skymama

Open Caskets

I went to an open casket viewing last night for a friend who had passed away over the weekend. I have to say, open caskets creep me out a little. I would much rather just see a big picture of the deceased happy and smiling or doing something they love. I know other people there were hesitant to approach the casket, so I was just wondering how you all feel in this situation. Does it bring comfort to you to see the body one last time, or would you rather the casket be closed?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I went to an open casket viewing last night for a friend who had passed away over the weekend. I have to say, open caskets creep me out a little. I would much rather just see a big picture of the deceased happy and smiling or doing something they love. I know other people there were hesitant to approach the casket, so I was just wondering how you all feel in this situation. Does it bring comfort to you to see the body one last time, or would you rather the casket be closed?

I would definitely prefer casket closed. I am curious to hear reasons of those who prefer it open. I have no desire to look at someone's dead body. Nor do I ever want someone looking at mine.

I don't think it helps with "goodbye's". When my mom passed away almost 6 years ago, all I could do is look at her and think the most bizarre thoughts such as: "yeah, they totally had to sew her lips" and "yep, they put fake boobs in because I know she wasn't that endowed" and "she would never wear that much makeup".

I later questioned my sanity for thinking all those weird thoughts. Maybe it was my way of not having to deal with her death at the time. Grief definitely has a way of manifesting itself in some strange ways.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

The person ends up looking like a wax figure. My friend didn't even look anything like the way I remember him. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was the last of the siblings to see my Dad before he died. At the funeral home, I decided not to go up and see him in the casket, preferring to remember him as he was saying goodbye to me a few months before he died. I prefer the "big picture" in front of the closed casket to remember the deceased alive, smiling, happy, and active.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

the entire way that we as a society handle the ending to a persons' life, has puzzled me for decades...
Sure it's a tough and rough situation, and depending on the circumstances of the passing, can be traumatic....

an accident, injury or a death which causes damage to the physical form of the person, often does result in a 'closed casket',, which i guess is the right way to do it..... though i'm not good about 'wakes' , in the common form...
Some are grieving the loss , some are trying to 'celebrate' the life, and so you can have tears and "upbeat chatter" all in the same room...:S[:/]:| ( and that is usually at a home which is mostly "monetarily profiting" by the whole scenario)..
For those whose death was by "natural causes" or whose death did not damage the physical body,,, for family to allow an 'open casket "viewing" ' simply worsens' the memory of the deceased to most any and all who view that scene....
Adults may be able to deal with it,, but children and youngsters can be negatively impacted , by seeing something like that, especially if the person was a cherished "older generation" member of the family..

memorial service???? Sure... do that... but do it without the dearly departeds' body "on display"...

and maybe even do it a short time AFTER the interment has occured, be it burial or cremation....

as a whole, we need to change the way we deal with the ending to a persons life... both medically AND memorially...
i favor cremation, WITh the persons wishes, being honored in terms of dispersal of said ashes,,, and i favor the spreading of said remains, in many MORE than one place,, if that is the wishes of the decieased...
problem is,,, we sometimes fail to have those discussions within families,,, until the death occurs, and THEN it is the wish of the survivors, which becomes the deciding factor, not the wishes of the one who passed...

just my two cents.:|
jmy

I went to my grandmother's open casket . . . it was OK - but it was a little weird. I just look at it like it's a shell - a physical representation of what once was, and go on about it.

On the lighter side:
I prefer a nice ash funeral, but there are some that I want to go view the open casket . . . as soon as possible.:)

For Instance:
Ex Wife
Guy that cut me off yeterday
A "few" gov't officials
Pro-Abortion activists
Child Molesters

The list goes on . . . but you get the point.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As my dad always said:
"face down in the casket with my pants down so everyone can KISS MY ASS!!!"

and no, we didn't....and to make it more creepy....dad was always working on something so his hands were NEVER clean. They crossed his right hand over his left and you couldn't see his wedding ring, we asked them to fix it. They did. B|B|B|B|[:/][:/][:/]
ugh....rigor...skin in place from it.
I thought we were all (family) going to keel over when they did that.

miss you Pops.[:/]

I don't know if it creeps me out. Instead, I think the open casket magnifies my sadness. Maybe because it's a harsh visual of the loss of a friend or loved one, one that can't be denied. :( It's an emotional moment that I don't like, but I don't think it's the creepiness factor.

I'm only familiar with American funerals. I'm sure there are many varied customs in other cultures.

I think the open casket magnifies my sadness

Agreed. One that I remember in particular was for a friend killed in a school shooting. Seeing her made it feel real (the whole thing was so sureal overall, it was like being in a bad dream, and seeing her in the casket grounded me in reality).
Remster

I find that viewing an open casket helps me in the denial stage of grief.

If it is closed, I have a hard time believing that it is true.

You're a democrat aren't you.:|

I'm kidding -

You are though, huh?:ph34r::ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I won't approach an open casket. That's not the last memory I want to have.

It doesn't creep me out, it's just not necessary for me.

+1

I went with my dad to identify my brother... not the sort of thing that I every want to repeat or wish on anyone. I'd rather remember someone/anyone laughing and smiling.:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've been to a handful of open casket funerals. The last one was of a fellow skydiver who died on a jump of internal injuries. All of them seemed to have been done very well, though I'd rather attend closed caskets just the same. Just put up a big ol' portrait of them smiling or doing something they love with a big shit-eating grin on their face. That'll go a long way to settling our hearts and minds.

And besides, there would be no risk of people trying to hug the corpse of their good friend and almost knocking the coffin off its stand, like WaltAppel did.... :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban