Nataly

Home remedies for a cold??

Been sneezing all day, and I don't like to medicate... Anyone have any home remedies (not involving drugs) they swear by for the common cold?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Been sneezing all day, and I don't like to medicate... Anyone have any home remedies (not involving drugs) they swear by for the common cold?

Fallacio.

Gets REALLY INTERESTING

Guy - Receive Fellacio - Girls get to give - everyone is happy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Spicy food?

I like my idea much better.

Think about it this way - if she sneezes just right - Poof - you have a boy balloon.

on a seriuous note - try Altoids or some other strong mint.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Dr. Bob's Magic Throat Lotion.
I used to say that years ago when the applicator worked better.;)

If you take the correct medication or combination of medications, your cold will only last 1 week. If you do nothing, it will last 7 days.;)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

My favourites:

Spicy food and lemon and ginger tea with honey. I also tend to OD on Vitamin C (e.g. Berocca)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Nasal irrigation, particularly last thing at night and first thing in the morning. Gets lots of what irritates your throat out of there and no longer irritating.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No disrespect intended, but I don't understand people who don't medicate when they have a cold. (Exception: elderly, who have to be extra-careful with meds.) When I get colds, they're miserable and kick my ass. I hate colds as much as Airdvr hates his job. OTC cold meds do work. When I medicate, it's about a 60% improvement in how I feel. Now that's just me; but who would not want that benefit?

No disrespect intended, but I don't understand people who don't medicate when they have a cold. (Exception: elderly, who have to be extra-careful with meds.) When I get colds, they're miserable and kick my ass. I hate colds as much as Airdvr hates his job. OTC cold meds do work. When I medicate, it's about a 60% improvement in how I feel. Now that's just me; but who would not want that benefit?

And I don't understand how some people are so keen on ingesting all kinds of meds...

It's a known fact that medication alleviates symptoms but does not cure a cold. I don't object to natural remedies (within reason - marijuana is, of course "natural" but I wouldn't take it!!), but I don't like the idea of taking something unnecessary and unnatural. Something that could actually cause problems we just haven't discovered yet, because it just doesn't belong in our bodies. I *would* take medication if the pain were unbearable - otherwise, pain/discomfort is our body's way of telling us to slow down and recover. I'm not saying I "need" to suffer.. Just that I don't think medicating is the right answer for me.

So I am a fan of relief - just not the synthetic kind.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

And I don't understand how some people are so keen on ingesting all kinds of meds...
It's a known fact that medication alleviates symptoms but does not cure a cold.

So what? I know fully well that meds won't cure my cold any faster. But if it makes the difference between being totally miserable and dysfunctional, or feeling half-way better and somewhat human and getting a bit of sleep at night while the damn thing runs its course, then I'm taking the meds. As for something synthetic that might not belong in my body? - screw that. If it shortens my life by 15 years, well ok. But if it simply means I'll be a crotchety old man for 2 weeks less tha I would anyway, then that's fine with me.

OK, so where's my Robo?

I don't feel "totally miserable and dysfunctional" - perhaps what you are describing is man-flu!! :D:D If I had *that* i would probably be begging for drugs!!!! :P

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Guaifenesin is all natural and it is terrific. Take it with LOTS of HOT water. Water as hot as you'd drink for coffee of tea. Don't eat or drink anything cold. Second the nasal rinse, too.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

It's a known fact that medication alleviates symptoms but does not cure a cold.

Nothing cures a cold. Fluids and sleep help. I find some meds help to alleviate some of the symptoms.

I'm not a big fan of medications either. But when I have a cold, I take some Neo-Citran, a few Aleve and go to sleep. The Neo-Citran helps me sleep. The Aleve takes away the aches.

If I sleep better, I feel better the next day.

Hope you're feeling better soon!!! :)
'Shell

Thanks everyone. Am trying lots of sleep combined with hot fluids/soup. I don't think I feel better today than yesterday, but I've got a good book to keep me company, so I guess on balance things are ok :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Do it their way, and it will take you at least 7 days to get over your cold. Do it my way, and you'll kick it in a week.

Careful, Andy . . . Quade will be all over you with that BLATANT plagerism and youdidn't give anyone credit for it.

TSK TSK TSK

It's a known fact that medication alleviates symptoms but does not cure a cold. I don't object to natural remedies (within reason - marijuana is, of course "natural" but I wouldn't take it!!), but I don't like the idea of taking something unnecessary and unnatural. Something that could actually cause problems we just haven't discovered yet, because it just doesn't belong in our bodies. I *would* take medication if the pain were unbearable - otherwise, pain/discomfort is our body's way of telling us to slow down and recover. I'm not saying I "need" to suffer.. Just that I don't think medicating is the right answer for me.

So I am a fan of relief - just not the synthetic kind.

Antihistamines (like benadryl or the generic eqivalent) have been around for decades. The side effects are known and long-term issues are nil. Pseudo-ephedrine is about the same.
If your symptoms are causing discomfort, taking them to alleveiate them isn't unnatural (at least not a lot unnatural). But go ahead and suffer to feel better about yourself if you wish.

I take as little medication as possible (especially antibiotics), but simple cold relief isn't a big deal to me.

As far as "natural" cures -

Zinc has been shown to help. Echanchia (sp?) hasn't been solidly proven one way or the other, despite numerous studies (AFAIK). Vitamin C doesn't hurt, but probably doesn't do much help.

I'm a big fan of the Hall's "Defense" with the above 3. I can't prove anything, but if I start taking them as soon as the slightest symptoms begin to surface, the cold is much less severe and much shorter in duration. If I wait until the symptoms are definitely there, then the symptoms aren't as bad, and the cold is a little bit shorter. But, as always, YMMV:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo