cocheese

too old to snow board?

There is a small ski hil nearby. Mt. Holly.
It's too slow for this skydiver on skis, but it would be the perfect place to learn to snow board.

Should i skip the pain and agony and wait for the dz to open or give it a shot?

Those under 40 need not reply.:P

It's too slow for this skydiver on skis, but it would be the perfect place to learn to snow board.

Those under 40 need not reply.:P

Oh get out there and drop in;)

Give it a shot. Plenty of old people switch from skiis to snowboards because it's easier on their knees.

I taught my favorite college professors to snowboard when she was 53.

I'm scared. I watch the kids do it and they make it look hard. That should be a sign.:S:D

Dude that shit scares me too, I did SAND boarding in Namibia and i SUCKED Royally at it, if you are gunna give it a go, wear wrist braces. you put your hands out to stop you face planting all the time, and you cant PLF(R) with your legs in bindings.
OH and GET PICS:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

l learned at 52 yrs old. I would recommend that you learn on a soft base. The falls are far more abrupt than on skis. Beginner falls are straight out of the cartoons where the victim is held by the ankles and slammed first one way then the opposite. The reason for a soft base is that your elbows/wrists/butt/shoulders/head will hit fast and hard. It is a lot nicer to hit something that will compress 4-6 inches.

btw... As far as being easier on the knees... Don't believe it for a second! You are locked into an awkward position and will probably feel some real pain after your first couple sessions.

If you are looking for easy-on-the-body try Telemark. Far easier on every part of the body with the new equipment but until you get good anybody looks like a poser freeheeling on lift service.

jon

So is that a no?:o

Go do it!!!! You will be on your butt the first day but the learning curve is fast and make sure you have someone with you that can help teach you how to do it. I have been boarding for 13 years and next season I will be the big 4-0. lol, and I have a herniated disc and I still love to ride my ass off. Us older farts just have to be a bit more careful is all. I am not as crazy as I used to be on my board but I still love the ride.
Talk to d-squared she can give you some pointers and so can I if you want some. I teach a lot of my friends but I think she actually taught people at a resort as a job. (not entirely sure)
You create life, life does not create you.

I'm going to do it! Tomorrow. Going to wear all the pads i wear on the ice motorcycle plus a full face skydiving helmet, and a back brace belt. I don't have wrist guards, but will look for some.:)

Tow rope/ bunny hill only til I can out ride any kid on the hill.:P

Calling Deedy tonight for a lesson.:)
wish me luck [:/]:)