missfortunem

Recommendations on a weight belt?

When I was watching my reserve get packed at Skydive Arizona a few weeks before the 300 way, a rigger was making a bunch of belts just for the jumpers that would probably need them. You might try calling them or other rigging lofts at DZ's that host big ways, they might have some laying around gathering dust. They may not be the same fit/quality product that you get from a regular mfg, but who knows?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The weight belt by Terminal Imagery Rigging, based in Elsinore is the nicest belt I've ever seen.

Stay well away from weight vests for freefall work.

I'll try for contact information tomorrow.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The weight belt by Terminal Imagery Rigging, based in Elsinore is the nicest belt I've ever seen.

I've been recommending them, as well, since they are each custom-made and reasonably priced. Bryan Harrell is the person to contact, and THIS is a link to the website's weight belt page. Here is the e-mail for his site [email protected]

Newbie question: why?

For a guy it changes your body position to more of a chest low position.

There are quite a few that would argue that weight vests are better for female jumpers since it helps them get a little more chest low.

I'm not going to go into the specifics, I'm sure that others (competition RW jumpers and such) can and will chime in to tell why.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the nicest belt I've ever seen.

At that price, it better be!

I like Square One's belt. Secure and about as comfortable as something heavy around my waist is ever gonna be.

It is nice.

The Cutaway Enterprises belt that Square One sells is very nice too.

Newbie question: why?

It promotes a poor body position. It tends to cause a head low position which is not really what you're looking for in 4 way, or any other RW.

It also severly restricts the mobility and effectiveness of the upper torso.

There are quite a few that would argue that weight vests are better for female jumpers since it helps them get a little more chest low.

That's old school at best. There is no reason a woman should be any more head low, or should use weight to "re-trim". If a head high attitude is causing a problem, leg awarness should help.

I'd say that if you're wearing weight, you want it close to the hips, because that's your center point of rotation. The further away from the centerpoint, the more effort it's going to take to start and stop a turn. Try putting 10 pounds of weight on your head or feet and start/stop a turn, it will be slow. That said, I bought a weight vest. [:/]
I think landing with a belt would be better, too, since the inertia wouldn't try and pull you over onto your face as much. That's just opinion, though, I never used a hip belt.

I'd say that if you're wearing weight, you want it close to the hips, because that's your center point of rotation.

Is this the main reason behind 'don't wear a vest' - for me, being short, a weight belt does end up with the weights sitting on my hips.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I sewed three Reebok ankle weights together end-to-end, and added a strap. Total cost, including lead, less than $30. The weights are in zippered compartments.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

for me, being short, a weight belt does end up with the weights sitting on my hips.

I'd say that's just what you want, as long as it doesn't interfere with your rig or pose and danger of covering your pilot chute handle. You wear it under your jumpsuit? Take a look at video of yourself doing 360's and center the weight right at your center of rotation if you want the least effect on RW, I would say.

There are quite a few that would argue that weight vests are better for female jumpers since it helps them get a little more chest low..

I was told that many years ago when I was a young jumper and over the years I have definitely come to believe that its just an old wives-tale. I definitely prefer flying with a belt and I can wear a lot less weights..

W