mattyblast

What colors did you choose for your canopy & why?

just ordered mine in navy blue with cell 2 in white with a white slider. i chose this for a number of reasons, it looks pretty swish, i like blue, darker colours are the most visible in the sky (black being the most easy to see, all about contrast apparently, and also why alot of training aircraft are black) and i chose the white slider for some contrast when packing (on the advice of the rep)

I used to work as a deckhand on freighters delivering general cargo to Vietnamese ports during the war. Later Congress authorized a special ribbon for such merchant seaman, similar to the military Vietnam War ribbon, except our ends were blue instead of green. So I just bought my very first rig (arrived from Mirage two weeks ago!) originally with a Spectre the same colors as my ribbon - three red stripes separated by yellow panels with blue stabilizers - but .... I got a little worried about packing brand new ZP, so at the last minute I switched to a used Spectre PD had in stock. Many of you have seen it on some of their videos - three lemon panels in the center, flanked by purple, then blackberry. When I downsize, then I'll get my true colors.

First (custom) canopy was Silver, Black and Red (because my suit and helmut and container were Charcoal, Black and Red). And the canopy was not symmetrical just because I wanted it to be easy to ID in the sky and all the rest were.

Then I thought - you don't see the canopy until it's out of the container so why match to the other junk?

My colors are now Dark Green, Charcoal and Black, but my last custom canopy is Lemon, Tangerine, White and all the ribs are white. I like it, it's VERY visible in the sky and if I cut away will be much easier to find. And the contrast to the other colors appeals for some reason to me.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The first time you bought your own brand-spanking-new canopy, what color scheme did you choose, and what was your inspiration?

(Note: I'm not looking for recommendations, here--just interested in hearing the stories!)

Well, I was going to get pink, but aerodyne doesn't make pink canopies, and I wanted the Pilot, so it's red for me. With two white stripes. Solid colors are fo reserves. I like bright colors on a canopy, and it's also easier for others to see me and easier for me to find my cutaway main.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

The first time you bought your own brand-spanking-new canopy, what color scheme did you choose, and what was your inspiration?

(Note: I'm not looking for recommendations, here--just interested in hearing the stories!)

My canopy colours are in the picture here

<=====

Stock colours readily available and I like Blue and Red, always have.
My first rig and canopy was Blue and Red, purchased in 1976.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

My canopy is black-black-white-royal-royal-royal-white-black-black.

I actually chose those colors for my boyfriend because the canopy was originally his and he gave it to me when he down sized. I chose those colors because I thought they looked good on him and I picked the pattern because I hadn't seen to many canopys with the same one.

I chose Turquoise, silver and black for all the rest of my gear because I liked they go with my skin tone.
Fly like a girl

Solid royal blue.

Why? It's my favourite colour, and I've always liked solid colour canopies.

EDIT: It also stands out on the ground. Might be slightly tough to see FROM the ground though.

Not sure how visible it'll be in low-light conditions...

Solid royal blue.

Why? It's my favourite colour, and I've always liked solid colour canopies.

EDIT: It also stands out on the ground. Might be slightly tough to see FROM the ground though.

Not sure how visible it'll be in low-light conditions...

True enough. Hopefully it won't end up being something I ever have an issue with.
cavete terrae.

geez, i had a real nice pink sabre for sale awhile ago...

Well, I hear the openings are better on a Pilot anyway.

Can't choose something as important as my main only based on color.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Just for the sake of argument:

1) I'd consider the 'bright neon eyesore of a canopy' factor as pretty important when chosing a canopy.

Sure, it shouldn't ever be an issue, but we live in the real world. It's never been close enough to be dangerous, but i've turned somewhere i could have sworn was safe only to find myself staring at a navy blue and teal canopy. And i've had the same happen to me from the other perspective. the orange and yellow ones though (not to everyones taste, and the bugs love them) don't have that problem...

2) As long as it opens, turns and lands 'ok', that's all i really care about in a main canopy. Unless you're swooping, i think most people live far away from the outer limts of their canopys performance envelope -and whether you jump a Sab2, Spect, Pilot or any of the equivalents, it makes dick all difference if we really think about it. They all work just fine. Some finer than others, but all fine. So the colour is as much of a safety factor as anything. It'll minimise the chances of someone else killing ya - then all you have to do is not bounce yourself!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Didn't like the color at first...but it grew on me...and nobody else has those colors at my dz. 4 Purple cells and 3 Gold cells...it is highly visable...and it was the last 190 Triathlon that Aerodyne had in stock for $700 ;) I LOVE my canopy!

So YOU"RE the one who got the last one...the one that robbed me of getting one because I was a slow-assed dumbass in ordering.
I hope you enjoy it, dog.

:D:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Didn't like the color at first...but it grew on me...and nobody else has those colors at my dz. 4 Purple cells and 3 Gold cells...it is highly visable...and it was the last 190 Triathlon that Aerodyne had in stock for $700 ;) I LOVE my canopy!

So YOU"RE the one who got the last one...the one that robbed me of getting one because I was a slow-assed dumbass in ordering.

:P Yep...that'd be me! :) That was a kickass deal and I almost passed it up too! :D I'm enjoying the shit out of flying her...NOT the packing of that slickassed bitch! :S Thank you for passing up that deal. :P

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

:P Yep...that'd be me! :) That was a kickass deal and I almost passed it up too! :D I'm enjoying the shit out of flying her...NOT the packing of that slickassed bitch! :S Thank you for passing up that deal. :P

One night I woke up at 2:00 AM and was like 'I got to get me one of those Tris. I'll regret it if I don't.' So I got one of the Tri 120s @ $700 :)
Mine is Jade-Silver-Silver-Jade-Silver-Silver-Jade. There was one more left in stock, but I liked the looks of this one better.

No problems at all packing it though .. a 120 in a container that used to hold a 170 :P
Johan.
I am. I think.