theonlyski

Where to find airplanes

for sale?

Thinking about picking up a late 70's-ish 172, where would one go to find decent deals? Been looking around controller, trade a plane, aso.

What do you look for when you pick up a personal plane? Trying to find something that's hopefully IFR (future expansion on my flying abilities), mid-timed, and possibly a 430w or something like that. What would you expect that to run for?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Where to find airplanes

At airports?

I looked outside and didn't see any on my street or in my neighborhood, so I'm going to stick with airports.

Also at airports are FBOs. In those FBOs are copies of Trade-a-plane...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Where to find airplanes

At airports?

I looked outside and didn't see any on my street or in my neighborhood, so I'm going to stick with airports.

Yes, I've asked at my FBO, and been thru the trade a plane's. Was looking for more online sources. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Where to find airplanes

At airports?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=37&subAreaID=&query=cessna&catAbb=sss

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=2&subAreaID=&query=cessna&catAbb=sss

peanut starts flapping arms wildly

I'M A PLANE,,,,, I'M A PLANEEE I'M A PLANEEEE

Chuckles,,,, come on admit it.... some of you said,, "Peanut has finally lost it"
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

for sale?

Thinking about picking up a late 70's-ish 172, where would one go to find decent deals? Been looking around controller, trade a plane, aso.

What do you look for when you pick up a personal plane? Trying to find something that's hopefully IFR (future expansion on my flying abilities), mid-timed, and possibly a 430w or something like that. What would you expect that to run for?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=davis+mothan+airplane+graveyard&view=detail&mid=CB130FEE7493D5FBC5B4CB130FEE7493D5FBC5B4&first=0&FORM=LKVR2
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Thanks John. I feel the warm and fuzzy.

Hey, BTW,,, You're getting old. Are you senile yet? I heard senile is the place to be. Like an acid trip with no side effects.
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

http://www.controller.com/default.aspx is probably your best bet.

When you say "what to look for"... what do you mean? As long as you have a mechanic do a pre-buy inspection you should be ok.

Talking to the sales guy at my FBO (who really only sells Cirus aircraft) he's given me some pointers, one being not all pre-buy inspections are the same, as there is no standard for them.

I know here in FL corrosion is a big deal, but there are other things:

How much TTAF is too much? I'm looking at 30+ year old planes, so I expect they have been in the air for a while, but where do you draw the line?

I know there are a bunch of problems with the engines in mid 70's Cessnas, and there were 3 major AD's that came out of it, if an engine has been complied with these, is it good now, or is it still something to watch out for?

You need a good pre-buy inspection, to include researching ADs, going over the logs (all of them, not the just the most recent page), and talking with the A&P who did the most recent annual. On that note, look for a plane that's in-annual, as that means it's still flying, any of the ads that offer a 'fresh annual at the time of sale', is just a nice way of saying that the plane is out of annual, and has been sitting.

Look for a privately owned plane with no history of being a school-aircraft. School planes are typically higher time and are not always flown with CFI in the right seat, sometimes it's just one guy with 42 hours at the controls.

Plan on spedning a couple thousand bucks on inspections, between the cost of inspections and getting a good A&P to where ever the plane happens to be. Look up the cost of soem basic repairs to a 172, and you'll see that this is money well spent, and whatever you do, do not go against the reccomendatrion of the inspector. They have no money or interest in the plane other than doing the inspection, so in addition to their experitse, they have an objective viewpoint. Also, don't forget the cost of getting the plane home once you buy it.

Last, remember that paint and interior are things they make airplanes look fancy, but they're also the least important. Look for the best engine and airframe you can find, because that will get you flying, all the other stuff can be updated in time as money allows.

We used to look around the GA parking area when we were stopped at an FBO. Find the hidden gems, the planes that look like they have been sitting for a while (flat tires and such). Contact the owners by looking up the registration number and offering them a reasonable, low amount. Some are just too lazy to try and sell it and will take an offer that comes along.

You will make a lot of offers this way but eventually someone will bite. We have purchased several this way, and have yet to get burned. You will most likely have to dump money into it to get it to a state you would enjoy flying it, so keep that in mind during the offer. $10k for a basic paint / interior for a small plane, etc.

Without fail, they will be out of annual, so having an A&P friend or contact in the area where the plane is will help. Also, become familiar with applying for a ferry permit from the local FSDO to fly it to your home base.

Besides some of the sites mentioned, are you an AOPA member? Exceptional resource. From aircraft valuation to title search help..etc..

Be aware, there are plenty of scammers out there in the plane selling arena.:o

Just joined yesterday, had to get insurance for the rentals at the FBO.:S