kallend

50mm socket

Any idea if any auto or hardware chain stores are likely to have a 50mm (or 2-in) socket in stock? I'm replacing some rear wheel bearings.

I can order online but need it NOW.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've found a last minute need for an extra-large socket (36mm for my VW's drive nuts in this case) at Harbor Freight. In your area you may have a Northern Tool, which will give you about the same stuff.

The tools are typically low grade, but it will get you through a project, typically.

Other then that, Sears has saved my butt before for a strange socket or wrench.

Beyond that, for a right now solution, what sort of shop tools do you posses?;)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Schucks/Kragen/Checker shops should have one. NAPA will too, but will be more $. Also check Harbor Freight if there is one nearby. A good Sears store should also have one.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I've found a last minute need for an extra-large socket (36mm for my VW's drive nuts in this case) at Harbor Freight. In your area you may have a Northern Tool, which will give you about the same stuff.

The tools are typically low grade, but it will get you through a project, typically.

Other then that, Sears has saved my butt before for a strange socket or wrench.

I had more than a passing acquaintance with Harbor Freight's return counter until after three returns in a row I quit shopping there. Some real crap comes out of those stores.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Any idea if any auto or hardware chain stores are likely to have a 50mm (or 2-in) socket in stock? I'm replacing some rear wheel bearings.

I can order online but need it NOW.

I take it you don't plan ahead AND have no patience I can FedEx one overnight for the right price. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I'm picturing a piece of 1/8"X2" steel, bent to match the nut, and turned with a pipe wrench. A welder would be handy to weld a socket in place for a ratchet.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

+1 on Northern Tools and / or Harbor Freight. Much less expensive than Sears, not the same quality, but this is for very infrequent use.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

But how long of a cheater bar is the Professor going to need? He might want a good one.

You say that, but about 15 years ago I snapped the nipple clean off a 1/2" drive Craftsman breaker bar, taking the drive nuts off my VW. 36mm and a factory torque of 300 ft/lbs. I had 10ft of pipe on that thing and I was standing on it! Still didn't break the nut loose.

+1 on Northern Tools and / or Harbor Freight. Much less expensive than Sears, not the same quality, but this is for very infrequent use.

But how long of a cheater bar is the Professor going to need? He might want a good one.;)

The inner spindle nut sets bearing pre-load so it pretty much has no torque, and the outer one just has enough to lock it in place.

But how long of a cheater bar is the Professor going to need? He might want a good one.;)

He should have a CNC machine handy to him, and the lazy old git could make one for himself.:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I had 10ft of pipe on that thing and I was standing on it! Still didn't break the nut loose.

Maybe you should have found someone a bit heavier to stand on the end of the pipe.:o:D
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

But how long of a cheater bar is the Professor going to need? He might want a good one.

You say that, but about 15 years ago I snapped the nipple clean off a 1/2" drive Craftsman breaker bar, taking the drive nuts off my VW. 36mm and a factory torque of 300 ft/lbs. I had 10ft of pipe on that thing and I was standing on it! Still didn't break the nut loose.

You mean because you later found out it was left hand thread? :P

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

You mean because you later found out it was left hand thread?

HA! Nope. In 1995 I think I was the first person to do a brake job (requires taking the nut off for the rear drum) in the life of the vehicle!

A hot wrench worked well...in conjunction with an air wrench...

I wasn't really joking either.;)

When I was a teenager I was working on my Mustang and broke a Craftsmen 1-1/8" about the same way. My mom was heading to the mall, and I asked her to take it in and exchange it for me. I told her ( all 5'4", 105 pounds) to tell the salesman she broke it.;)

inner spindle nut sets bearing pre-load so it pretty much has no torque, and the outer one just has enough to lock it in place.

I've heard that some Volvo's have a nut on the suspension that has to be torqued to over 1000 foot/pounds. The mechanic described a 10 foot cheater bar and 100 pounds of weight. Any Volvo experts know for sure?

I've heard that some Volvo's have a nut on the suspension that has to be torqued to over 1000 foot/pounds. The mechanic described a 10 foot cheater bar and 100 pounds of weight. Any Volvo experts know for sure?

Sounds like a pinion nut for a rear axle, haven't seen many parts big enough to take that kind of torque that don't involve driveline components.

In college we had to take a driveshaft yoke off of a Fuller Roadranger tranny that weighed 670 lbs.. We clamped a 12' piece of angle iron to it for leverage and had 6 guys hold on to it while our instructor ran a 1" drive impact on it. You would normally take that nut off before you pull the tranny out of the truck.

Grrr....>:(
That takes me back to the time I snapped the second lug bolt on a 1970 Barracuda,
before I happened to remember hearing they had lefthand threads on one side of the car.
That had to be one of the most idiotic ideas Chrysler ever had.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Grrr....>:(
That takes me back to the time I snapped the second lug bolt on a 1970 Barracuda,
before I happened to remember hearing they had lefthand threads on one side of the car.
That had to be one of the most idiotic ideas Chrysler ever had.:S

that along with a positive ground on a Chrysler marine engine, uhhh - you mean red goes to the negative???
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.