jtval

Dive loops

I suggest you call your favorite gear store and ask them for a set of dive loops to have put on your risers so ya can hook it like the cool guys do...they'll know what your talking about;):D

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dive blocks are on the front of the front riser and yes, they are a square piece of material (just like the riser material). They are set up a bit higher on the riser, so you can get more efficient torque on the canopy. You just set your hand over the top of them and yank!!! Having trouble getting your hand out of a dive loop in a high speed approach can be very scary. So, these things make it easier to make front riser "adjustments". Love em. Have em on all my rigs, I never use dive loops anymore.

when ordering gear are the dive loops the Loops on you risers? you know so you have a handle to do risers turns?

Yeah, dive loops are on the front risers, they alow you to control the canopy using front risers more easily.

I would however advise riser blocks, as they achieve the same effect but in my oppinion are easier to use. With loops you may need to look up to put your fingers in them, wuith blocks there is no need to.

I also recomend not changing from blocks to loops, or vice versa when demoing a new canopy. The pic on the left is the result of me doing just that.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Tip: Use this for toggles and dive loops.

When you place the risers in the containter, instead of putting the loop flat on the riser down toward the rings, fold the excess up toward the links. When you open, the loops and toggles will stick away from the riser making it easy to grab.
----
I wear gloves almost always and I hate the blocks! (No I'm not fighting with you B| You could probably take me) I just couldn't get used to them.

--- JT...I grab the dive loops upside down. So actually I grab the riser with my hands, upside down in the loops . Try it a few times, you may find it advantagious.

I take it you're preparing to downsize form that 210?

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I definately couldnt take you...plus, I am a drinker not a fighter.:P

Yeah, I just had a very bad experience with loops...at a very critical time. Almost hooked myself in with a brand new pair of Neumans on. (I would have been pissed if I got blood all over them.) I couldnt get my glove out while I was getting to hit the toggles. Not taking that chance again. You say tomato I say potato...whatever.

You say tomato I say potato...whatever.

Zactly.... By the looks of your profile, Next time in Fl I should look you up. If you're in Nor Cal, you do the same. There are some objects around here you may be interested in.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Pardon the "buddy-of-mine" story, but a guy I know broke his hip in five places after getting fingers caught in a dive loop on final.

I've never used blocks, but they "sound" safer. For me, right now, the safest thing is to simply not use my dive loops below 1000 feet.

I will say this - I have a little trouble yanking the loops on my 190 to make them work (wingload 1:1). I imagine if I had blocks, they wouldn't work given my canopy size/lack of strength/whatever.

I will also say that I wish I had loops on my rear risers so that I could flare better under rear riser. This might have saved me one cutaway.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I was told that his rigger made the mods - from full loops to "finger-loops". Thanks for the better information.

This is the problem with the "buddy-of-mine" stories - the second-hand or third-hand info is sketchy at best. :P

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

get dive blocks!!! I hate dive loops. I wear gloves a lot doing aff & 4 way and I have had some mishaps with getting my hands in/out of dive loops...dive blocks, dive blocks, dive blocks!!!

Dive blocks are ok if your wearing gloves, but the riser pressure on smaller velocities ect. especially at the end of your turn gets to be hard with blocks, when your not wearing gloves. I have loop's and I had them modified with a stiffener in them so they always are open, Ive also seen them made with a twist in them and that keeps them open pretty good also.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Best thing to do is to sew a pinch in the dive loop and it stays open. Plus to avoid problems on landing, you should have your entire hand through the toggle and only use 2 fingers in the dive loop (which is big enough for your entire hand), there is no way to get 2 fingers stuck in one that size. Just my 2 cents but it is also the way most of the best swoopers I know do it.

~Chachi

Trust me on this one...I got 2 fingers stuck in the dive loop!!! Very scary!!!:o

"To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with the palm of your hand now."
-Simpsons

j/k I hope it wasn't too bad

Does anyone have a pic of the dive-block on a riser? I can't seem to get the image right in my minds eye.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I haven't had a problem with my dive loops, but then again, I only put 1-2 fingers in it, and only the fingers, I don't get my hands into the loops. I also wear gloves most of the time and haven't had any sort of problem. Then again, the dive loops on my risers are fairly large, I could stick my whole hand in them if I wanted to.

Some people may not have the strength to do that, though, especially on some canopies with higher riser pressure.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."