npgraphicdesign

Where to go skiing?

I'm looking for a good place in the US to go spend a week and ski my Russian heart out. Unless I end up close to a big city somewhere where I'll also be able to go to a museum, see the sights, get together with some fellow skydivers for drinks, etc...my schedule would ideally be as follows: get up, eat breakfast, go skiing, get back to hotel room, go to sleep, then repeat for 4 or 5 days.

I don't want to go to a resort where people go to show off their expensive ski equipment while barely skiing and spend most time in the lodge eating and drinking. I want to go to a mountain with a nice range of black and double black diamonds, some nice terrain/woods skiing (which I want to get into a lot more as I've barely done that), and trails which are at least 5k+ in length.

Any suggestions?

Oh and I live in CT.

Taos Ski Valley has plenty of difficult runs. I don't do any blacks at Taos, but at other resorts I can do some when I'm in practice. It's about 50% black.

And, of course, the "official" king of US skiiing is Vail, I believe. There's probably a reason for that (i.e. good skiiing). It's huge, with plenty of difficult runs, and some long ones, at least according to Wikipedia.

You said "US" so I'll leave out Whistler, but it's awesome.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm looking for a good place in the US to go spend a week and ski my Russian heart out. Unless I end up close to a big city somewhere where I'll also be able to go to a museum, see the sights, get together with some fellow skydivers for drinks, etc...my schedule would ideally be as follows: get up, eat breakfast, go skiing, get back to hotel room, go to sleep, then repeat for 4 or 5 days.

I don't want to go to a resort where people go to show off their expensive ski equipment while barely skiing and spend most time in the lodge eating and drinking. I want to go to a mountain with a nice range of black and double black diamonds, some nice terrain/woods skiing (which I want to get into a lot more as I've barely done that), and trails which are at least 5k+ in length.

Any suggestions?

Oh and I live in CT.

I went up to Sugarbush in Vermont two weeks ago- it was AMAZING! Great mountains, lots of fresh powder, lots of challenging runs, not too crowded, 111 trails!

Not too touristy, either. We had a blast.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

From SLC. Utah, there are half a dozen great ski resorts within 45 minutes or less. Up Parley's canyon on I-80 is Park City, Deer Valley, and The Canyons. On South to Big Cottonwood Canyon and you have Brighton and Solitude. Drive a touch farther and you have Little Cottonwood Canyon, home to Snowbird and the grand-daddy of them all, Alta (where they still don't allow those pesky snowboarders.) Sundance is just East of Provo, Utah ( although the night life in Provo is not great.) Head North to Ogden and there are another 4 ski resorts less than an hour's drive away.

SLC, Provo and Ogden all have plenty of motels at reasonable prices and plenty of dining. SLC and Ogden even have decent bars!:o:D You could probably have a pretty good time here and hit a different resort each day for a week (or two).B|

http://www.skiutah.com/winter/planning/maps

BTW, I have not been paid to post this.;):D

If you wanna stay on the east coast, Whiteface in NY has the largest vertical drop in the east. Great mountain that has everything. Jay Peak in Vermont is also another good one, really good glades, and there never a huge crowd like you get at killington.

If you wanna stay on the east coast, Whiteface in NY has the largest vertical drop in the east. Great mountain that has everything. Jay Peak in Vermont is also another good one, really good glades, and there never a huge crowd like you get at killington.

Going to Whiteface in Feb... definitely excited!
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

veil, steamboat springs, breckenridge, snowy range, are all world famous skii places. LOADS of runs.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Anyone ski in Utah?

Yes! :)
Here are some good options:

Option 1: Go to Utah- stay at the Peruvian Lodge- ski Alta and Snowbird- meet like-minded skiers at hot tub- wander around lodge in your long underwear- don't die in an avalanche. (See also: Solitude and Powder Mountain)

Option 2: Fly to Gunnison, CO- ski Crested Butte- wish you had lungs like a Sherpa- eat at Izzy's and Teocalli Tamale- heck, eat everywhere- you get hungry skiing at 9,000 feet.

Option 3: Fly to Reno, Ski Heavenly- enjoy the sunshine and views on trails and trees that go on for days- ski Mott Canyon, ski Firebreak- avoid the tree wells. (See also: Kirkwood, Squaw)

All of these ski vacations can be carfree- CB & Heavenly have free ski shuttles- and the Peruvian includes meals and is walking distance to the lifts.

Btw- feel free to take me with you, I pack small ;)
Again and Again....face to face with the sky - RMR

Fuck it, why not Jackson Hole...I'll be there!

btw, are you a chick?...if so, good times awaiting...

if you're a dude...np, good times awaiting...

It's Jack's Hole Baby!

YeeeHawww!!!!;):D

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Fuck it, why not Jackson Hole...I'll be there!

btw, are you a chick?...if so, good times awaiting...

if you're a dude...np, good times awaiting...

It's Jack's Hole Baby!

YeeeHawww!!!!;):D

Hahaha...I've already fooled one DZ member (who also jump at my local DZ) who thought I was a chick...I still think he hasn't forgiven me, right Dougy? ;)

I just want a week of non-stop skiing, that's all I really want. :P

Anyone ski in Utah?

Option 1: Go to Utah- stay at the Peruvian Lodge- ski Alta and Snowbird- meet like-minded skiers at hot tub- wander around lodge in your long underwear- don't die in an avalanche. (See also: Solitude and Powder Mountain)

Option 2: Fly to Gunnison, CO- ski Crested Butte- wish you had lungs like a Sherpa- eat at Izzy's and Teocalli Tamale- heck, eat everywhere- you get hungry skiing at 9,000 feet.

Option 3: Fly to Reno, Ski Heavenly- enjoy the sunshine and views on trails and trees that go on for days- ski Mott Canyon, ski Firebreak- avoid the tree wells. (See also: Kirkwood, Squaw)

All of these ski vacations can be carfree- CB & Heavenly have free ski shuttles- and the Peruvian includes meals and is walking distance to the lifts.

Whereabouts are you from? Sounds like I may just need to meet you there, not take you there. ;)

Anyone ski in Utah?

I grew up in Colorado and have skied most of the ski areas there. However, I have to agree with #1 and #3 on the list above. As much as I love Colorado and the skiing there, it can be a real pain in the ass getting to the ski areas, esp from DIA. Flying into SLC, if you fly in on the early flight, you can easily get in 1/2 day skiing on the 1st day. Snowbird and Alta are amazing ski areas...probably two of my favorites (still hoping to get up to Whistler-Blackcomb). Tahoe is also amazing. I agree with Heavenly. I've been there twice now and have really enjoyed each time. Beautiful mountain that gets lots of snow.

I'll chime in for Alta in SLC as well. I was there in the spring, and there was fresh powder on the mountain every day, and temps in the high 40s/ low 50s down in the valley. Knee deep powder all day, barely needed a jacket at night.

They got trees there, but they also have some sick 50 drop offs too, so be careful if you go off-trail.