jtval

Dive loops

I was envisioning more of a cube-type shape - I guess from the word "block". I guess that would be kinda hard to pack.

It looks like there's only a small lump that sticks out, and you have to use thumb-pressure to keep your grip on it? How hard is this, relative to using a loop?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I was envisioning more of a cube-type shape - I guess from the word "block". I guess that would be kinda hard to pack.

It looks like there's only a small lump that sticks out, and you have to use thumb-pressure to keep your grip on it? How hard is this, relative to using a loop?

My blocks might be aftermarket mods put on by a previous owner, I'm not really sure. It's definitely easier to use my blocks than it is to use just riser, and harder than loops (which I've only used twice).

I have mini risers on both rigs. On my Vector there are dive loops, and on the Javelin there are, um, well, I have no idea what to call them! It looks like someone took a bicycle innertube and sliced it down the middle, wrapped it around the riser, and stitched it in place.

In comparing both, I prefer the "innertube". Easier to grab without looking up, and awsome grip power, not to mention when you let go of it, there is no chance of getting stuck!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I haven't made a jump in months due to cold weather, but I've been having trouble adjusting my toggles to work well with my dive loops. I've got them let out now as far as they will go and am still experiencing bucking problems when I use my front risers. I think the problem may be that my dive loops are too low. I presently have at least five inches of slack in my toggle lines. I was thinking maybe I should have some dive blocks sewn above where the dive loops are at now. And maybe having the dive loops removed. Does any of this make sense? I need to make some more jumps on this set up though, before I make any changes, such as looking up and see what's happening when I make a front riser turn. I'd sure appreciate any imput. Thanks, Steve1

well for me front riser turns DONT happen. The bus I drive(210) doesnt like those turns...it prefers to LIFT me out of my harness if I pull down on them. Yep. I can do psuedo pull-ups while In my harness! then If I wanna pull me legs in I can get a good stomach work out, too!
its like a home workout center; only you cant use it at home...
My photos

My Videos

Man, what a debate this has stirred up. First off, if you have problems getting your fingers or hand out of a dive loop maybe you should reconsider your need to use these devices.

If you feel you are indeed quite competent at using these devices but don't like the idea that your hand/fingers might get caught or have gotten caught, I recommend this, just do like everyone did before someone thought up loops/blocks and just use the riser itself to do your riser turn. You have nothing to worry about getting caught on or being unable to release when you grab a handful of riser either thumb up or thumb down. As long as the muscles in your arm don't freeze up all you have to do is open your hand to release the riser and fly your canopy in with toggles to flair. If the idea of pulling on a riser without the aid of a loop/block sounds too hard then I suggest you hit the gym a bit more.

There, now wasn't that an easy fix.:D

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Personally I'd check out a few things first. Like what is the actual riser length, too long? Could be that if you have a set-up that was taylored for another canopy; your risers could be suspect. Loop position after that. The next thing is maybe 5 inches isn't enough, (or at least thats what she told me...?) on the matter of steering lines on your canopy. Another thing, how deep on the front does this phenomenon begin to materialize. You could use a rough guesstimation from that point to explore a steering line/riser length equation for your canopy.

As you seem well aware, the steering lines are ultimately the culprit of the bucking in the front riser displacement.

Geez, just be grateful you don't have blocks!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

I recently (04/03/2010 Tempe, RSA) broke my pelvis in 4 places because I couldn't get my left hand out the front riser dive loop at flare time.

I had experimented with straight front riser pulls above 1000', but forgotten to take my left hand out. I merely continued a long downwind leg, 180 hook with right toggle, all perfect - except forgot left hand was still in dive loop.

I sincerely wish I'd read these articles earlier, as it was the first time I've read/heard of this being an issue :(
Blue Skies!
Outlaw

get dive blocks!!! I hate dive loops. I wear gloves a lot doing aff & 4 way and I have had some mishaps with getting my hands in/out of dive loops...dive blocks, dive blocks, dive blocks!!!

Try using toggles, I had small wooden toggles sown onto the risers and for me they worked much better than loops

Gone fishing