SansSuit

Earthquakes

Say a person wanted to experience an earthquake. Where would be a good place to live? I know it would be a crapshoot as far as when, but would there be a ballpark guess as how long one would have to relocate?

See it as a bucket list kinda thing.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Say a person wanted to experience an earthquake. Where would be a good place to live? I know it would be a crapshoot as far as when, but would there be a ballpark guess as how long one would have to relocate?

EQ Facts

28.Alaska is the most earthquake-prone state and one of the most seismically active regions in the world. Alaska experiences a magnitude 7 earthquake almost every year, and a magnitude 8 or greater earthquake on average every 14 years.

We have had 2 that you could hear and feel coming 3 seconds before they hit in teh last week, 5 in teh pasy 3 months....But usually only one a year!

San diego!

Lat weeks was Kewl...I heard it!, told my son, here it comes! , he said what? I said "this"...then it hit....

Like a slow moving earth wave, just like the ocean, But you can;t see it coming, you have to hear/feel it!

I hear the san andreas fault is accomodating.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This is a tough issue because what kinda magnitude are you talking about? How about survivability? You want hardcore thrust-fault action or a side-to-side strike-slip fault?

In places like Chile, they'll have friggin aftershocks over 8.0 on the Richter. Meanwhile, you can go some places that are seismically active, but where a 5.3 (which we laugh at here in Cali) will kill 50k people.

Another issue - tsunamis suck. So do volcanoes and lahars. If you want to experience all mother earth can throw at you, try Cascadia. Sometime in the next few decades you'll get a rupture of the Cascadia Fault - a thrust fault like that which occurred the day after Christma in Indonesia a few years ago. It'll be nearly as strong and send a friggin tsunami over the shore (and across to Japan). It'll be devastation.

You can also see the possibility of Rainier blowing. For those of you who have never been to Seattle, the mountain is huge and dominates the skyline. Stunning. And when it goes, it'll be impressive and downright deadly.

So if you want expected massive seismic events, try Seattle/Tacoma. Big shakers. Big tsunami. Big boom! Big mudflows. It's got it all, bro!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This is a tough issue because what kinda magnitude are you talking about? How about survivability? You want hardcore thrust-fault action or a side-to-side strike-slip fault?

In places like Chile, they'll have friggin aftershocks over 8.0 on the Richter. Meanwhile, you can go some places that are seismically active, but where a 5.3 (which we laugh at here in Cali) will kill 50k people.

Another issue - tsunamis suck. So do volcanoes and lahars. If you want to experience all mother earth can throw at you, try Cascadia. Sometime in the next few decades you'll get a rupture of the Cascadia Fault - a thrust fault like that which occurred the day after Christma in Indonesia a few years ago. It'll be nearly as strong and send a friggin tsunami over the shore (and across to Japan). It'll be devastation.

You can also see the possibility of Rainier blowing. For those of you who have never been to Seattle, the mountain is huge and dominates the skyline. Stunning. And when it goes, it'll be impressive and downright deadly.

So if you want expected massive seismic events, try Seattle/Tacoma. Big shakers. Big tsunami. Big boom! Big mudflows. It's got it all, bro!

The problem with Cascadia.. is the EQ are so far apart that no one here realizes that with the exception of a few geologists. The last one that ripped was on 26 Jan 1700 and since no Europeans were here... it didn't happen right??

As far as Mt Rainier.... while appearing to dominate the skyline.. its really 60 miles to the mountain. While some of the river valleys will have issues with lahars( like where John and Valinda live) Seattle will most likely see little effect( Except for the Duwamish Valley) from the usual eruptive events that happen on Mt Rainier. I-5 may be affected at the Nisqually River and a few other places but the prevailing winds will affect the east side of the state far more than Seattle with any ash emissions. It's been five thousand years since the last significant event that caused the loss of 1600' ( its still just 85' less than Mt Whitney and even a small eruption could put it back to numero uno in the lower 48 states)

If someone is willing to be VERY patient... they might get to see a big one here.. but I still rate AK or CHILE far higher on the probability index.

Um, have you got a particular magnitude in mind?

Big enough to make me say, "Damn! That was a earthquake!". I don't need to see damage or mayhem but maybe a broken plate or two would be cool.

Then I am outta there!

Peace,
-Dawson.

I lived in Chile for a total of 10 years (birth-6 years, then 12-15 years old) and remember a few, but nothing huge. I missed the relatively big one in 1986 or so and then the one a few months ago.

Then again, we've had 2 (tremors, mind you) in the last 2-3 years in Illinois as well....

You probably experienced one already, but didn't feel it because you were asleep, or driving a car, or walking in the street... or skydiving :)I experienced (i.e. clearly felt) 5 or 6 earthquakes in my life, all of them here in Switzerland. Most of the time, people I spoke with didn't even know there was one, even if it was a 4 or 5 on Richter's scale. They just didn't notice.
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

The most quake prone place in my neck of the woods is this place . . .

Now we are talking! I wonder if they have a nice hotel in this hamlet of 18.
Peace,
-Dawson.

Parkfield just had its earthquake sixe years ago. It is expected to be another 15-20 years until the next decent-sized shaker.

Though there isn't muh to do in Parkfield, you may want to try hanging out in Paso Robles. They felt the Parkfield Quake and got a VERY strong shot in the 03 San Simeon shaker.

Basically, live in Southern California for a decade and you'll get a good dose!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Parkfield just had its earthquake sixe years ago. It is expected to be another 15-20 years until the next decent-sized shaker.

Though there isn't muh to do in Parkfield, you may want to try hanging out in Paso Robles. They felt the Parkfield Quake and got a VERY strong shot in the 03 San Simeon shaker.

Basically, live in Southern California for a decade and you'll get a good dose!

They have drugs for that ya know

Hell, I am in El cajon, and it made my house dance..
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci10701365.html

1.6????????

Shit.... I can't even feel those:ph34r:

We get those all the freakin time up here... I dont usually start noticing them till they get to a 3 or so:ph34r:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/47.49.-123.-121.php