guppie01

Suicide Note

Conversation in the office today..... If you knew someone who left a note would you hang onto it?

One of the ladies I work with has held onto the original note for over 20 years... I can't seem to think of a good reason to hold onto something like that. [:/]

curious what others think....

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I've heard of people finding and holding on to a note to keep from muddying the water on the insurance settlement but just as a keepsake? Too morbid for me-I'd rather pull my memories of the deceased from a different time in their life.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

It could be that they kept it to remind them or others that no matter what takes place in life, suicide is not the answer. Maybe they read that note time and time again to try and understand. I dont think it is morbid, I think it is one persons way of dealing with the loss.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Conversation in the office today..... If you knew someone who left a note would you hang onto it?

Interesting question.

Not sure. It would depend on a lot of things: who was the person to me? Who was I to that person? What purpose does holding onto the note serve to me? Is it a reminder to me to live life to the fullest, to tell the people I care about how much I care about them, or does it serve some other useful purpose (as I see it)? Maybe then. Maybe not. I've never been the intended or unintended recipient of someone's suicide note, so it's all speculative on my part.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

No suicide note, but I have some gut wrenching journals my brother was writing for years before he died.

Only read them once. Guess I'm holding on to them out of guilt because I never detected anything was going on.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Guess I'm holding on to them out of guilt because I never detected anything was going on.

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I was PCG for my dad as he died of pancreatic cancer. I kept some pretty detailed journals of his meds, med schedule, how he was doing, etc. As time went on, I found the journals also started incorporating some of my thoughts/feelings as well. I kept them for a few years and occassionally read through them, reflecting. I eventually realized that I was keeping them because I wasn't really able to let go...

One of his dying wishes was to be cremated, and have his ashes dispursed on my mothers grave (she was buried in 'her' families plot and gaining their permission to do this was absolutely out of the question). I honored his wish, as she was his one true love till the day he died...

Back to the journals... I felt an inner need, not something I can really explain, to let go. So I reverently burned the journals, gathered the ashes, and went back to our home dz where some of my best memories of him were made while skydiving with him. I gave him an ash dive of sorts... and let him go. As the years have passed, I reflect back on what was unquestionably a healing experience. :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Harley Powell, right before he tracked into the ground at Perris, left a doozie of a note. I found it in his van along with $900 in cash.

The police took possession of both.

If there was a suicide note hall of fame Harley's would be displayed right in the main room.

NickD :|

My uncle committed suicide with a shotgun. He was 22 - I was too young to really know him. He had some serious drug problems but he was an incredibly loveable guy and very, very popular - he had everything going for him..

I guess he maybe didn't see a way out. He killed himself a couple of weeks before xmas - his suicide notes arrived in the post a couple of days after they found his body.. He had written one each to all of his siblings, one to each of his parents, and possibly a couple more to close friends.. As soon as his mom got all the letters, she snatched them away from one of my aunts (because she wanted to read it first) and in so doing dropped her letter in the kitchen sink that was full of water. My aunt never got to read her letter, and I think she still resents my grandmother for it.. It was a little piece of her brother that she was never going to get to know about..

I think I would keep something like that. Not to hold on, but because it's the most meaningful message that person has ever written, and if it were written to me, I'd think I meant a great deal to that person.. I would honour them by keeping it.

But that's just me.. And anyway, who knows how I would feel if it really happened.. Reckon it would be pretty upsetting..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

This gets a little more complicated in today's electronic age:

One of my best friends took his own life almost 2 years ago. In this case, the suicide note was 100% electronic, emailed as a Word attachment. It was sent to probably two dozen people. It was a letter of sadness with lots of thank-you's and apologies, meaning it was not a hateful letter; the type of long letter that most people would feel guilty clicking the 'Delete' button on...

To this date, it is still in a few people's Inbox's, at the bottom of their multi-gigabyte GMAIL or HOTMAIL accounts, since many people never delete their own email, and is easier to ignore at the bottom of clutter over 1000 messages down, likely never to be read again but that that it's "there" ....
(especially as it was a non-hateful suicide note, mostly filled thanks and apologies even to the alienated).

How did it get sent out, I don't exactly know. It wasn't broadcast all at once. I think that the document was likely sent to one person who was away to work, who upon returning, after the initial shock, later forwarded it to all recipient the suicide letter addressed, and as a result, that's how it got distributed to everyone. (Once the news were carefully broken to them over the phone or person, of course, and asked if they wanted a copy of the letter addressed to them, forwarded to them by email or if they preferred it printed out)... This is more or less how the email landed in my Inbox, while I was away, I was in Argentina when I heard the news.

As his computer was a gift from me to him from a previous year, I consequently inherited his computer back to my hands, and had the unfortunate experience (but a duty I nontheless accepted) of having to do a little requested foresenic while I was cleaning it up before donate the computer. Upon request, I searched his computer for all the family digitals photographs and documents, so his family could have all the photographs and important documents (burn to a CD for them), so as a consequence of have had to eyeball folders (and glance at file dates) looking for the data to save to CD. I was also his computer fix-it technician / software installer technician who also set up his document folders, so I was already familiar with where he saved files, etc. So I was the ideal guy to go through his computer for recoverables before reformatting. This caused me to run across information such as the suicide letter Word document being originally created about 2 weeks before the suicide (with several revisions to it). Because of this date difference, it does, indeed, lead to a lot of "What if"'s, how we could have changed things befoe he alienated many of his friends...

I still miss him very much --

We were foster parents to a young man who lived with us for 5 months. When he went back to live with his mom, she had just seperated from his step dad.
The stupid stepdad committed suicide, arranged for the KID to find his body and the note.
If I could do anything, I would change that whole scenario. Horrible pain for a 15 year old kid who didn't deserve any of that hell. The note explained nothing except how selfish the step dad was. Idiot.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I heard about a girl student at DeLand about '69. She left a suicide note explaining what she was going to do. The parents found it and didn't bother to call the airport.[:/]

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

One of the ladies I work with has held onto the original note for over 20 years... I can't seem to think of a good reason to hold onto something like that. [:/]

g

My wife has kept her brothers suicide note as the last memory/message from him (almost a year to the day now). Personally I don't think it is healthy (especially that he specifically names her and other family members in the letter as "the reason" that he committed suicide.

On the other hand it gives her comfort to keep any memory of him that she can - and I know she doesn't read it.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.