godfrog

Canopy size

We hear about all the little speedy canopys that are so popular, right?
Sooo.. what is the biggest parachute you have jumped? ( excluding tandem rigs)

Mine was a mighty mac.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Nav 240 (exit weight approx. 175). Yep, student jump. I was supposed to try front riser turns under canopy. I did "try," but wasn't very successful! I did much better under the 220 I jumped after that.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

The biggest square I own is a Jetstream 305 made in PA back in the 1980's. It looks kinda like a one off ( ok maybe they made 2 of them but I don't know why) Parafoil. I jumped that POS one time. It has 2 steering lines on each side of the canopy and you have to pull those down thru a ring on the riser.. making it one of the hardest things to "steer" I have ever jumped. Needless to say the "flare" on the canopy was exceedingly hard.. making for an "interesting" landingB|

I owned a Raven 4, 280 sq ft, for years. A lot of us jumped accuracy back then and big canopies were not unusual. I could land a canopy stack or sink it into the peas, easy.

From that I went to a Stiletto 135. I guess that was rapid downsizing but we didn't know what that was yet.:D

I remember something like that too john, they talked a 250lb guy into trying a 135 something or other and told him to flair when he got scared!
He survived but I don't know how!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I owned a Raven 4, 280 sq ft, for years. A lot of us jumped accuracy back then and big canopies were not unusual. I could land a canopy stack or sink it into the peas, easy.

From that I went to a Stiletto 135. I guess that was rapid downsizing but we didn't know what that was yet.:D

A Raven 4 for accuracy???:o
I borrowed one once, and was shooting for the peas in deep brakes when I felt an odd bump.
I looked up to see the left & right corners of the tail almost touching.
And this was at 500'!!!
I didn't know the Raven had a high enough aspect ratio to do that.
A lesson I never forgot.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A Raven 4 for accuracy???:o
I borrowed one once, and was shooting for the peas in deep brakes when I felt an odd bump.
I looked up to see the left & right corners of the tail almost touching.
And this was at 500'!!!

It was a good compromise canopy, low pack volume for the square footage, but not the best accuracy platform. If flew okay in deep brakes, but just about any canopy will horseshoe in a stall, which I did many times just playing around. On the plus side, recovery from stalls was very easy and predictable.

f flew okay in deep brakes, but just about any canopy will horseshoe in a stall, which I did many times just playing around.

In my experience, an aspect ratio of less than 2.1 won't horseshoe.
I had a couple Parafoils (AR=1.9) that were fun to fly backward.
Just bring it down to a stall, take a bunch of handwraps, bury the toggles, then fly around backward with the topskin flapping in the breeze.B|

At the opposite extreme, I had a National Renegade 232 (AR=3.0), that would horseshoe if you turned too quick.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.