millertime24

Serious Question here...

So I was debating with my friend today what would be the BEST edged weapon in the event of a zombie apocalypse. The scenario I'm talking about here is say, you have 20ish zombies that need killing and you've exhausted your ammo supply and still have 3-4 zombies left to deal with.

My thought was to use a katana due to it's light weight and uber sharpness. He was arguing that the machete was a better option since the cutting surface carries more weight. My argument was that if they can get that close (enough for you to use a machete) then you're fucked.

Any opinions here? And, yes. This is the shit I talk with my coworkers about.
Muff #5048

Ok, well your friend needs to be checked for mental handicaps that may have gone un-noticed (no offense) if he thinks a machete is superior to a katana. You can buy a machete at Wal-Mart for $6.00. Katana's are so fucking sharp and strong no one has been able to replicate its durability and ability to put fuckers in the grave. My vote is definitely a katana. Now if I could have any weapon. I am going with a Mark-19 haha.

Ok, well your friend needs to be checked for mental handicaps that may have gone un-noticed (no offense) if he thinks a machete is superior to a katana. You can buy a machete at Wal-Mart for $6.00. Katana's are so fucking sharp and strong no one has been able to replicate its durability and ability to put fuckers in the grave. My vote is definitely a katana. Now if I could have any weapon. I am going with a Mark-19 haha.

I agree. He is a retard, but the fact that a better edged weapon could exist for such a purpose is the point of the discussion. For example, why not a heavy sword? Well the answer is easy to me. I can't wield one in a timely fashion, but say a sickle... that would give you more distance, but the cutting surface is very small.

Kind of looking at what edged weapons people would use and why.
Muff #5048

first of all my roommates and i talk about this all the time. we have a zombie apocalypse and a red dawn plan. i would go with a machete because you can have one in each hand and they can put people into the ground just as easily as a katana if it is real sharp. maybe i would have 1 machete and a combat ax something like this http://sogknives.com/store/F06T-N_fasthawk.html

You can have a katana in each hand too. And I believe that a katana can cut far more easily than a machete.

Except it would be smarter, if you're going to dual wield or have two edged weapons in general, to have two swords of different lengths. Fortunately ancient swordsmen figured this out a long time ago and I'd follow their example of a longer sword for outdoors that I could use with both hands for more power, dual wield along with a shorter sword and the shorter sword for indoors where swinging a longer sword just doesn't work.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You can have a katana in each hand too. And I believe that a katana can cut far more easily than a machete.

Disagree.
A single well made katana would most likely be the best bet. (as opposed to two katanas or any other sword)
Two blades does not significantly increase the effective radius, and it decreases the accuracy as well as the force behind the blade.

you have 20ish zombies that need killing and you've exhausted your ammo supply and still have 3-4 zombies left to deal with.

Zombies move real slow - I'd just run away from them and go find more ammo. You've got a backup cache, right? I don't want them getting close enough to me to need a sword...

You fuggin' kids...:S

Bunch a inner-web, armchair, all talk no walk Zombie killer wanna-bees!

Any old school cool, beer breath and battle tested Zombie slicer will tell ya...the Lirpa is the ONLY right tool for the job.

Katana vs. Machete vs. Swiss Army Knife...where do you youngsters come up with this shit?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

ok apparently im the only one here that realizes that you can only kill zombies by significant damage to the head whether it be by bullets or some other blunt object. a katana would simply not be as capable of doing this as well as a machete would. a katana is too lightweight to be able to carry enough velocity to be able to either chop a head off or do significant damage to a head to kill a zombie. Katanas are made for slicing not chopping. it would easily take several swipes with a katana to be able to cut a head completely off and a whole lot of force as well. a machete could do it with much less effort and could crack through a skull pretty easily too. but a katana wouldnt.

so my vote is machete or even an axe. i could sure slice a zombie up with a katana but i need to do damage to the head. whether it be cutting it right off or a swift chop to the skull a heavy sharp blade would be the way to go.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

I happen to have the equivalent of a blackbelt in a Japanese Swordsmanship martial art. Swinging that kilo of steel for any length of time is exhausting. Anything heavier would be more so. Also, skill counts for so much more than you would think. Having seen it done doesn't mean you can do it too.

The machete would be best for most people because it can be used effectively with little skill. It isn't overly heavy and it works in close quarters.

In the given scenario, if space permits, a heavier sword would likely damage the head faster than a katana. Since there are only three or four zombies left, the swordsman would be very tired afterwards, but alive. Something along the lines of a broadsword or hand a half would fit the bill. Were there more zombies or more action expected, I would opt for the lighter weapon for speed and endurance. In closer quarters, a wakizashi, machette or similar shorter edged weapon would be my preference. A long knife could act as a backup, but requires more skill than the machette to cut off a head.

I would personally opt for the katan, because I have trained extensively with it. But, if we were in tighter quarters, I would be forced to go with a shorter weapon.

So...it depends on the details of the situation. Even Samurai typically carried more than just the long sword. Inside, they carried the shorter wakizashi or even a tanto (knife).
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Any old school cool, beer breath and battle tested Zombie slicer will tell ya...the Lirpa is the ONLY right tool for the job.

Katana vs. Machete vs. Swiss Army Knife...where do you youngsters come up with this shit?

Hey! I resemble that remark. I kill zombies frequently, in an armchair, while drinking beer. And I hate to tell ya, but apparently you've never seen highly motivated nazi-zombies. They move quite fast.:P
Muff #5048

Ma Duece, for when you care to send the very best.B|

Ah yes. The mighty Ma Deuce. Problem is you're gonna run out of gun juice sooner or later, and what if that happens and you still have a handful of zombies left? Hence, the discussion about weapons that do not require reloading.
Muff #5048

Hey! I resemble that remark. I kill zombies frequently, in an armchair, while drinking beer. And I hate to tell ya, but apparently you've never seen highly motivated nazi-zombies. They move quite fast.:P

OWWWW....I'm 'So Scared' :|

Nazi Zombies are the Paris Hilton's of the Zombie world, I kill a couple dozen with a rusty butter knife while waiting for my breakfast pop-tarts to cook!

...and speakin' of Pop-tarts, ya wanna REAL challenge...take on a half a dozen Red-Headed Biker Babe Stripper Zombies!

Ya cut of THEIR heads and they'll pick it up by the hair swinging it like a middle ages mace and mash yer melon to mush. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

OWWWW....I'm 'So Scared' :|

Nazi Zombies are the Paris Hilton's of the Zombie world, I kill a couple dozen with a rusty butter knife while waiting for my breakfast pop-tarts to cook!

...and speakin' of Pop-tarts, ya wanna REAL challenge...take on a half a dozen Red-Headed Biker Babe Stripper Zombies!

Ya cut of THEIR heads and they'll pick it up by the hair swinging it like a middle ages mace and mash yer melon to mush. :)

:D:D:D:D

Man, I hope I get to meet you one day. :)
Muff #5048

At the risk of fueling more debate. I would suggest a good old fashioned fire ax. A Katana or a Machete are fine weapons, but one must inflict maximum cranial mayhem on the Zombies, and the ax carries more mass than either of the edged weapons and will therefore be more effective. Plus, it will come in handy for opening locked doors, chopping firewood. Then, there is the blunt edge trauma that it can inflict.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---