Cacophony

What is your lowest?

Got out at about 1900ish with an F111 chute many years back, and from 2K or so plenty of times back then as well.

Trying to think since my ZP days I'm betting not lower than 2500 ft., and that hasn't been recently, the rare "hop and pop" isn't really exactly that since they pass at 4.5-5.5K, I have done several 2 ways from that altitude.

I'd prefer at least 3K these days minimum for a hop and pop since I like to open 2.5 or so now, I like to make my Spectre open a little slow and comfy.

Edited to add: The almost 1900ish exit was on a demo when we were next to a huge major airport and for some reason could not get clearance to go any higher.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2738812#2738812

You dug this up after SIX years?! :ph34r:

Kinda neat to see the answers NOW...B|

Yeah it's interesting. :)
I watched from the ground as my husband got out at 800' and I'd estimate 600'. I cannot imagine what that had to look like standing in the door. :| He was on a round in the army, of course.

Lowest for me was 2900'.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Wow, I'm guessing a day of team stacks from 3000 feet would scare most people.

You can always tell who was raised at a "turbine" dz and didn't have the chance to do much Cessna jumping. Lowest was 1800 feet. Regularly jump at 2.5 or 3 if the clouds are preventing any other climb. Should take you 12 seconds to get around terminal, and that only covers 1400 ish feet.

:PB|

(edit: not that I am saying you should wait till terminal, just saying that because you exit low, does not mean you don't have time. ie the greeny posts):|

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2738812#2738812

You dug this up after SIX years?! :ph34r:

Kinda neat to see the answers NOW...B|

This thread is populated by AFF pussies:|

AFF person .... pull when the people on the ground look like ants.

real Skydiver :- pull when the ants look like people :D:D:D:D

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I have to grin because I thought the same thing, albeit with a less aggressive mental tone.

I remember my S/L progression and how scared I was every time I started jumping from a HIGHER altitude. I knew it made no sense, but I would always gulp and think "wow, we're waaaaay up here!"

Now, I watch the AFF candidates shiver and shake at the door as they contemplate exiting at 3,500 (or even on the 5,500 jump).

At my first DZ we would hop and pop from 2,000 all day long. On cloudy days, that might be all you got.

I must say, it was definitely an old-school DZ: in the late 90s I would say it was a 50/50 split of F111 and Zero P canopies. Only a few people flew canopies that "opened slow" like Stilettos or Batwings (:o). So with our fast-opening F111 canopies we could hop/pop from 2000 and reasonably expect an open canopy just a couple hundred feet later. Nowadays, jumping my current canopy (Pilot 168) I don't think I'd PLAN the same thing, but if I had to I wouldn't sweat much doing it. Anything much below that, I'm going for silver. Even though I'm not a rigger anymore, the only people who pack my reserve are people I honestly trust more than me to pack my reserve.

Lowest exit: let's just say it was one of those hop/pops from a piston aircraft where I hollered "Cut!" and the salty-and-savvy pilot literally INCREASED throttle to give us more relative wind to get the nylon in the breeze!

Elvisio "DZ limbo contests never end well" Rodriguez

P.S. Ain't we just digging up all the old threads today?

EDIT: leaving "n't" off a word really changes the meaning of the sentence...

What is the lowest hop 'n pop that you would voluntarily do? I have done one from 2,5 and that was pretty freaky. Next thing I new I was setting up my landing approach. I don't think I would go any lower than 2, unless I had too. But then again, if the pilot says get out at 1,000, I'm gone. Just curious.

Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

A few times I have exited an airplane at night, for fun, well below 300'.(yeah, three hundred)

AFF person .... pull when the people on the ground look like ants.

real Skydiver :- pull when the ants look like people :D:D:D:D

Then get your ass chewed for being a dirty low puller...

I pitched at 2300', look at the video! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Not at Calvin19 I just like to give him crap because he didnt visit me. 97 ft. But I designed a system that woRked at 15 ft. One must take into account the length of the lines snd leg stretch. Speed is essential for this type of deployment.maybe check out discoverychan with peter gambs. Ok, I win. maybe it is there.
Take care,
space

I did a 2 way with John Eagle once from 2K and we turned a few points. That guy can move.B|

Demo in Mexico from 1.8K over the crowd out of a 172. And got the flag out and flying by 1K.

Watched a guy take a BASE rig (no slider) out of a 182 from 200ft. That was a great opening to watch, CRACK! That was in Oz, so don't be call'n the man on us.:D

The lowest I'd exit ... 1000ft ... if the plane is on fire :)

I would make that decision based on how bad the fire was. Magnesium spar with an incompetent pilot I would be getting out at any alitude I could get. All the way in. Parachutes work on airspeed, not altitude.

What is the lowest hop 'n pop that you would voluntarily do? I have done one from 2,5 and that was pretty freaky. Next thing I new I was setting up my landing approach. I don't think I would go any lower than 2, unless I had too. But then again, if the pilot says get out at 1,000, I'm gone. Just curious.

Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

I ask for 2050' when jumping my accuracy setup so I can claim compliance with the BSR mandated 2000' pack opening altitude.

With a careful packjob I wouldn't mind taking the same setup out at 1000'.

but maybe at 1800, have the pilot chute in my hand already

No!!.

Bad idea.

You'll have a bridle cord flapping around which could cause problems, the worst being an open backpack and a bag lifting off.....potential horseshoe, big trouble....

You do not need to rush, concentrate on a stable exit an proper deployment of the pilotchute as you would on any normal jump.

Edit: Beaten to it, but still the thing not to do...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....