved where I was.
I could have enough case to go to boogies.
There are even BASE sites nearby.

And I gave up skydiving five years ago because it moved down several notches in importance.

Definitally worth repeating.

If she makes you feel alive the way that jumping does then go for it.

Although on the other hand does she truly love you like you think she does?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I would assume if you truly loved HER and not IT, you wouldn't even have to ask this question. :P

I think that's the point. He does love skydiving. Otherwise, as you say, easy decision.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

2 things: 1-It's not everyday you find true love, & 2-skydiving is not the only thing in the world

...of course you'll do what your heart tells you to do which is the right thing, but question is....if in fact it's true love, would you ask her to give up a part of her life that she loves doing...? It would be SELFISH!

True love: to me, is the whole package....loving a person for who he/she is...from personality, attitude, hobies, physical appearance, understanding, etc.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

True love: to me, is the whole package....loving a person for who he/she is...from personality, attitude, hobies, physical appearance, understanding, etc.

...Shooting heroine?
I suspect some people who claim "it's not love if you can't do what you love blahblahblah" are hiding their fear of having to make a lifestyle altering decision...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Would I love myself if I gave up something I know is part of me?

This is a difficult question to answer, especially given that I'm not currently in love, and haven't been in a while. I'd like to think that love conquers all, and having the love would be more than a replacement for the skydiving. But it'd be like denying yourself ever seeing the color blue again forever: could you do that, knowing how much you'd miss it? It would leave a gaping hole in what you remembered loving about life.

I'd say no, I would not want to accept love if it meant having to accept missing out on a very favored part of my life. I'd look for love that did not deny me what I am.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

I'm still haunted by the notion that IF I WERE in TRUE LOVE right now, I'd probably pick the true love over skydiving. There would be pangs, but if it were really... true love? Come on, that's like, set it all on fire kinda feeling, hard to beat, you know? Give up anything for it kinda feeling.

But right now, not being in love, it's easy to say, "I'd hold off on even getting involved if I felt it was likely to mean I'd have to quit skydiving."
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Almost.

It would be La Paz..

There's no skydiving that I know of in Bolivia at all. There was a place in Santa Cruz but I talked to a buddy who runs a flight school at the same airport last week, and the jump plane hasn't been there in months.

I think Lima is the closest place to jump, with Collique just north of the city, but they only jump on Sundays and you'd be lucky to get 4 jumps so it's not really worth flying there. For a bit of money you could fly to Buenos Aires, Asuncion or Sao Paulo for a weekend of jumping.

I'm working with a couple of guys from La Paz right now, if you need any info on the place let me know.
I got nuthin

Life is short, do what ever makes you happiest, the longest. You can always change your mind later if you want. We aren't running out of skydives.

(falls to floor, fanning herself)

I completely agree with Turtle. I quit for 13 years; there was plenty of stuff to fill my time, and I enjoyed most of it. I enjoy skydiving. You can always take the occasional trip to make a few jumps. Just remember that you're not as current if you do something like that.

Skydiving isn't everything.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Life is short, do what ever makes you happiest, the longest. You can always change your mind later if you want. We aren't running out of skydives.

(falls to floor, fanning herself)

I completely agree with Turtle. I quit for 13 years; there was plenty of stuff to fill my time, and I enjoyed most of it. I enjoy skydiving. You can always take the occasional trip to make a few jumps. Just remember that you're not as current if you do something like that.

Skydiving isn't everything.

Wendy W.

:o

:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wow.. didn't expect that much response to this thread. thanks for the inputs.

Honestly, giving up skydiving completely doesn't seem like an option to me. not being with the woman I love - even less so. Guess I have to look for a solution that allows both.. at least on long terms.

The other thing said many times, seems true as well. Skydiving won't run away. Although if fuel prices keep going up like that, we sooner or later won't be able to afford it any longer. But that's a whole different topic.

I could never understand how people could give up skydiving unless injuries, etc. force them to. But then, I never really believed in true love either..

No tattoos though, tattoos are permanent. Sly

that's exactly why I'm probably the only skydiver who doesn't have at least one tattoo. I even had to fake one with a magic marker to get past student status.

But right now, not being in love, it's easy to say, "I'd hold off on even getting involved if I felt it was likely to mean I'd have to quit skydiving."

It's not like we could really control that, is it?

I quit for 13 years;

Wow.. lots of respect to that. Must've been great to do your first jump after 13 years..

...Shooting heroine?
I suspect some people who claim "it's not love if you can't do what you love blahblahblah" are hiding their fear of having to make a lifestyle altering decision...

so true. all of it. It certainly is the whole package. Including the compromises. I think skydiving is somehow similar to drug addiction. It makes you spend all your money on it, lose some friends, find some new, sometimes ruins your career, health, etc..

And then, isn't it the lifestyle altering decisions that are the hardest to take?

One thing to consider is that if you quit for a move right now, you don't know what the future is going to bring. You make plans, and see what happens.

Maybe a really great job will come along in 5 years, by which time she will have disengaged herself from some of the need for constant family contact. And eventually, maybe she can be the one to visit family, rather than you being the one to visit skydiving.

And when I quit for 13 years I sure didn't know it was going to be that long. But I had 1100 jumps when I quit, so it wasn't like I'd missed out on the experience.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)