Hazarrd

Wings vs. Micron/V3

Looking to get a new container and have narrowed it down to either a wings or micron. ive read threads on both of them and from what i gather....

wings - extremely comfortable (not sure if more so than the micron..??), less expensive than micron, nicer looking (my opinion).

micron - solid rig, skyhook a plus.

if the skyhook is the only added benefit of the v3/micron, then im not too sure i would spend the extra money. i dont want to get into the skyhook discussion but i would like more input on both rigs. specifically, i cant seem to find anything on the forums that would steer me away from the v3/micron besides price. anyone have any complaints? on the same token, i didnt really find anything significantly bad about the wings except for some old posts about riser flaps, but from the people ive spoken to, thats not a problem.

thanks in advance for the replies. oh and if you want to post a pic of your wings or micron, i wouldnt mind seeing some for my color selection.

.-.

I own a wings, hand have had a few issues with them. One is the excess steering line keepers suck, on mine the main riser covers come open when tracking hard, or head down. The freefly handle does not stay in place good enough. 2 people at the DZ have had the stitching of the pinstriping start to come off of rigs with less than 50 jumps on them.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

My teammates and I have been really happy with the comfort in freefall and under canopy, craftsmanship, and durability of our Vector 3s.

I've owned a wings as well, by the way. I preffer Vectors, but you should really jump (not just try on) both to get a feel for how their harness designs work with your body type.

Here are some pics of my vectors...

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

One is the excess steering line keepers suck,

a problem that is rectified on the new Wings risers, but is easily rectified by your friendly Rigger

the main riser covers come open when tracking hard, or head down.

Have you tried talking to Anike at Wings. I have seen a few rigs that have had issues like this over time, from top name brands as well. I had mine shipped form Australia to the factory and back in 11 days. Best Customer Service Ever!!

The freefly handle does not stay in place good enough

It does take a little practice in putting the bag in to get a good snug fit. What size rig / main combo do you have?

As for Micron or Wings well - bliston got it right - Jump them first!

enjoy whichever one you get
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

That's like saying the a Toyota Tercel vs. a Lexus. They will both do the same job, but when you start looking at the little differences, you will see where the extra money went. If money were no factor, the choice should be obvious. If money is a factor, you should be able to get a used V3 for less than a new wings (once you add options).

Yes I did talk to her about the riser covers, and the reply was to put the main riser covers UNDER the flap that says put main risers here. This effectively places the main risers directly on the reserve risers. It has not given me problems since then, but seems like it is defeating the design of the rig to do that. The main is a spectre 230 the reserve is a smart 250 the rig size is a W27. My rig is packed by a packer with tens of thousands of pack jobs, and he cannot get it to pack so that the freefly handle is tight.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I own a RWS rig and am very pleased with it. When I was looking at buying gear I asked several of my instructors what they would recommend. They were all hesitant to give me specific recommendations on containers. After a little prodding one of the said, “Well, I have 4 RWS rigs, what do you think I’d recommend?!?!”
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

After a long search, I just bought a V3 this year, and have no regrets. Sure it cost a little more, but over the number of years I plan to keep it, it was miniscule difference. I love the fit. It's a V350 with a Samurai 170 and PD 176R. I like that the rig is a little narrower and longer than some of the others. Puts the freefly handle a little lower on the back and easier to reach for me since I have some shoulder range of motion issues.

I like the french hardware on the leg straps. Seem much stronger than others. Stainless is standard. And the Skyhook has already saved my ass once. I like the wider chest strap, feels more secure. Construction, fit, finish and service is A+.

I like my Wings okay, but the FF handle was such a problem that I never jumped it. Unless they have made a significant improvement since January, give it a pass and get a hackey or tube handle. Service is good, they shipped me a replacement pilot chute/hackey in 3 days, before I returned the one with the FF handle.

I like my RWS Vector... My only complaint is it took FOREVER to be delivered, but once it was, it was worth the wait... Now, RWS has half the delivery time, so I say, that is no longer an issue...

Well, the RWS motto should be “We make the best stuff! We just don’t make it very fast.”
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I dissected both rigs and there is no doubt the V3 is very well built. Said that, I also find the Wings exceptionally well build even more so than the Odyssey for instance, in disagreement with billvon.

I also had problems with the FF handle on my Wings and would not recommend it.

By the way I saw stitching problems on V3s with less than 50 jumps, there is not a single rig out there that has not had problems.

IMO it comes down to the skyhook and if you can jump the V3; by this I mean that RWS does not make containers for mismatched main/reserve. For instance, I could not jump a V3 unless I downsized my reserve by 30sf and that it's not going to happen.

If you are 100% sold on the skyhook and the V3 fits your main/reserve then there is no choice. If you don't care about the skyhook save yourself some bucks and go for the Wings, just my 0.02
Memento Audere Semper

I recently bought a new Wings. Though I don't have much to compare it to, I love it.

I have experienced all the positives that you've read about, they are true.

I had one issue that was quickly and painlessly resolved.

For me the bottom line was that I couldn't find anything really negative about them and you just can't beat their military discount (at least not that I could find).

Here's some pics.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Have you given any consideration to RI Voodoo? If I wasn't jumping a Vec, I would definitely jump a Voodoo. PPL are on the fence about looks, sure. That said, quality of workmanship, design, and comfort are all top notch.

If you HAVE given it some thought, well just disregard this post. B|

I dissected both rigs and there is no doubt the V3 is very well built. Said that, I also find the Wings exceptionally well build

I scrutinized a Wings and a Micron yesterday, and the build quality is essentially the same, very high.

It boils down to personal preference, but not quality.

For Great Deals on Gear

It boils down to personal preference, but not quality.

All I will say is that there is a lot more to quality than what you can see.

amen - take your d-bag apart and see if it's been cut with scissors or hot knifed.....

:o:P:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

All I will say is that there is a lot more to quality than what you can see.

You would be surprised what a good inspection will detect. Perhaps if you did a side by side inspection you would see that Wings really are built to similar quality standards as a Vector. Not all containers compare favorably, but some do. Some might even show more attention to detail. ;)

Right, Chris. I don't think there is such a thing these days (at least not in the USA) as a "poorly constructed" rig. I have owned a little of everything in my nearly 25 years skydiving, but my current sport rigs are Wings EXT's. The Micron/V3 is a great rig, but feels stiff on my back. My last Vector was a Vector 2 (I have owned four RWS rigs), but my wife owns a V3 as her backup rig and really likes it now that it's broken in a bit.

Chuck

amen - take your d-bag apart and see if it's been cut with scissors or hot knifed.....

We do not cut anything with scissors.
All we use is hot knifed, and all thread ends are burnt.
Just wanted to clarify that, if you are saying that we use scissors when we make our rigs/dbags or parts in general.

As it has been said here, before, there is no such thing as a bad rig anymore. At least not in this part of the world.
What it boils down to is personal preference.
And people who owns mirage love them and recommend them to people, people who owns javelins love them and recommends them, and the list goes on.
Of course all rigs, parachutes can have flaws in them, after all these things are built by people and not by robots, and human errors will unfortunately never stop... I think the issue is how you handle it once a problem might occur.

So Hazzard, my suggestion to you is since you have narrowed it down to either a Wings or a Vector.
Try to get a hold of both and try it. Not just on the ground, but try to jump one and see witch one YOU like the best!!!

Ankie
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

I like my RWS Vector... My only complaint is it took FOREVER to be delivered, but once it was, it was worth the wait... Now, RWS has half the delivery time, so I say, that is no longer an issue...

Well, the RWS motto should be “We make the best stuff! We just don’t make it very fast.”

That's a BS statement, I ordered my Micron V308 and it was in my hands less than 5 weeks from the date the order was faxed
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

the wait list was up to what, 18 weeks? As the poster said, in the past.

With the volume that parachute manufacturers do, it's a tough choice to expand production as RWS did. Safer from a profit perspective to fully utilize insufficient production that to underutilize excessive production capacity.

That's a BS statement, I ordered my Micron V308 and it was in my hands less than 5 weeks from the date the order was faxed

Wow, touchy, touchy. ;) Hey, I’m a loyal RWS customer and I do think they make the best stuff (IMHO). I’m about to order my second rig from them. However, I’ve ordered enough replacement parts, etc. that I don’t expect them to be fast with anything. The “motto” for RWS comes from my rigger who’s done business with them for decades. I think he’s got a pretty good perspective too. :)