grimmie

Hockey Playoffs...

The only guy that could think three moves ahead in hockey was Gretzky ;) Things happen so fast in hockey that it is impossible for anybody to anticipate everything that is going to happen.

I sure don't think there is any conspiracy...imagine the damage that something like that would do. Not even fucking Bettman is that stupid.

I dislike the way everything is up for review after the fact these days. "The league office will review that" No wonder these refs won't make calls if they are going to be second guessed all the time.

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The last Ducks game I went to one of the refs ended up with the puck between his skates behind the Ducks' net while Mike Brown was trying to get it. The ref pretty much refused to move and I don't think Brown said a word other than to slap his stick really hard across the ref's shins. Only then did the ref move. That made me smile. B|

Yeah, and if a Red Wing player had done that it'd be a 5 minute misconduct, ejection, and a suspension.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

The last Ducks game I went to one of the refs ended up with the puck between his skates behind the Ducks' net while Mike Brown was trying to get it. The ref pretty much refused to move and I don't think Brown said a word other than to slap his stick really hard across the ref's shins. Only then did the ref move. That made me smile. B|

Yeah, and if a Red Wing player had done that it'd be a 5 minute misconduct, ejection, and a suspension.

May I remind you Mike Brown did in fact get that on a perfectly legal hit on Hudler? :P

edited to add: minus the suspension of course.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Brown had no other choice, as far as I'm concerned. The puck was in 'play' and his job is to get the puck. That dumb-ass ref should have been paying attention and got out of the way. Maybe if, this happens a few more times, the refs might pay better attention. These new refs are dumber than a box of hammers! Like I said earlier, I don't know where these refs came from but, they must've slept through most of their training. Where's McGough when you need him?[:/] All the good refs have retired.

Chuck

and yes i agree, there is a horrible lack of consistancy throughout the playoffs with reguards to refing

need to get the junior A refs out there, they would do a much better job
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

When you see the 'play' coming right at you, seems to me, the first reaction would be to get out of the way! Granted, some calls get reviewed but, they should still, make the call. Sometimes, a coach will request a review on some calls. A spearing call, tripping, boarding, etc., are seldom reviewed. I have rarely seen a call rescinded in the past. As of late, it seems to be more common. Bottom line... the refs need to make the call! After all, they are supposed to be referees!

Chuck

Been searching this morning, without luck, for a transcript.

Found this on the Pittsburgh Gazette site --

Pittsburgh, PA (UPI) - Gary Bettman, commissioner of the National Hockey League, said in a statement released today that he has formed a Select Committee to look into complaints about the officiating throughout this year's Stanley Cup playoffs. " I think the officiating in general has been excellent, but, as in any endeavor, when issues arise we have to address them." Bettman also said " I am particularly disturbed concerning the allegations that, during the game, the referees are scoping out hot chicks in the stands and putting their thumbs up their asses......that kind of non-vigilance cannot and will not be tolerated."

In a related story, Penguins General Manager Mario Lemeux said that the Penguins' practice today included working on a 7-on-5 configuration that they " hope to incorporate into Game 4, if conditions permit. We were also experimenting with an 8-on-5 scenario, but quickly realized that even a legally-blind referee would spot that in an instant."

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Funny stuff! They need to address 'why', when something does happen, that should be called, the refs stand there looking like a tree full of owls!

Pittsburgh would probably try something like that... if, they thought they could get away with it!:o:D

On a more serious note... Draper and Datsyuk are supposed to be back tomorrow night! Abdelkader will probably be benched.

Chuck

The guy has been really good and has added a good deal to the Wings line-up. We'd probably hear more of him if, his last name was Crosby or Malkin! I have a hunch, we'll see more of him next regular season... we can hope!
As for Datsyuk, the Wings really need him back in the line-up. He's really good on the penalty kill and he and Holmstrom work very good together on the ice. Though, he has only one goal in the play-offs, he gets the puck in the opponents zone and makes plays. He's definately rested and ready.;)

Chuck

thursday is gonna be a very key game.

If the pens win it, they will have a ton of momentum heading back to detroit for game 5.

If they lose they are down 3-1 and detroit will be heading home with a huge lead and likely hoist the cup on home ice

looking forward to a great game 4, just hope the refs dont fuck it up :S

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Absolutely! Hopefully, Datsyuk and Draper can supply the spark to get the Wings back in 'their' game. I'm anxious to watch yet, I am really not looking forward to the continuous 'love fest'
the announcers on VS gush on Crosby and Malkin. I really get tired of their one-sided coverage.
Hopefully, the referees will have passed their vision tests and have the testicular strength to make the right calls!

Chuck

The refs have been pitifull. I always thought having two guys out there would take command away from the single ref system. Bill Chadwick, Andy V, Kerry Fraser and others in history always would take command when things got going out of hand. I think in a way the players respected that ref and knew what they could and couldn't get away with. They didn't miss as many calls as two blind mice.
The announcers have to pump Crosby and Malkin. The NHL is starving for attention. If we were on ESPN it wouldn't have to be so over the top. I think they gush about Zetterberg and Lidstrom a lot also, with good reason.
The NHL needs to promote the sport first and then the athletes. It's much easier to promote the NBA by promoting the stars. Kobe, LeBron, etc. Have you watched an NBA playoff game this year? Unwatchable if you are a hockey fan. Too much slow play and foul shooting. The NHL needs to promote the sport first, then the players. The problem is the translation to TV. The Versus camera guys still can't follow the action without making me dizzy. We need to get folks in the stands at all levels. Remember the Panthers run at the Cup, with thousands of plastic rats thrown on the ice after Mellanby killed one in the locker room? Hockey will play anywhere as long as it is a winning team. I have been attending LA Kings games for years. You could save time at the Fabulous Forum by introducing the fans to the players. Then came Gretzky. Then came Hollywood and sellout crowds with Ronny and Nancy Reagan in the stands.
I remember when Gretzky was with the Oilers and they came to town. Everyone couldn't stand him. Whiner, crybaby, you name it we called him that! Then he came to our team. He saved the league.
The same with Mario. He was hyped and no one liked him outside of the 'Burgh. 30 other teams GM's would kill their mothers to have those two.
Remember Kariya, Lindros and Jagr in those commercials? The league has to do the same with Malkin and Crosby. It's trendy to hate the good guys if they aren't on your team.
It was amazing no penalty was called on the too many men for the Pens. There has been some bad missed calls also. But I'm just going to sit back and watch the two best teams in the league slug it out for Lord Stanley's Cup. I savor moments like these, because soon Lidstrom and Ozzie will be retired and Crosby and Malkin may never be back to the finals.
I have been a Penguins fan since I went to my first NHL game there in 1978. Man we suffered through some lean years. I have been a Kings fan since I moved West many seasons ago, but have given up on them. Hell, the best team we ever had was when a soon to be shyster felon owned them. Now they're nothing more than a "rich broads tax write off".
I'm just hoping this goes seven, because what the hell is there to watch in the summer??? GOLF?????:S:PB|:ph34r:

Go Pens!!

And it's been great seeing jumpers with an interest in hockey!

you gotta get CBC, when my bell dish went down for a bit and i had to resort to Versus to watch the games.....i felt like muting the sound :S

CBC announcers are actually pretty good and talk about all the players, not just crosby malkin ovie etc.

Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I know that's right! During the regular season, I get the hockey channels and one of them is CBC. Those guys, are the best... period ...hands-down
It's a real pleasure to listen to them because they are so un-biased and call a spade a spade. I have to find some way of getting CBC, that's all there is to it!

Chuck

A lotta truth there. What I get tired of is, having some athlete shoved down my throat as the very, very, very, best in the whole wide world and when you really look at his numbers, he's barely above average. Jason Abdelkader did better so far, in the play-offs than Crosby! Ever hear of him before? This kid is good... why isn't he 'promoted'? All teams do it and have done it for years and years.
A lot of people don't watch hockey because they don't understand it. Promoting some player and making him a 'god of the sport' doesn't really promote the sport or get people to understand what's going on. The way they promote certain players, it's like a gushing flow of un-bridled man love! After a while, it just gets old and tiring! I just want to watch hockey and they can cut the other crap. Announcers need to watch Canadian announcers and learn something! They do hockey the way it should be done. After all... "It's a Canadian game!" B|

Go Wings!

Chuck

Oh, yes I have! Leafs fans are... well... Leafs fans!:D They are very passionate, to say the least! Much like Montreal! I didn't say the announcers were 'totally' un-biased but, they are nowhere near the announcers we have in the states.
I just don't see how, promoting two players on one team promotes hockey!

Chuck

A lotta truth there. What I get tired of is, having some athlete shoved down my throat as the very, very, very, best in the whole wide world and when you really look at his numbers, he's barely above average.

That's Bettman's strategy. He looks at the NBA success with identifying players very young who turn out to be superstars (LeBron and Kobe) who not only carry their team but in some respects carry the league. I really think Bettman believes that if he can identify a 5-year old kid who turns out to be the next Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzkey that the NHL will fully recover as a league.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

Been searching this morning, without luck, for a transcript.

Found this on the Pittsburgh Gazette site --

Pittsburgh, PA (UPI) - Gary Bettman, commissioner of the National Hockey League, said in a statement released today that he has formed a Select Committee to look into complaints about the officiating throughout this year's Stanley Cup playoffs. " I think the officiating in general has been excellent, but, as in any endeavor, when issues arise we have to address them." Bettman also said " I am particularly disturbed concerning the allegations that, during the game, the referees are scoping out hot chicks in the stands and putting their thumbs up their asses......that kind of non-vigilance cannot and will not be tolerated."

Do you have a link for that?

On another note:

There are a lot of allegations coming out of the Detroit Red Wings dressing room regarding the 'too many men non-call' against the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 3. Allegations to the point that there are suggestions Dennis LaRue, who was one of the two veteran referees on the ice, was allegedly yelling at the Penguins players to get off. I don't know that the video evidence supports that; this might just be part of the gamesmanship that goes on. We do know that Detroit has had some issues with the officiating and this might just be a part of the sour grapes aspect.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=280803

Bettman should've stayed in basketball! His Napoleonic complex and over-sized ego wouldnot let him do that. He needs to push HOCKEY... not just one team. To me, this gives an impression to folks in 29-other cities that their team doesn't count. Those 29 other teams have players more than worthy of just a side-line mention in some obscure sports page. To me, he is showing favoritism and bias and pressing announcers to follow suit. The League needs desparately to replace Bettman. The facts are there... what may have worked for basketball, doesn't work with hockey.

Chuck

oh the cbc anouncers are completely biased towards the leafs lol, its horrible, i hate the leafs lol. But they still call a spade a spade

But yeah they are way better then the fox sports announcers who are biased to the point of pure frustration trying to listen to the game.
Pierre Maguire for NBC/TSN is by far the worst colour guy in the history of hockey though, i wish that guy got hammered in the head with a stick again this year:D

Dudeist Skydiver # 10