jtnesbitt

When to ask for the big raise

So I am getting ready to ask my boss for a 50% raise. I know it sounds like a lot but its well deserved and not inflated. I dont want to argue about the amount on here because it's irrelevant. It's what I should be making based on what i am doing, my growth, education, background, experience, and its what the guy in my position made before me before i replaced him after he was caught stealing from us and a half dozen other companies. (And my credentials are all better than taht guys anyway.)

So, I want to know when to ask. My boss literally just walked in the door from a week in Vegas. It was a business trip but it was also pleasure. Out client put him up in a monsterous suite at Caesers that runs 2800 a night and they paid for everything including a lot of gamlbing, dinners, drinks, lapdances, champagne room trips, etc. Not to mention our company made a lot of money from that trip. While he was gone I ran the company for him in all it's capacities. (Note I am already the second in command.)

So, my question is, since it was a GREAT trip for him, and he is in a good mood, when should i sit down to have the talk? This afternoon? Tomorrow? Later this week?

Thoughts?
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I can't tell you when the best time to talk to him about that raise, but I can tell you that I got a 50% raise once. Granted it was from $7 an hour to $10.50 an hour back in 1995 at an architectural design firm because I was their best drafter.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

OK, lets try this again. We are not discussing the amount. It doesnt matter. Our business is actually booming because of the economy.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

50% raise?? you got balls :P

Go for though, Worst that can happen is he says no.

...well, I lie, the worst that can happen is losing your job and being homeless but I wouldnt dwell on that.

In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

Let me put it this way.

So far, Q1 2009 is up 72% from Q1 2007. So once again this economy is not hurting us in the slightest. In fact it is helping us on many different fronts.

So lets not talk about the amount, or the economy, because it is completely irrelevant to my question.

OK, lets try this again. We are not discussing the amount. It doesnt matter. Our business is actually booming because of the economy.

Remember how the business is doing is only part of the equation. What it would cost to replace you is also part of it. What are your prospects of getting the kind of money elsewhere, in this economy?

You should wait untill he has been back at least 2 full days. So he has time to catch up on things. I would not want to deal with anything like that from one of my workers just after being out of town. Give him a few days but not to many. You want it to be in the next week so he will think of the fact that you took care of things while he was gone.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Are you asking for a 50% raise or to be appropriately compensated for your services. If it's the latter, do not go in and ask for a raise, you will fail. First, draft up an employment agreement (Google it) and spend a few days on it.

New title, role & responsibilities new compensation package (Salary, bonuses (metrics for bonuses [EBIT] is usually a good one], 401K contribution, health care, short/long term disability, life insurance and any other perks [stock options or stock purchase program], be sure to include a clause of confidentiality).

Then, send him a meeting planner with a couple of days advance lead for him to chew on it - embedded with a nice LONG positive cover letter about your wishing to stay with the company for a long time along and why with the proposed employment agreement.

Good Luck.

Keith

EDIT: Please understand that employees cost employers ~20.25% more than what they are being paid.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hmmm.. I would say that if you don't know when the appropriate time is to come in with a request like than, then you may be negotiating *way* out of your league!!! :ph34r:

In all seriousness, though.. The *when* part isn't as important as the *how*..

First, come up with every possible objection he, his bosses, your colleagues and HR could come up with. Write them down. Now come up with solid arguments in your favour to counter those objections. This way, you'll be prepared to calmly face his arguments and inch closer to your goal. So that deals with the negative.

Next, come up with every possible reason why it's in his/the company's interest to give you more money.. Don't write down reasons that benefit you - that is pretty much irrelevant. Reasons that strengthen your argument:
-you're difficult to replace
-you've demonstrated loyalty and are going to continue in this vain
-you have added *value* to the business, as opposed to just doing what the job *requires* (ie: you've brought more to the role than other people could/would)
-you have something to offer moving forward (otherwise, he's rewarding you for something you've already done, which is pointless from their point of view unless you're going to be doing more of it in the future)
-note that what your predecessor was earning bears little relevance to your arguments.. your predecessor might have been better at his job (or maybe not).. but the fact remains the company already knows you're willing to work for less.. in fact, this may be a key reason why they picked you to do it in the first place.. in fact, part of what makes you so valuable may in fact be that you're "cheap", so be conscious that asking for more money could really work against you.

Overall, go in there with solid, indisputable evidence of your achievements.

Have a positive attitude. Clearly demonstrate that you are worth every penny, but don't be cocky or whiney about it. Make sure you reaffirm how much you love your job and how devoted you are to it - show your loyalty. But you need to be prepared to face the fact that they will not budge. If you go in unreasonably high, you will never be able to negotiate again - both sides need to feel they've lost a little and (more importantly) gained a little.

If possible, try and get your boss to tell you what a great job you've done *before* you go tooting your own horn. You'll then get a good feel for how cheeky you can be with the amount you ask for!

Whatever you do, don't back down. Certainly don't take the first offer. If you're worth it, they'll come in with a respectably low offer. If you hold out and you're really worth it, they will up that to some kind of offer that you can both grudgingly accept. If you're the most kickass employee ever, they will just say yes, and you need to NOT talk yourself out of a sale, accept with polite dignity, and laugh (quietly) all the way to the bank!!!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

BTW.. 50%.. My first response to that would be: so you think you're doing 3 hours of charity per day?!!:D:D:D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Ah ha ha!! Yeah - that obviously helps!! My ex's father once told me you always get the best deals when you:
a. have nothing to lose
b. don't really want it in the first place :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Let me put it this way.

So far, Q1 2009 is up 72% from Q1 2007. So once again this economy is not hurting us in the slightest. In fact it is helping us on many different fronts.

So lets not talk about the amount, or the economy, because it is completely irrelevant to my question.

My $.02...being the number 2 guy, does that make you more involved with the sales/business development side? If so, an adjustment of the commission tables may be a better bet (more rewarding too, if you calculate the accelerators too).

It may be easier to justify too, reasoning that you'll continue to have skin in the game.

Still your call either way, I would probably use a bit of documentation too.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Personally, I would never ask for a raise.

If my boss doesn't see the work and effort that I put in then maybe there is some lack of communication/or he/she is not seeing eye to eye on my performance.

Also- since I don't know your job title, sales are up this quarter, but do you know the financial status of your company? Have access to financial statements?
If your company is in debt, they would be using the quarterly earnings to pay it off. Also look at the forcasted budget for your department. What about your reviews? This could be excellent support in your argument.

I've always had the thought that my work speaks for itself and that is the determination of whether I get a raise or not.

I've received several raises/bonuses and won employee of the quarter, recognized by VP's, work took me on my first skydive.. etc...

This could go a few ways. I don't know you, your boss, your job title, or work efforts, so I can't really offer any great advice besides: Good Luck!
Best Girl Scout Ever.