docjohn

Poll: cat needs surgery

Ok, we have a 9 year old cat. Bought it as a mutt for $35. Now its limping around so I'm thinking arthritis or something like that. So I pose the question to my wife "What do we do if it needs a $4000 operation?". Her answer "We have it done of course!"

Its the old emotional vs practical argument.

Emotional: She's a member of our family and we love her. Money is no object.

Practical: Its a 9 year old $35 cat. Why spend $4000 on it? Besides, at this age, more problems may be just around the corner. And its just a cat!

My answer: put the cat to sleep, spend $35 and buy a new kitten for the family.

and yeah, we have kids who are attached to the cat if that makes any difference.

What would you do?
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Put it to sleep. That or "accidentally" leave the door open for it to wander out and get lost. As much as they can become "a part of the family," animals are just that- animals.

We were recently faced with a possible $300 surgery to have my 6-month old cat's eye removed. I told my wife up front that I'd opt for putting him down. Fortunately his eye has healed and he's going to be fine.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I'm a bit biased here since I'm a dog person not a cat person.

However... The cat is 9 yrs old.... Healing from surgery will take a whole lot more from the cat at that age compared to a younger cat....

The (most) humane thing to do is to put it asleep...
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

I have two cats, and if faced with a similar situation I would probably opt for the surgery. I only say probably because the situation is hypothetical and I cannot be 100% sure what I would do. I know I would get a second and possibly third opinion from a respectable vet who is known for doing more than shoving a thermometer up the animals rear on annual basis (in other words someone who has done enough diagnosis and surgeries to know what they are talking about).

And my cats are sure as hell not just "$35 mutts" to me.

I call the attacehd picture "yinyang"

I say bring her to the vet first and find out whats wrong with her/him. You are discussing something and causing emotional turmoil with your wife (and possiblly your children) over a very hypothetical situation and worst case senario. It could be something very simple and not cost much money at all, at the same time it could be something very expensive. Until you know for sure you are spending/wasting a lot of time and energy discussing/arguing with your wife about it.

What if you put her/him down and get a new cat and that one has health issues are you just going to put that one down as well? Plus just because she/he has an issue now is not necessarily an indicator of future health issues.

Seems to me like you are only looking at the glass as half empty and not even considering it to be half full.

I didn't vote in your poll because you don't have the answer I would choose: bring her/him to the vet, find out whats wrong and what it will take to fix her/him, then discuss the options and which path to take.
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

No way in the world could I justify a $4000 expense on myself much less a cat.
I have always had very strong emotional ties to my animals. Putting down a family dog of 16 years was the hardest thing I've ever done. With my own gun no less.
[:/]
Sometimes putting them down is the most humane thing to do for them.

Ok, we have a 9 year old cat. Bought it as a mutt for $35. Now its limping around so I'm thinking arthritis or something like that. So I pose the question to my wife "What do we do if it needs a $4000 operation?". Her answer "We have it done of course!"

Its the old emotional vs practical argument.

Emotional: She's a member of our family and we love her. Money is no object.

Practical: Its a 9 year old $35 cat. Why spend $4000 on it? Besides, at this age, more problems may be just around the corner. And its just a cat!

My answer: put the cat to sleep, spend $35 and buy a new kitten for the family.

and yeah, we have kids who are attached to the cat if that makes any difference.

What would you do?

The value of your cat is the emotional value your family members have placed on it. If your family's emotional well being is of no value to you then I guess the cat has no value either. By the way what is wrong with your cat? Total hip replacements don't cost that much.

If I was a trained mechanic, I'd change-out my own transmission if it went kablooie. Whatever your current specialty, didn't you do a surgical rotation during residency? Tell your wife that while surgery is an option, you will be the one to do it. Otherwise, option #2 costs $35.

I think with cats it is all about their quality of life.

If the prognosis is that they will be back to jumping on chairs, playing, eating happily etc etc then it is worth it.

If it's just a marginal improvement then is it worth the stress of putting them through the op ??

The expense doesn't come into it.

I've had to have three cats put down at the end of their time - and except for one I wondered if I'd had left it beyond the right point. Had I let their quality of life deteriorate beyond where it was fair to keep them alive. Was I keeping them around as I didn't want to lose them ??
Jump more, post less.

Ive been faced with this several times like im sure most here has. recently we had a pet rat (yes rat) who got a tumor in her mouth and was unable to eat. the wife took this $8 rat to the vet ($17 visit) and later had it put to sleep ($20 for drugs/time) i loved that rat but i could have bought 2 more and a toy for them at that price

There's a third (and cheaper) way. Medicate the cat with painkillers and monitor response to treatment. Unfortunately there are no painkillers licenced for long term use in the cat, but that doesn't mean there aren't effective "off-label" ones. Any good vet worth their salt will give you a list of options and approximate costs so that you can choose the diagnostic/treatment path that best suits your cat and yourself.

PS - I'm a vet.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I think the poll/ question is flawed because you really don't know what is wrong with the cat, the cost of the treatment or long term prognosis. I wouldn't make a decision like that without knowing all those things first.

Start with taking the cat to the vet and make decisions from there.

(as far as I know there isn't any surgical treatment for arthritis in a cat and not much they can do for pain- there are more options for dogs ......)

How about this...

I'll take the 9 year old cat.

In exchange, I'll give you two kittens that are only 6 months old.
It will only cost you $2,000.

It works out well for everyone.

You get to save $2,000 instead of spending $4k.
I'll fly both of us down for a weekend of skydiving in Florida.
Your wife can have two new kittens.
And the 9 year old cat will be very comfortable in the country.

It's a win-win situation for everyone.

Good luck, let me know if I can help.