warpedskydiver

Movies That have Flaws

OK so when you watch an old movie, why do the stars always leave the lights on in their cars as they walk away
(not modern timed lights)

Why do actors always look at the phone before they hang up?

Why do actors portraying decorated soldiers in uniform wear their ribbons in the wrong order and other parts of uniform do not make sense?

In the Deer Hunter, Deniro has a RANGER tab, fine, but the flash on his beret is incorrect, he also wears it like a hippie.

The deer he intentionally did not shoot was not a white tail and not indigenous to PA either.

Beard, long hair and not an operator? No way.

Many other inconsistencies that really detract form the movie.

This one I singled out because it won 5 Oscars and yet was so lame as far as details.

Am I the only one this really bothers?

Why is it most weapons in the movies have magazine capacities that require a belt?

Why do the good guys hit every target without ever using he sights or establishing a lead?

The movie loses it's entertainment value when the details are so carelessly dismissed.:|

BTW why do so many Vietnam movies insist that there was such open and frequent drug use?

What did they run out of rooms at LBJ?

Insubordination was rampant in these movies, they act as if there was no unit cohesiveness nor fear of UCMJ.

[/rant]

How about removing the rear view mirror in the car that's being chased so the actor has to always look over their shoulder for dramatic effect. tonight just saw special victims unit, Det. Elliot came up to the car passenger side tried the door, knocked on the window, said open up, to a fellow Det. she leaned over, (what no auto unlock?) and opened the door. It was an older car, manual lock button was already in the up position and didn't move when she opened the door. I love catching this stuff.

OK so when you watch an old movie, why do the stars always leave the lights on in their cars as they walk away

So that they can make a cutscene to look at what ever the character is looking at (the phone) and make the sponsors(phone manufacturers) happy.

Why do actors portraying decorated soldiers in uniform wear their ribbons in the wrong order and other parts of uniform do not make sense?

In the Deer Hunter, Deniro has a RANGER tab, fine, but the flash on his beret is incorrect, he also wears it like a hippie.

The deer he intentionally did not shoot was not a white tail and not indigenous to PA either.

99% of people don't know any better nor care so its fine.

This one I singled out because it won 5 Oscars and yet was so lame as far as details.

Why is it most weapons in the movies have magazine capacities that require a belt?

Why do the good guys hit every target without ever using he sights or establishing a lead?

Just like actual fist fight scenes, if it were realistic, it'd be too boring to show on screen. After all Hollywood is place where cars blowup when they run out of gas.

The movie loses it's entertainment value when the details are so carelessly dismissed.:|

BTW why do so many Vietnam movies insist that there was such open and frequent drug use?

Its was the hippie times, everybody was on drugs 24/7.

Insubordination was rampant in these movies, they act as if there was no unit cohesiveness nor fear of UCMJ.

[/rant]

Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The Deer Hunter was filmed in Clairton, PA. Ever seen the "mountains in PA. They aren't the Rockies like the movie depicted.:P

Fighter pilots laughed at Top Gun, Skydivers laugh at Point Break, Terminal Velocity, Drop Zone and Cutaway, firemen laugh at Backdraft.

It's entertainment, not documentary.

Sometimes finite details get in the way of a good story. Sometimes budget precludes things from happening. Sometimes the director wants to give nitpicky people something to nitpick.Sometimes it's eyetrace. Sometimes composition matters more than accuracy. Sometimes it's suspension of disbelief. Sometimes it's an error. Sometimes it's intentional. Sometimes no one cares. Sometimes, someone cares.
It's just a story.
End of story.

Sometimes finite details get in the way of a good story. Sometimes budget precludes things from happening. Sometimes the director wants to give nitpicky people something to nitpick.Sometimes it's eyetrace. Sometimes composition matters more than accuracy. Sometimes it's suspension of disbelief. Sometimes it's an error. Sometimes it's intentional. Sometimes no one cares. Sometimes, someone cares.
It's just a story.
End of story.

Ok, but some of the minor details would have taken a costume assistant or a technical assistant a few seconds to fix. Like making sure a trigger is set on a handgun that is supposed to be "loaded." Uniform errors are would have been the easiest to fix long before film touched a camera.

Those are the sorts of things that literally ruin a movie for me. Everything else can be great, but missing an important details like that pulls me out of the movie and back into the real world.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

[/rant]

This is a requirement if they want the advice/assistance of the military. The actor has to have something wrong with the uniform. Yeah, in the older movies there were painfully obvious! These days they make it as subtle as possible, and I'm always checking out Marine uniforms to see what's wrong. It can be as simple as wearing a ribbon upside down or with the wrong device. One good one was on JAG: Catherine Bell usually wore her Marine Corps insignias on her service uniform on the wrong sides (anchors facing outboard).
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

[/rant]

This is a requirement if they want the advice/assistance of the military. The actor has to have something wrong with the uniform. Yeah, in the older movies there were painfully obvious! These days they make it as subtle as possible, and I'm always checking out Marine uniforms to see what's wrong. It can be as simple as wearing a ribbon upside down or with the wrong device. One good one was on JAG: Catherine Bell usually wore her Marine Corps insignias on her service uniform on the wrong sides (anchors facing outboard).

That's correct, it has to be intentionally done. Some are more obvious than others, my theory is that it depends on if they have a good military advisor or just a costume prop person pinning what they think looks cool on the uniforms.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think you understood why I said it bothered me, I never knew it had to be incorrect though.

Having an SF patch without a TAB, a BZ with V below lesser ribbons.

Black beret on SF guys, beret worn like a french baker.

Seals that look like the Pillsbury dough boy or a walrus.

Jumpers that look like they could not get out the door without a tailgate.

Shit like that, so much gear gear on a patrol that it would require a HMMV to carry it all.

Guys doing DET work that would not even work.

EOD actually approaching devices when there would be no reason to, shoot the fucking thing.

Nuclear weapons that are so phony a child would probably notice.

People carrying a W85, without a strain.

Don't even get me started on the W85, all the info was bullshit on purpose.

And no I will not discuss it either:|

In the Deer Hunter...

It took me *three* tries before I was finally able to sit through that turgid movie, and the only reason I finally watched it all the way through was so I could properly condemn it w/o people telling me "oh, but you didn't watch the whole movie".:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

'Watchmen' was just the worst

The moral of the story was good though.

The detachment that comes with enlightenment, being a hero one day and a criminal the next.

Thankless society, bad people doing good things.

People being fucked up from childhood.

Taking the blame for a greater good.

many other examples

When stripes came out, about 90% of the audience in our theater walked out, Bill Murray only had one funny role in his life.

The movie was not only unfunny, it was a true insult.

I met him, I am really sorry I did as well.
Jim Belushi was even worse.

Arnold was a far nicer person, very congenial and funny.
He bought us lunch.

He also asked a lot of questions as well, very smart guy.

h
He also told some chicks I was a up and coming star, I was asked for autographs and :)

'Watchmen' was just the worst

The moral of the story was good though.

The detachment that comes with enlightenment, being a hero one day and a criminal the next.

Thankless society, bad people doing good things.

People being fucked up from childhood.

Taking the blame for a greater good.

many other examples

Even I didn't enjoy the big blue swinging cock on the big screen

Becasue there was.

See above.

In the field, protocol was that LAST thing you were thinking of.

Side note: The UCMJ was your friend. In the rear, the smart ones had a copy to carry around with them...and read...and know...inside and out.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This reminded me of a Peter Sellars movie where he was playing the role of an actor.

In a film, the time period was something like 1492 (I forget).

Peter puts his arm around someone and the coat cuff comes up and the Director shouts, "Cut!". He asks Sellers what time it is...Peter looks at his wrist watch and.....

Director: "They didn't have wristwatches in 1492 you idiot!"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

[/rant]

I never knew about a requirement for incorrect uniforms.
But the ONE thing that has ALWAYS pissed me off is the "John Wayne" salute. And the senior saluting the junior. For some reason, that just irks the shit out of me like the word "irreguardless" irks ome other people. Of all the shows and movies, I think JAG was the best at the details like that. I saw some TV magizene about the technical adviser. He was a retired Marine Lt. Col. and was a sticker for that sort of detail. Proper salutes and you never swa the Navy saluting under an overhead unless they were "under arms."
Saluting was probably the only thing I did consistantly well when I was in the Army because even as a kid I thought it looked shitty.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

It's just a story.
End of story.

Ok, but some of the minor details would have taken a costume assistant or a technical assistant a few seconds to fix. Like making sure a trigger is set on a handgun that is supposed to be "loaded." Uniform errors are would have been the easiest to fix long before film touched a camera.

Those are the sorts of things that literally ruin a movie for me. Everything else can be great, but missing an important details like that pulls me out of the movie and back into the real world.

Often times, costumers that are affordable don't know these fine details, and frankly (producer hat on) most viewers don't give a shit.
Making a film that is going to please every single skydiver out there in terms of accuracy, vs a story that pleases 95% of viewers and 1% of the viewing audience is skydivers, I honestly couldn't care any less. And I skydive.
FWIW, I'm working on a film that includes BASE in it, and it won't be accurate either. It's a MOW, so 99% of the viewers will love what they see, follow the story well, and won't care that he exits the object with one kind of rig and is in another rig during the flying portions. Skydivers and BASE jumpers will care.
But I don't.
it's about cost, access, and return on expense.

Catherine Bell usually wore her Marine Corps insignias on her service uniform on the wrong sides (anchors facing outboard).

But she is so fucking hot so who cares

I find this uniform totally unrealistic. No Marine would be caught in this. She should take it off immediately!>:(

;)B|

[/rant]

Because it was shot in the North Cascades.... and that scene was shot up at the Mt Baker Ski Area.:ph34r: