NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

There has to be a way to add a ripcord handle, closing pin, adjusting strap buckle ,or something to this bike,, somewhere!

maybe put your wings on the dash panal!B|

-technical challenge 1 : replace the kickstart with a ripcord handle (start it like a lawnmower)

-technical challenge 2 : in order to keep her sexy, you need to design your cables to fit INSIDE her tubes...

Hope you won't hate me too much for that Nick, but I'm completely in love with Nina. We might need to fight over her one day, or drink a beer together in her honor.

oooh and here's the dare.... once she is completed, dip her in salt water and let her rust to look like skyrider's ratbikes :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

There has to be a way to add a ripcord handle, closing pin, adjusting strap buckle ,or something to this bike,, somewhere!

-technical challenge 1 : replace the kickstart with a ripcord handle (start it like a lawnmower)

-technical challenge 2 : in order to keep her sexy, you need to design your cables to fit INSIDE her tubes...

Hope you won't hate me too much for that Nick, but I'm completely in love with Nina. We might need to fight over her one day, or drink a beer together in her honor.

oooh and here's the dare.... once she is completed, dip her in salt water and let her rust to look like skyrider's ratbikes :P

Flaw in that challenge,,,There is No Kicker!

Don't forget the Dytter that starts frantically chirping when the fuel is low.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Flaw in that challenge,,,There is No Kicker!

it's not a flaw, the electric starter needs to be replaced by a kicker (as Nick mentionned, it's additional safety:D), and after a thorough 12 second analysis I determined that a ripcord starter would be safer. In a second step it should be possible to replace the steel cable with Spectra and shock cord :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

How about a closing pin on the fuel petcock?

Cut the "real" lever off and put on a closing pin.

Small, fairly subtle, but any skydiver who looks closely at the motor is probably going to notice it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's a "pig horn" because it came came off a Kawasaki 1000 police bike. I mentioned it early on in this thread. (Seems like ages ago now.) I also have a regular Moco horn but when I hooked both up to a battery to see if they worked the Harley horn sounded anemic and the pig horn was LAF . . .

No, there's nothing skydive related on Nina. I always felt doing that sort of stuff is a fun jumper thing. When skydiving is your job who wants to be reminded of work when you're off doing something else? Someone once made me a very beautiful quilt covered in F-111 (really nice with different colors and canopy logos on it) but damn if I ever slept under it.

The only jump related thing I might consider for Nina is if I eventually switch her over to a jockey shift I have an old Blast Handle that would make a really good shifter knob. But that's only because they're such good handles.

I've been studying up on the carburetor I have on order. This is going to be another jump in technology from my last Harley. On that bike I had a Zenith Bendix carb with a butterfly valve in its throat. The new one is a Mikuni 42mm Smoothbore. Instead of a butterfly valve it uses a "slide" valve. So as you open the throttle the slide raises up into the carb body and when wide open it completely disappears. I guess they added some other way to create the turbulence needed for good fuel/air atomization but I haven't figured out how they did that yet. It also has a nice clean round air cleaner body that should look pretty good. It's also a low profile carb so the air cleaner won't stick out too far and hit my right leg.

NickD :)

I'm working on drawing up the wiring schematic right now. And I'll start on the actual wiring when Nina's battery, ignition, coil, and voltage regulator arrives in about a week and I get them mounted up.

There's a couple of ways to go with the overall wiring. You can purchase a pre-made wiring harness for bike builds like Nina but they run about $200. Another way is doing it from scratch. And that's what I'm going to do.

I'll need to buy a couple of modules I can't make myself. One for the turn signals (the unit that make them self canceling) and also a load equalizer module for the LED bulbs. LEDs draw so little current the flasher (car flashers work here) thinks the bulb is absent or burned out so just like in your car when that happens it just clicks real fast. The load equalizer fixes that.

I'll also need a 30 amp main circuit breaker (to protect the battery from the bike and the bike from the battery) and a 30 amp relay (so the smaller load rated ignition switch and handlebar mounted kill and start buttons can handle the high amp loads.) Then some fuses, heat shrink tubing, and of course the wire itself. My current soldering iron is the cheap "always on" type so I'll invest in a good gun too.

Below is the wiring scheme I'm working on. (I haven't added the grounds for the turn sigs yet.) Once I get it completely sussed out I'll take a profile photograph of Nina and then using photoshop I'll overlay the wires on the frame and to the various components to figure out the most direct and logical way to make the wire runs.

Then comes the smoke test! Even if you do continuity checks on everything as you go along, there will come a moment when it's all done. And there's nothing left to do except take a deep breath and hit the starter switch hoping to hell you don't fry something spendy.

I figured the schematic would be in pencil on the back of a bar napkin.:P

most of mine have been...But then My arms don't require wires,(turn signals) and my starter only requires my leg!:D

Stock 6 volt system, kick only, 3 brush generator! (I skip the relay/regulator, runs fine without it) I use a toggle switch in place of it!

I wouldn't be putting on the turn sigs if I didn't need to for registering a "special construction" bike. Nina will be undergoing a light inspection and they need to be on there. You guys with "store bought machines" ;) don't get these inspections. But they're coming off as soon as Nina gets her license plate . . .

I wouldn't be putting on the turn sigs if I didn't need to for registering a "special construction" bike. Nina will be undergoing a light inspection and they need to be on there. You guys with "store bought machines" ;) don't get these inspections. But they're coming off as soon as Nina gets her license plate . . .

I don't know if the laws have changed, but I got a few fix-it tickets for not having them on the Super Glide. If it was factory installed you had to have 'em...at least back then.;)

I didn't get them when I bought the bike so a scavenged a set from a dirt bike. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So only fair weather riding in bright sunny conditions and no night runs :D

Poof:P:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So only fair weather riding in bright sunny conditions and no night runs :D

Poof:P:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

as far as the fair weather goes....

HE'S IN CALIFORNIA!!!:P:ph34r:
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Spence called me today and said my bike is painted!!!:)now I just have to find time to go get it! [:/]
cant wait to see it....and get it back together if i remember how it goes lol

LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Spence called me today and said my bike is painted!!!:)now I just have to find time to go get it! [:/]
cant wait to see it....and get it back together if i remember how it goes lol

from what I have read , I am sure there are a fist full of riders here that can help if ya forget! ;) If not try us out at nedthetoothpick,com biker bar alley...B|

LisaH came by yesterday so I could fix her car and in the midst of that UPS started dropping off Nina's latest parts I'd ordered. I wanted badly to rip into the boxes but I was good boy and finished fixing her car first . . . ;)

Today I started fabbing up the voltage regulator and coil mounts.

I also picked up a pretty small battery that physically fits the space I have. It's an AGM type battery. I wasn't familiar with them (pretty new technology) but it looks like it might do the trick. AGMs were developed for the military and it's a deep cycle maintenance free battery but the electrolyte is held inside of glass matting instead of floating free like in a normal flooded battery. It can sustain several gunshots and keep on powering as it's totally leak proof. (Might help me escape a tough situation some night in the hood!)

Nina's Mikuni carb, programmable ignition, and several other items came too. Her pipes haven't but they are on the way. I'm going to be a busy kid for the next few days!