FlyingJ

Food you'll never forget?

Madrid, Spain: Baby Squid in their Ink. First time I had squid ink. Yum!

HAHA! SEE! that's TWO votes for chipirones en su tinta!

i posted a recipe up further, y'all gotta try it, seriously. amazing.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Oh, yeah, Middle Eastern food. I made a chicken with a walnut/pomegranate sauce dish called khoresht Fesenjan a few times. Pretty sure it's Persian, but may be done in nearby countries. Yummy!

Other stuff from that area mixes meat with sweet fruits, like lamb with raisins or dates, or apples stuffed with cinnamon-spiced lamb and baked.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Hazelnuts. I sat and ate so many one time I got sick. Can't even look at them anymore. Almond roca too.

Oh, and my first oyster last month. B| YUCK!

personally I like oysters, but I cant help thinking about the somewhere back in the mists of time where for the first time someone scraped an oyster off a rock , opened it up and thought ........ mmmm that would be good to eat!! wouldnt be my first reaction without some conditioning .... must have been desperate
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Grandmom Tomasello's meatballs. I can't make them exactly like her's to save my life. God, I miss that extraordinary woman.

Roadside stand in Ocho Rios, Jamaica... Best Jerk Chicken ever.. and I HATE really spicy food. This was delicious. Also, the Jamaican Beef Patties. OMG... I am going to be thinking about them all day now!!

I intend in finding some little restaurants all over Puerto Rico next month and try out so many different foods. Can't wait!! B|

Always be kinder than you feel.

Those gigantic T-bone steaks we had on Sundays in Texas when I was a kid. The darn things covered the plate, barely room for a potato. My dad used to cook over charcoal with hickory chips for extra flavor. Mmmm.

All the Thai food from the Thailand boogie. We ate at all the little Mom and Pop open air restaurants, dirt floor, plastic chairs. All the food was fantastic. And nope, never got sick. B|

Can't believe no one has mentioned the mussels at Manolos in Z-Hills. Fabulous!

Also memorable for the opposite reason is my first taste of asafetida in genuine Indian food in New Delhi. Yuk!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

the good memorable foods always have some kind of emotional meaning, as well.

For me, the tastes of home: Graeter's ice cream and Skyline chili, will always hold a special, memorable place in my heart. As will the amazing green chile of New Mexico, my other home.

More specifically, after I graduated from college, i had 60 days of paid leave. Most people found their friends and went on drinking binges around Europe, but I had seen most of it, except for the one place I truly cared about. I minored in Spanish in college, so I made a beeline for Spain and spent 3 and a half of the most memorable weeks of my life there, ESPECIALLY the Basque Country up north.

Basque food is....spectacular doesn't do it. Creative. Delicious. Intense. I found this little family place in San Sebastian that offered (like most places in Spain) a Prix Fixe menu of a bottle of txacoli (a dry basque semi-sparkling white wine...awesome), a pintxo (thats what they call tapas in basque), a main course, and dessert for about 800 pesetas (this was pre-Euro, and Spain was a STEAL). The main course choices were a basque paella and something called "Chipirones en su tinta".

I decided to be adventurous, and when the time came, they brought me a bowl of black ink. Not kidding, this was PITCH BLACK soup. Uhh....ok. Turns out it was baby squid in a sauce made from it's own ink. Sounds gross, but let me tell you, that squid was so tender it literally fell off my fork and melted in my mouth, and the sauce was just this perfect amalgamation of flavors...

A perfect culinary illustration of the old adage: never judge a book by its cover!

some links about parts of this meal, since most people don't know about Basque awesomeness unless you've been there or happen to live in Boise, ID:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-08-16/food/17175995_1_wine-basque-bottle
http://gospain.about.com/od/basquecountrypaisvasco/qt/pintxos.htm
http://recipespicbypic.blogspot.com/2008/09/chipirones-en-su-tinta-squid-in-its-ink.html

Ah... I miss Spain.....
Remster

I just had a gnarly dream that I was buying food for a holiday meal at Whole Foods. There, they had frozen humans for sale. They were cut off at the waist, and you bought the lower-half, with no feet, just some fleshy hangings below the ankle. They were wrapped in whte cloth, like a mummy, and they didn't fit that well in the shopping cart.

After picking one up and taking it to the register, I was with one of the nannies who was helping me shop, and she was disgusted. I was trying to explain to her how it's much better for the environment to eat people, since we have too many people, and we are using too many resources.

I woke up at the point that I almost vomited wondering how I would bake the thing. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll never eat meat again ...
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I just had a gnarly dream that I was buying food for a holiday meal at Whole Foods. There, they had frozen humans for sale. They were cut off at the waist, and you bought the lower-half, with no feet, just some fleshy hangings below the ankle. They were wrapped in whte cloth, like a mummy, and they didn't fit that well in the shopping cart.

After picking one up and taking it to the register, I was with one of the nannies who was helping me shop, and she was disgusted. I was trying to explain to her how it's much better for the environment to eat people, since we have too many people, and we are using too many resources.

I woke up at the point that I almost vomited wondering how I would bake the thing. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll never eat meat again ...

You need to see a professional about that dream;)

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

-Best seafood....in Ha Long Bay, VietNam...rented a boat for the weekend, cruised along the bay/river are fresh seafood markets. Picked what I want...and the crew cooked them right then & there while sightseeing & explored the caves.
-Best bowl of PHO "beef noodle soup"....open food market in Ha Noi, North VN.
-Best Oysters....Flaherty's in Carmel by the bay, CA.
-Best Sushi.....15 East, NY.; Best Italian food....'ino, NY.

These are my picks for the best food I've ever tasted, and found myself....back for more whenever I'm in the area. Not to mentioned Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Indonesia. Malaysia. These places offered some of the best finger foods in the open markets

...and of course...my mom's best home made eggrolls!

Ok...that's all folks, as you were!
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

There used to be a small place that sold Oysters, Crab, Fish and Lobster down by the wharf in Monteray, it was some of the best I ever had, we used to grill it on the beach and have parties.

Hardwood fires and seafood go well together, we made our own horseradish cocktail sauce and got Meyer lemons.

Sourdough bread and lots of beer.:)

My Aunt, who lives in Monterey....mentioned a place similar like that. I love that area...Monterey/Carmel, such a quaint little town by the bay and the view is breathtaking.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492