drdive

United Parcel Service are IDIOTS

So we are waiting for our long delayed container from Mirage for LadyDiver (sent back 3 weeks ago due to fitting wrong - promised a 24 hour turnaround - took em 10 days to do it and ship it - another story to come later>:(), and the package is scheduled to arrive today - "adult signature required". So we made arrangements to have a 20 year old friend stay here all day today as we both had to work (like some of us tax payers in the USA occasionally do), but the fucking idiots at UPS would not let the 20 year old sign for it cuz she "was not an adult". She can enlist, die for our country, smoke, go to adult prison, but NOT SIGN FOR A FUCKING UPS PACKAGE!!! And after several fucking hours I finally got a hold of a real live person at UPS (after yelling at their automated response system). I do feel sorry for her having to listen to my rant, but what the hell!! "It is policy sir, your shipper requested adult signature blah blah fucking blah" Long story short, as we have to continue to work, Cindy will make the 10 mile trip after work, hopefully to arrive before the moronic companies 5:30m closing time to get the container that Mirage should have done right the first time. Oh and by the way, Mirage doesn't care that due to their ineptitude we have to pay the rigger 3 times instead of once - but another story for another post.

OK Thanks for listening - I feel so much better now.B|:| Time for a little more wine and hot tub.

Have a nice day, unless you are in UPS management - eat shit and die.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I am almost changing my mind on Infinity!! B|

Poor UPS chick listening to my reciting the tracking number 1256 A as in Asshole F as in Fuck etc etc.

But it got the supervisor on the phone in a hurry[:/]

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Poor UPS chick listening to my reciting the tracking number 1256 A as in Asshole F as in Fuck etc etc.

Classy :S

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Hey, man, I'm sorry for your difficulties, but do you actually not understand why the shipper wants yourself or someone over 18 who lives at your address to sign? I can just hear your "other" rant:

Why the fuck would they let somebody sign for my package who's not me? The fuckers let somebody steal my shit!!

By the way, I also hate those businesses that stay open until 5:30 so I can get there after work. The assholes.

:D

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Hey, man, I'm sorry for your difficulties, but do you actually not understand why the shipper wants yourself or someone over 18 who lives at your address to sign?

So we made arrangements to have a 20 year old friend stay here all day today as we both had to work...

:|

Matt

When I talk to customer service centers, I usually recite something for them and myself. It goes like, "I understand you are just the person who answered the phone and this is not your fault, but I AM mad." That simple acknowledgemetn usually gets me excellent service and I thank them for it afterwards.

And I don't understand what they are defining as an adult. It is 18 in 48 states and 19 in the other two.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Exactly!! That was the basis of my angst! And I did tell the poor customer service girl I was not angry at her, but at her companies stupid policy. However, I wasn't as nice to the supervisor who continued to recite policy of having an adult, who by their definition is 21.

"

Any I don't understand what they are defining as an adult. It is 18 in 48 states and 19 in the other two.

but they are still not "drinking-size adults" :S

I don't know why that would apply for a parcel delivery though... Unless you would have alcohol delivered home, and the poor 20year old girl would get wasted... :|:|:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

You're blaming the wrong people. I'd direct my angst at Mirage Systems for requiring a signature in the first place. They do that to try and protect themselves (not you.)

I worked for major rig manufacturer for many years and if they aren't big enough to eat a very seldom genuinely lost in transit rig you're dealing with the wrong folks. Besides it costs them a third (or less) of the $2600 they charge you for a container to just build you another one. (And they could build that rig in a day or two if they don't pretend it's not their fault and put you back in the rear of the queue.)

NickD :)

Hey, man, I'm sorry for your difficulties, but do you actually not understand why the shipper wants yourself or someone over 18 who lives at your address to sign?

So we made arrangements to have a 20 year old friend stay here all day today as we both had to work...

:|

Touché
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

... the fucking idiots at UPS would not let the 20 year old sign for it cuz she "was not an adult". She can enlist, die for our country, smoke, go to adult prison, but NOT SIGN FOR A FUCKING UPS PACKAGE!!! ...

But can she consume alcohol legally? :P

One more year and she could have signed for the package while being drunk !!! :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Exactly!! That was the basis of my angst! And I did tell the poor customer service girl I was not angry at her, but at her companies stupid policy. However, I wasn't as nice to the supervisor who continued to recite policy of having an adult, who by their definition is 21.

From what I understand they have the "21 and over" option for shippers of alcohol, to allow them to comply with those laws; but I think there's also a direct signature required option that requires that it be signed for by someone at the house, which is what would have served your needs and Mirage's needs. Mirage has confidence it hasn't ended up in the hands of a shifty neighbor, and you can leave someone under 21 at home to sign for it.

But as much as I think UPS is a poorly-run organization, your beef is with Mirage in this case for choosing the wrong option (and/or for not communicating the implications to you of their choosing that option).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have to agree with Krisanne above. Not UPS's fault that they followed their published policies.

"UPS will provide you with evidence of delivery in your choice of these options:

Delivery Confirmation: UPS will mail you a confirmation of delivery without a signature.

Signature Required: UPS will obtain the recipient's signature and provide you with a printed copy. You may also view the recipient's signature online.

Adult Signature Required: UPS will obtain the adult recipient's signature and provide you with a printed copy. Adult recipients must be at least 21. You may also view the adult recipient's signature online."

They need to protect themselves and their shipping customers from violating laws on shipping things like alcohol.

But you have a beef with Mirage.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have to agree with Krisanne above. Not UPS's fault that they followed their published policies.

"UPS will provide you with evidence of delivery in your choice of these options:

Delivery Confirmation: UPS will mail you a confirmation of delivery without a signature.

Signature Required: UPS will obtain the recipient's signature and provide you with a printed copy. You may also view the recipient's signature online.

Adult Signature Required: UPS will obtain the adult recipient's signature and provide you with a printed copy. Adult recipients must be at least 21. You may also view the adult recipient's signature online."

They need to protect themselves and their shipping customers from violating laws on shipping things like alcohol.

But you have a beef with Mirage.

Maybe - but UPS still sucks.

I think I have had six packages in the last two years delivered by UPS. And because of the customer service and quality od delivery service, i will not do business with companies that do not offer alternative shipping other than UPS. Here is why: 2 of the six were 2 days later than the expected due date. 3 of the packages were dilivered to the wrong adress, 2 of those were subsequently lost then found 10 days later. the last of the three became an insurance claim . . . 45 days there - then miraculously they found it and it was only 50 days late.

BUT HEY - One Package made it on time and in tact. That seems like it would be a pretty good record, right!

FUCK UPS
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, I currently have a peeve with USPS.
Two weeks ago I ordered an item from NewEgg.
They shipped it via an arrangement where DHL takes it cross-country, then hands it off to USPS for local delivery.
A week ago, USPS updated their tracking info to indicate they had received it in a nearby 'burb of Denver, but list it as "mis-sent".
No updates for the past week.>:(
Today I contacted NewEgg, and requested a replacement.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh, I won't argue with you there. It's why I ship with FedEx (if I need delivery confirmations) or USPS (if I don't, or if I have longer for a package to get to its destination). I only deal with UPS when I'm the recipient and it's the shipper's only option.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Valinda recently paid for express UPS service to the East coast for a package for my daughter. It was not delivered on time. Their excuse? The college mailroom was not open. Too bad it actually was open. She got a full refund but was still not happy with the shoddy service.

Valinda recently paid for express UPS service to the East coast for a package for my daughter. It was not delivered on time. Their excuse? The college mailroom was not open. Too bad it actually was open. She got a full refund but was still not happy with the shoddy service.

Out of the issues that I have had with delivery times and such - the shiper always ended up with the refund. I get screwed either way. Either UPS keeps the money, or it gets returned to the shipper - but I don't get to see it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This comes up every once in a while. EVERY COMPANY IS BOUND TO SOMETIMES MAKE MISTAKES.

As far as the shipping beefs, we already had a thread, and I will just repeat what I said there
original thread : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3823782

That's funny. I too have been in biz for many years. Lifetime of mailorder to be exact. And I have sent thousands of packages with UPS/FedEx/USPS. And quite a few with DHL.

And the company that fucked up the most...
wait for it
wait for it
Was the one which handled the most packages.

In other words the years when I ran with a UPS account, UPS fucked up considerably more than FedEx. But in the last few years that I have favored my FedEx account FedEx made more mistakes.

Just to put in some quantitative data (I know, solid, reliable info is very bad on these forums, sorry) - I shipped anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 packages per year.

Yet again it seems that people love to judge a book by it's cover by either formulating an opinion based on a one-off experience or experience with a single employee of the company.

I am almost changing my mind on Infinity!! B|

:D:D:D:D
I'll hafta remember that one.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

By the way, I got the package - Thanks, Paul. Pretty quick delivery - I didn't examine the label so I have nothing to contribute to the who-fucks-up-more discussion. [:/]

But I think it was US Mail. :)