Advice for kid joining US Army?

My advice is to seek an MOS in comunications

I second this. There's something about the military - they are always communicating. Force XXI is all about information systems. The Army - and all armed forces - rely on commo.

Note - when I was looking into SF (I was recruited by a couple of field grades who had an E-8 and an E-7 that were part of my OPFOR team tell them about me - I ultimately decided against it) they had thought about sending me off to get some Signal Corps training. Every SF team has a Commo NCO. Ranger Batts and Regts have commo.

Being the Signal guy with a Rnger tab is a nice thing. And Signal probably sets people up for civilian life better than anything else in the Army.

Heck, go to DLI and learn a language! Dontcha think speaking, say, Farsi would be a nice skill for SF or Ranger.

Finally - yeah. Look into ROTC. It's what I did. It's a good option and the kid will have a whole new world of possibilities. Hell, I was an 88A with a 90A qualification and they wanted me for SF.

I even got to choose my own branch! (The Army wanted me to be a tanker. I said, "I don't thinki so. I want to be a transporter.)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Is it true that you can't enlist as a guaranteed 11B you have to enlist as 11X and will then be assigned 11B or 11C? Cause I wanna be an 11B but I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy 11C.

Being chosen as a 11C is generally due to math skills, just act dumb and they'll send you packing. There used to be a 11H MOS for the TOW missilies, but I don't know if that exists anymore.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

My nephew just graduated from HS and is joining the Army. He has expressed interest in Rangers or other special ops groups. His AFQT was 95+. He's a little guy, but is really good at tennis and rock climbing. I told him to stay away from dopers, but don't know what else to say. Anyone with experience have any advice that I might pass along to him? Thanks.

Tell him to join the Marines. And demand a sign up bonus. DO NOT SIGN WITHOUT A BONUS.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

GI Bill changed recently... the benifits have been expanded...

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/benefits.htm#CH33

Right, but you still have to sign up for it right? Its not just a given?

Honestly, I don't know the process to sign up for for the Post 9-11/G.I. Bill... but it seems to me that pretty much anyone that has served for more then 90 days post 9/11/01... is elegible to use it... even if someone didn't sign up for the Mongomery GI Bill and is no longer in the service... if they served for the required ammount of time are elegible to use it...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

ok theres alot of hype in this thread about SF, when the kid clearly stated he was interested in Rangers.

For the sole purpose of giving this kid acurate advise about both areas, as i have worked with both, i will comment.

Now his mentallity will determine if he really wants to go SF or Ranger, yes they are both in te special ops, both are considered "Elite" units. But in detalin with the both, they are entirely diffrent....

If hes looking for a unit that upholds the standards to the T. Very hard core, always physically fit. If hes looking to have someone over him to lead him, guide him, mentor him. Rangers are the way to go.

If hes looking to "play by big boy rules" be buddies with your team mates, mostly on your own and expected to learn most things on your own. Then SF is the way to go..

SF is a more relaxed atmosphere, but I didnt like it and wouldnt recommend it for new soldiers. Reason being you do the whole 18X thing....make it all the way through training, you gratuate an E-5 (SGT) never leaqd a soldier, never been a soldier. Oh not to mention in the Q course you already recieved BNCOC so once you have done 6 months on your team....of E-6's and higher...you get your E-6, still never lead a soldier. Now your 23, and deploying, you have regular soldiers attached to your team from the GSC (Group Support Company) and you have to lead them, never have, dont know how.....

SF is a grown mans unit, a unit where you already know how to soldier, not a place to learn.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Is it true that you can't enlist as a guaranteed 11B you have to enlist as 11X and will then be assigned 11B or 11C? Cause I wanna be an 11B but I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy 11C.

Being chosen as a 11C is generally due to math skills, just act dumb and they'll send you packing. There used to be a 11H MOS for the TOW missilies, but I don't know if that exists anymore.

:D:D:D

Good thing I really do suck at math.

My nephew just graduated from HS and is joining the Army. He has expressed interest in Rangers or other special ops groups. His AFQT was 95+. He's a little guy, but is really good at tennis and rock climbing. I told him to stay away from dopers, but don't know what else to say. Anyone with experience have any advice that I might pass along to him? Thanks.

You've received some very good info so far in the thread. But let me ask you this, is your nephew enlisting knowing what he is getting into? If he is doing it " just for the college money" he may be in for a brutal awakening when he finds himself deployed overseas possibly in combat. He needs to realize that his first duty is to his country and that "college money" or "job skill experience" is a side benefit. I throw that out there only because I've seen people come to that realization afterwards and they're usually the unhappy ones.

Having gone the 11B (airborne infantry) to SF route myself I can say that it is a good place to cut your teeth before moving onto any SOF unit. Your nephew can always submit the paperwork to go to SF selection once he has spent some time in whatever MOS he selects. This is the longer route than going 18X but it has its benefits as it gives the soldier more time to learn what being in the Army entails, gain practical experience and mature.

As a SF Team Sergeant who has had to deal with 18X soldiers coming in right off the street, I can tell you it is hit and miss. More often than not, for every good one there are 3 that show up at the unit and need baby sitting from jump street. Ya can't really ding a guy too hard for not knowing something when he's only been in the Army for a few months, most of which is in a school environment. However, I have seen some guys come from the 18X program that were super squared away and were able to pull their weight with minimal time on the ground. I've gone into combat with a few of those types and trusted them like I would any other team guy. I've also had to deal with 18Xs that even though they were E-5s, you had to treat them like privates because they did stupid private shit at every turn.

My suggestion is that your nephew enlist for 11B, Airborne or RIP written in his contract and cut his teeth either in the 82nd or one of the Ranger battalions before going SF, if being in SF is what he wants to do and is willing to dedicate the time (years) it may take to get there.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Another alternative to the Army if your nephew is interested in SF is to Join the Air Force and be a Pararescue jumper... my cousin went that route because he wanted to be special forces but didn't want to go the Army Route...

it's a lot of work to become a PJ... but well worth the work and a very well respected career field choice.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I joined when I was 17 and have never regretted it. 25 years later, I am in Iraq and still consider it the best decision I ever made.

Agreed that everything should be in writing. Lots of people believe things about the Army without getting the facts. And most of the educational benefits are run by the VA. The Army really has no control over that.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Best advice...dont do it, unless of course he believes in fighting for a lost cause. I am in the Army, and am only glad I joined for the experience, as far as believing in what I do...that all melted away with a little common sense and a deployment to Iraq. I hate being a pawn for a government that has personal implications in war, lies to its people and soldiers, and for a government who conducts false flag operations...9-11. My 2 cents[:/]

-Evo

lol it's funny how everyone just ignores these kind of posts...

Is it just me or is US a warmonger country who just enjoys shooting and blowing up shit just for the kicks?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

ok theres alot of hype in this thread about SF, when the kid clearly stated he was interested in Rangers.

For the sole purpose of giving this kid acurate advise about both areas, as i have worked with both, i will comment.

Now his mentallity will determine if he really wants to go SF or Ranger, yes they are both in te special ops, both are considered "Elite" units. But in detalin with the both, they are entirely diffrent....

If hes looking for a unit that upholds the standards to the T. Very hard core, always physically fit. If hes looking to have someone over him to lead him, guide him, mentor him. Rangers are the way to go.

If hes looking to "play by big boy rules" be buddies with your team mates, mostly on your own and expected to learn most things on your own. Then SF is the way to go..

SF is a more relaxed atmosphere, but I didnt like it and wouldnt recommend it for new soldiers. Reason being you do the whole 18X thing....make it all the way through training, you gratuate an E-5 (SGT) never leaqd a soldier, never been a soldier. Oh not to mention in the Q course you already recieved BNCOC so once you have done 6 months on your team....of E-6's and higher...you get your E-6, still never lead a soldier. Now your 23, and deploying, you have regular soldiers attached to your team from the GSC (Group Support Company) and you have to lead them, never have, dont know how.....

SF is a grown mans unit, a unit where you already know how to soldier, not a place to learn.

I respectfully disagree with your "blanket" statement. My view is not one from outside but from within. I was in SF (ODA 552 Co B, 2nd BN, 5th SFG) back a LONG time ago (1977-1980) And my son went through the 18X program in 2000. Both us of us were fit to lead and did a good job doing it too.

steveOrino

Is it just me or is US a warmonger country who just enjoys shooting and blowing up shit just for the kicks?

No its your ignorance showing! You know as much about the US as you do about wingsuiting, only what you've read on the internet:S>:(
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Without getting this sent to SC... such harsh blanket statements can / are said about just about any country.... said statements only reflect ignorance.

Very sad.... [:/]

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Having been a Warrant Officer I to would recommend it as an option, and every Corps has a need for WO's, including the SF/Ranger route!

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Without getting this sent to SC... such harsh blanket statements can / are said about just about any country.... said statements only reflect ignorance.

Very sad.... [:/]

g

Ignorance is letting your own government use you as a puppet for their own selfish needs.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

lol it's funny how everyone just ignores these kind of posts...

It's just you!

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I just removed a lot of posts that were heading this thread towards speakers corner. Lets keep this thread focused on it. Anyone that keeps trying to turn thins into a political thread will earn a time out from the forum... just a friendly warning ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Damn i didnt even get 50 views on my post:). Couldnt you have been busy eating or something for a few hours.:P:D

LOL, and I owe :D... it was my first deleted post (that I'm aware of)! I sort of feel naughty... >:(

THANKS Phree! B|

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I respectfully disagree with your "blanket" statement. My view is not one from outside but from within. I was in SF (ODA 552 Co B, 2nd BN, 5th SFG) back a LONG time ago (1977-1980) And my son went through the 18X program in 2000. Both us of us were fit to lead and did a good job doing it too.

Ahh, you mean 5222... damn new team numbers!

Fun times with those guys!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

But let me ask you this, is your nephew enlisting knowing what he is getting into? If he is doing it " just for the college money" he may be in for a brutal awakening when he finds himself deployed overseas possibly in combat.

Not sure if he really knows what he's getting into, but he fully expects (and desires) combat. He doesn't need any money for college (trust fund exists for that).

EDIT: As it currently stands (hasn't signed yet), he's set up for 11B, AIT, RIT (RIP?). Thanks.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

If your nephew still has time and im guessing he went to MEPs which means most likely he doesnt,
anyway if he still has time tell him that if he goes to a college with Army ROTC he will get a free education (providing he recieves the scholarship which he most likely will) and when he graduates he will get to go to Ranger school no matter what. He WILL be given that opportunity seeing as every ROTC graduate does.

I hope he still has time because if he wants to be a ranger this is a guarenteed way to at least go to the school.

Everything i said above is the path that i am currently following.

I hope this helps.

Briles
Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55