grue

Type 8 vs Type 17, Mini vs Large 3ring for me?

My clothed-but-no-rig weight is about 210lbs, so I'm 235-240 out the door, depending on the rig. I'm about to order my Infinity (order goes in on Monday), and my last thing to choose is my riser/ring configuration. The main canopy will be a Precision Aerodynamics Fusion, 210 sqft. The reserve will be an Aerodyne SMART, 190 sqft.

So, what's your take, and why?
cavete terrae.

Other than just being smaller, what advantages would there be to having mini rings/risers ?;)

Well, one thing that greatly appeals to me is getting the slider behind my head, where it'll be quiet, and out of my way ;)
cavete terrae.

Oh neat. Hell, a little extra performance never hurts! I have exactly zero intention of flying with a big camera rig on my head, so no worries there. I may pick up that little Samsung with the remote lens down the road, but that's not the kind of rig they're worrying about.
cavete terrae.

I am choosing Type 17 with mini rings on my new wings b/c they are smaller and will pack up neater. Plus they look better.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I have over 200 jumps pulling my slider down over type 8 risers (with slinks). I liiked it because I didn't need a keeper to prevent the slider from climbing back up the risers. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Any particular reason why you want to load your reserve at almost 1.3:1?

Type 8 Tensile Strength - 4,000 lbs.
Type 17 Tensile Strength - 2,500 lbs.

You decide.

Personally... I'm 265 out the door. I don't wear "mini" anything.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I recommend wide risers and big rings.

The small stuff looks cool, but few people are going to find any real, non cosmetic benefit from choosing it.

It may be easier to pull the slider down over the mini risers, but it is definitely not impossible with the wide risers.

For Great Deals on Gear

Wide risers - stronger and will last longer.

Larger rings - reduces cutaway forces, less likely to have problems during spinning mals.

About the only reasons to go to small risers are availability and reduction in drag (important at very high loadings.)

Any particular reason why you want to load your reserve at almost 1.3:1?

This is a good question. Aerodyne recommends no more the 190 lb. exit weight at and above your experience level. What is the smallest F-111 7 cell you have landed in the past?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Wide risers - stronger and will last longer.

Last I heard, Type 17 risers were being reinforced with Kevlar. If this is still true, then that would make them non-elastic, therefore another advantage could be that wide risers would have a bit of elasticity which could take the edge off of slammer openings, just as Dacron lines do.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just out of interest, and possibly off topic a little...

Why are you going for a smaller reserve than your main? At your experience level a reserve wingloading of 1.26 (taking your exit weight as 240lbs) seems high to me.

Vicki

i ordered my new infinity with wide risers and big rings. took some grief about it from some people (mostly due to the uncool factor) but screw'em. i wanted all the 'insurance' i could get so i got the big stuff. it's all stainless too, so it looks good. once i collapse the slider i don't hear it much and if i really wanted to i could pull it down my risers. it's a bit difficult to do because i have an older sabre 190 with the extra brake line and all the knots on the toggle make a big lump to get the grommets over so i generally don't bother.

ymmv
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I used to be close to 280 out the door. I'm now closer to 250 out the door.

All my gear has always had "mini" risers.

Basically, if I have a hard opening I WANT my risers to break. I think of the thinner material in the risers as a good thing. I'd much rather have my risers break than my harness.

As for the rings, the only advantage larger rings have is a theoretical reduced pull force. The only times I've ever heard of high pull forces are where people don't maintain their gear (by cleaning their cables), or by not having hard riser inserts - a modification every manufacturer recomends, and most rigs come standard with. Since I do clean my cables and have hard riser inserts, I've removed the two most common causes of hard pulls. I've not yet heard of a single incident where someone couldn't pull only because they had mini rings.

Heavily loading mini-risers does require you to replace them more often. However, EVERYONE needs to inspect their gear and replace their risers when they're worn. This is not limited to people who load them heavily.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Basically, if I have a hard opening I WANT my risers to break. I think of the thinner material in the risers as a good thing. I'd much rather have my risers break than my harness.

This is a standpoint which should change if the user has a RSL installed... A riser break with a RSL could be deadly.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's a basic rule: Main risers should break before the harness. With non-stretch lines, ZP canopies, and faster fall rates the rage, I have actually thought that perhaps we should REMOVE the reinforcement in 1" type 17 risers, and stop using 1 3/4" type 8 risers altogether. The reason for this is that recently, harnesses have broken while the main risers have remained intact. The result of this is, of course, always fatal. Also, several jumpers have been killed, or seriously injured, by opening shock without breaking either the risers or the harness. Since I doubt I will be able to talk very many people out of micro line, what else is there to do. We simply can't continue to make the gear so strong and non-stretchy that people are killed by opening shock. Of course, these weaker risers would require an RSL system that would not deploy the reserve if one riser broke. Luckily, there are several systems available which accomplish this. My advice is not to buy a rig with a single sided RSL if you must jump a micro lined canopy.

My advice is not to buy a rig with a single sided RSL if you must jump a micro lined canopy.

Unfortionately, there just isnt many other options out there, most manufactures dont provide dual sided RSL systems.... I just removed my RSL btw since I have decided that I really dont like the idea of a reserve deployment if I dont ask for it. (that and 2 reserve rides have proven to myself that I am competent enough to pull my stinkin reserve)

I have actually thought that perhaps we should REMOVE the reinforcement in 1" type 17 risers, and stop using 1 3/4" type 8 risers altogether. The reason for this is that recently, harnesses have broken while the main risers have remained intact. The result of this is, of course, always fatal.

That logic makes sense to me, and I would consider buying such risers when I do replace them down the road if they were available.

Edited to add: I would rather deal with a broken riser then a broken back or harness...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just removed my RSL btw since I have decided that I really dont like the idea of a reserve deployment if I dont ask for it.

I'd think the primary purpose of an RSL is to get the reserve out when needed, even if you can not (or don't have enough time to) ask for it.

(that and 2 reserve rides have proven to myself that I am competent enough to pull my stinkin reserve)

...and that you tend to need that reserve to open quite often.:P;)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."