pchapman

skydiver bonfire related fatalities?

I'm trying to get my facts straight on this issue in a discussion with a friend:

What fatalities have there been from skydivers falling into a bonfire?

I know there was one in the last decade, but am not sure if there was a second.

There was the fellow who fell through a windshield of a car deliberately placed in a bonfire, at Crosskeys, NJ, some years back.

Given how much skydivers like to play with objects in the fire pit, there are probably a bunch of less well reported injuries too.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more injuries and such from bonfires over the years.

Back in the day the Herd had a milk can cannon. Anyone remember that? Friend of mine took a lid to his lid and was never quite right after.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I saw a guy destroy a cell phone by accidentally dropping it in a bonfire. And don't ask me how I know this, but when you're lighting the bonfire, be careful not to use avgas when you think you're using jet fuel.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I'm trying to get my facts straight on this issue in a discussion with a friend:

There was the fellow who fell through a windshield of a car deliberately placed in a bonfire, at Crosskeys, NJ, some years back.

Given how much skydivers like to play with objects in the fire pit, there are probably a bunch of less well reported injuries too.

The incident you are referring to in NJ was my friend and former Golden Knight Paul Rafferty. There were at least two other instances that I can think of where people fell into the bonfire while intoxicated just a few days apart at the same location and had to be life flighted out. I am not positive if both died or not.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

From the CSPA coach one reference material.

Burns:
• Although rare, the occasional drunk skydiver may fall in the fire. Fireworks may also
present a problem
• STAY SAFE! Do not let the rescuer get burned trying to save the victim.
• Treating a burn begins with stopping the burning process. Cool the burned area with cool
running water for several minutes. If an ambulance is coming, continue running water
over the burned area until the ambulance arrives.
• Look for blistering, sloughing, or charred (blackened) skin. Blistering or sloughing (skin
coming off) means the top layer of skin is completely damaged and complications are likely. Charring indicates even deeper damage to all three layers of skin

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

The incident you are referring to in NJ was my friend and former Golden Knight Paul Rafferty. There were at least two other instances that I can think of where people fell into the bonfire while intoxicated just a few days apart at the same location and had to be life flighted out. I am not positive if both died or not.

Yep.........It came as a shocker to many!

Yeah, that was the Easter Boogie in either 09 or 08 as I recall. The guy got shit faced, went for a dunk in the swoopin pond and then stood back to the fire to dry off..and fell backwards.
The fire pit had recently been cleaned out (debris) and was deeper than usual. Wasn't easy to get out.

Booze..gotta luv it.
DOOG
Muff 846
All you people are here to make sure I have a good time.

Back in the day the Herd had a milk can cannon. Anyone remember that?

I remember the Herd's milk can cannon at ZHills one year. Things got a little tense after a particularly well-placed shot put the lid through the windshield of someone's car. [:/]

We also had one a couple years before that on New Years Eve. The guy jumped the fire, made it across then fell backward into the pit. Mostly burned his hands and forearms when he put his hands down to break his fall.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick and doog, Funny, or sad as the case may be, but neither of those are the one I was talking about. I don't think I've been there on New Years since about '05.

Yeah I can recall at least 2 incidents but there were probably more:S

Similar incident in Z-Hills for New Years 08 I think. Guy walked over a burning car and fell, burnt his ass and arms, lucky as hell he didn't fall in or it would have been a lot worse.

Yeah the whole burning car thing kinda pissed off the fire marshall in Z-Hills

Yeah the whole burning car thing kinda pissed off the fire marshall in Z-Hills

:D I wonder why? :|

I thought this thread was going to be about someone from these forums coming to your house. [:/] I think it is horrible that people die in bonfires.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

That was a sad, sad thing. [:/]

Yes. It was.

Listen, all.

I know that there's a LOT of bravado and testosterone around the bonfire at night. I understand pressures and daring.... but
please
Please
PLEASE
do NOT play games with fire.

Fire is UNFORGIVING! Even if you survive, you don't necessarily "win" - scorched lungs, scarred tissue and jobst suits, chronic pain.

While in nursing school... years and years back... I worked with some burn victims - you NEVER get that smell out of you memory. In residency, one of the medical students that rotated with us was a burn victim. I've had both personal and professional interactions with burns.

Do NOT play with fire.

Just don't. It's not funny. It's not a test of manliness. Please learn from the past.