skymama

Are you going to send Christmas cards this year?

I received an e-mail Christmas card and photo this year from an Aunt who normally mailed a card, letter and photos in previous years. While I understand her wanting to cut costs and make things easier, I gotta say it just wasn't the same.

I've also noticed I haven't received as many cards in the mail as I usually do. Either people are a little behind, they're cutting back, or I've been trimmed from lists! :P

So, are you sending cards this year? Have you noticed a decrease of cards of your mailbox?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Awww.. I think e-cards are sad.. They lack that "personal touch" that makes snail-mail so special..

I have to say.. For years and years I took great pleasure in sending out cards and writing a personal message/update about what I've been up to & what makes each person on my list dear to me...

This year, however, after several years of receiving next to nothing from everyone else, I'm giving up. Being overseas, it costs me about $5 per card when you consider the cost of the card + postage. I don't buy bulk - I don't feel it's very personal. At that price, when the dozen or so people on your list don't even acknowledge receipt, well, they can bugger off!!! :D:P

I will send 3 cards this year, and that's it.

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'll be writing them out this weekend, mailing on the 14th along with all the Christmas presents for my family.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Just started mine last night. Not sure if the list ever really gets any smaller, seems there is always a few new ones that get added. I try to add pictures so it's a little more personal. :)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

e-Cards are good for casual affairs, like a "what's up?" type thing. Real cards are the real deal with real meaning in my book. ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

This year it was 612.

Goodness! How long did that take you?

I've got it down to a science. I update the list in October, I order the cards by November 1, and when they arrive, I divide the list up into 'X' number of pages per workday until December 10. That way I'm only addressing between 20-30 cards a day.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

This year it was 612.

Goodness! How long did that take you?

I've got it down to a science. I update the list in October, I order the cards by November 1, and when they arrive, I divide the list up into 'X' number of pages per workday until December 10. That way I'm only addressing between 20-30 cards a day.

I've often wondered whether corporate cards achieve anything?? Personally, unless there is some kind of hand-written message in mine, they go straight into the bin.. And really.. Even with JENNR8R's impressive organisational skills, I struggle to see how anyone would have time to personalise 612 cards.. :S:S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Absolutely yes, and for the 2nd year in a row all of our Christmas cards will be postmarked from the town of Christmas, FL. Just drove out there today and mailed 'em off :)
How the heck can you decorate a door with ecards? Look kinda silly if ya print them out and stick a bunch of 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper to a door :S

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I've often wondered whether corporate cards achieve anything?? Personally, unless there is some kind of hand-written message in mine, they go straight into the bin.. And really.. Even with JENNR8R's impressive organisational skills, I struggle to see how anyone would have time to personalise 612 cards.. :S:S

We actually had a client complain last year that his planner didn't write a note in his card. If each planner had to do that, they wouldn't have time to manage the client's funds.

I'm not impressed with a company card that is addressed with a mailing label. But we get many compliments on the cards that we send. I think the reason is the personal relationship that the client's have with our company.
ones? -- Monday.

We actually had a client complain last year that his planner didn't write a note in his card. If each planner had to do that, they wouldn't have time to manage the client's funds.

I'm not impressed with a company card that is addressed with a mailing label. But we get many compliments on the cards that we send. I think the reason is the personal relationship that the client's have with our company.

I dunno.. I get lots of corporate cards and it makes me think I'm just a name on a long list.. Some poor sucker has to spend all his/her time stuffing the envelopes and has no clue who I am.. I can see how you might justify 20 or so personalised cards for your best/closest clients, but 612?? Yeah.. I'm not really convinced.

Don't get me wrong - I totally applaud your dedication/planning.. I'm just not sure the person receiving the card really appreciates it. I don't, and I've had to sign/stuff hundreds of cards.. I just think it's unfortunate that for many corporations it's just another way to pretend to care..

WHEW - that sounds cynical!! I need to change industries soon before I get *really* jaded!! :D:S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I haven't in a few years, but I think I will this year. I got married, my father died, and we're rebuilding the ancestral family summer house, so I feel the need to acknowledge that in a Christmas card. It'll probably even be one of the dreaded letters.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

SO funny...

This is actually the first year I will not be mailing Christmas cards.

I know most of the people who still send me a card only do because I send them one every year. The rest are new parents sending the photo-mailers of the kids dressed up by the tree.

This year I, too, will be sending the mass emailer wishing everyone good cheer, with the exception of grandma who will still receive a card.

I really don't care much about getting cards in the mail these days--they just don't have money in them anymore, so I say, "What's the point?" :P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'd notice the note, not the address. If you're going to hand write something, let it be something personal and print out the addresses on labels.

Just my 0.02.

Unfortunately, that's not an option that the "powers-that-be" give to me. I have been instructed to hand address the envelopes. They don't have time to write personal notes on each card.

I don't mind doing it, but I have no desire to send out more cards when I get home.
ones? -- Monday.

With Facebook, MySpace, and all the other social networking sites, cards are a bit unnecessary, IMO. Instead of sending a card once a year, we can keep in touch on a much more frequent basis.

The whole spiel about there being a "personal touch", blah, blah, is nothing more than rhetoric for teachers to feel good about teaching cursive to kids, and making paper companies and Hallmark happy. It takes time and effort to make videos and get photos onto a website, all so your friends and family to see your kids and dogs. You can type a personal email message if you really want to say something specific to that person.

One look at what they're doing to the rainforest of Indonesia, just to make more paper, is all the justification I need to break with another silly tradition.

I suspect that you're getting fewer cards because they're unnecessary, not because your friends and family are being cheap. They still love you ;)

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD