airdvr

When you pump gas...

...and you're using a credit or debit card, do you still round up?
I find myself doing this when it really makes no sense unless you're paying cash.

Yep. I've had some false charges before whereby someone got hold of my credit card number and put gas charges on it that weren't mine. So rounding-up is one of my ways of making sure that the charge is really mine. If it's not rounded-off on my credit card statement, I get suspicious.

I find myself doing this when it really makes no sense unless you're paying cash.

Yep. I've had some false charges before whereby someone got hold of my credit card number and put gas charges on it that weren't mine. So rounding-up is one of my ways of making sure that the charge is really mine. If it's not rounded-off on my credit card statement, I get suspicious.

Yeah, I always round up. I hate the fast pumps though. Hard to get it to stop right on the dollar. Pisses me off when I try to stop at $43.00, and the pump skips a cent and goes to $43.01, then I gotta go to $43.50. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You don't get a receipt?
I get a receipt for everything.
When the bill comes, if I don't have a receipt for it, I don't pay it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi air,

Come to Oregon; you cannot pump your own gas & it is illegal to top off.

IMO, why would anyone round-up? It is a credit card for pete's sake; and you pay the bill at the end of the month along with all of the other charges. You are not pulling change out of your front pocket.

:S:S:S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Some cars you should definitely not top off.

You don't get a receipt?
I get a receipt for everything.
When the bill comes, if I don't have a receipt for it, I don't pay it.

You mean like George right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I'm from NJ... We don't pump our gas. I can say that most gas attendants round up, though I'm sure it's only so that the end-of-the-day total ends in a 5 or 0.

No. That miniscule ammount of extra gas you get just isn't worth it to me.

Additionally if they have a charge limit, unless it's an amazingly cheap price, I don't bother fully filling by running my card again.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I do! One of my first jobs was pumping gas when the pumps were mechanical. (And gas stations actually employed pump jockeys.) Customers would often ask for their gas in gallons not by dollar amount. And I was always proud of the fact I could get it spot on. Nowadays, with the way modern pumps fly, I can still do it. It's a useless skill, but a skill nonetheless, LOL . . .

Plus, it was super sexy when Cougars (we used to call them old bags) would demand, "Hey Sonnny, check my oil!"

NickD :)

I do! One of my first jobs was pumping gas when the pumps were mechanical. (And gas stations actually employed pump jockeys.) Customers would often ask for their gas in gallons not by dollar amount. And I was always proud of the fact I could get it spot on. Nowadays, with the way modern pumps fly, I can still do it. It's a useless skill, but a skill nonetheless, LOL . . .

Plus, it was super sexy when Cougars (we used to call them old bags) would demand, "Hey Sonnny, check my oil!"

NickD :)

At the marina where I sometimes buy gas for the boat they still have those older dial type pumps. I think it's great when the young turk who hands me the hose thinks I'm not gonna be able to stop it dead on. He has no idea.

Remember when gas first went past $1 per gallon and none of the pumps were ever designed to handle more that 99.9 cents?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Hi air,

Come to Oregon; you cannot pump your own gas & it is illegal to top off.

Dipwad at the Fred Meyer's gas station East of Portland topped off my car this year, all down the freakin' fender. What a dork. I said "Hey, you're getting my car dirty." After 800 miles on a road trip, I was joking, trying to make light of him wasting my fuel. He offered to wipe down my paint with a rag. :S

Uhh, no thanks.:|

You don't get a receipt? I get a receipt for everything. When the bill comes, if I don't have a receipt for it, I don't pay it.

I get a receipt most of the time. Sometimes the printers at the pump are out of paper and I don't feel like going inside to get a copy from the clerk. Sometimes I just forget. So that's not a 100% perfect solution for me. And then I get those mysterious codes on my credit card bill and wonder what the heck that charge was for...

I can say that most gas attendants round up

Yes, and that's to drive-up their sales. If they put an extra 50-cents in every gas tank, they can make several hundred extra dollars per day. But you have to watch the bastards. I've seen them keep pumping so much that the gas pours out the filler spout, and then when you drive off, about a half-gallon pours out the back end of the car.

I thought of you as I pumped gas today. I did not round up, nor do I ever when I'm paying with a credit card.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm from NJ... We don't pump our gas. I can say that most gas attendants round up, though I'm sure it's only so that the end-of-the-day total ends in a 5 or 0.

On the bike, we get to pump our own gas so yes I round up if I can.
On the car it is what it is. I'm more interested in the MPG than the $$$ since major changes in MPG can tell you that your car is going to have problems.
Though when my coils went last week there was no unusual issues.
But the new coils get me an extr 1mpg! :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!