JohnnyMarko

Who is more athletic?

So being a Blackhawks fan living/working/learning in the heart of Cardinals nation, I get shit all the time. I got into with a co-worker today about who is more athletic - hockey players or baseball players. Not sure why the fuck they are so stupid, but seriously? How can you possibly think baseball players are more physically fit than hockey players? Or am I insane?

Support your stance....

I'm not a hockey fan, but I do have to give the sport its props. Players are constantly in motion during games and it demands a high level of stamina. Without it you get gassed. Plus you have to withstand the pounding and collisions, either with walls, cross checks by the other teams or falls on the ice, which has no give. B| AND you better know how to chuck your gloves and fight. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'll take a hokey player over a baseball player in a fight to the death any day. B|

Yep, plus the hockey sticks are longer than baseball bats. And they can swing either end with both hands easily. Hard to do that with a bat. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Players are constantly in motion during games

No, they're not. A player who gets lots of ice may get 25 minutes of play. Most get less.

I'm not saying they are not in great shape, but they dont have the stamina soccer players have. They need to have strong burst capability, and then they come off the ice for 2-3 minutes.
Remster

No, they're not. A player who gets lots of ice may get 25 minutes of play. Most get less.

I'm not saying they are not in great shape, but they dont have the stamina soccer players have. They need to have strong burst capability, and then they come off the ice for 2-3 minutes.

Agreed Remi. Soccer players definitely rank up there, possibly above hockey players. Still, hockey players are still above baseball players.

You're right, I forgot about those frequent line changes.

Soccer players rarely substitute from what I've seen, though that was at the World Cup level. They probably run at least 6 to 8 miles worth in a full game.

Are we talking fit? or athletic? Some of the most fit athletes are of course those who participate in the Iron Man events followed by motocross racers and a few other sports like rugby players who needs to run around like soccer players but hit just as hard as football players. But athleticism is another story. Basketball players often show great athleticism as do hockey players. But not all hockey players are the same. Mario Lemieux was one of the great hockey athletes the way he could undress people, but Wayne Gretzky played a different game. Gretzky was able to see the game a step ahead of everyone else and was always putting himself not where the puck was, but rather where the puck was about to be. However with all that said, they say hitting a pitch from a major league baseball pitcher is one of the hardest things to do in sports. I am not sure if this is true or not since I have never been in a batters box facing a major league pitcher. But that is what they say.

When I was younger I played hockey at the college caliber level. One summer (1989) myself and some friends were playing some full contact hockey every Friday afternoon to stay sharpe. We had a few guys who played pro hockey in Europe playing with us, but we also had one NHLer play with us that summer (Normand Lacombe). He was nothing more than an average 3rd liner in the NHL (definitely not an NHL superstar). Some of the guys who played in Europe were faster skaters than the NHLer, but the NHLer was the complete package of speed, size and the most accurate shot on the ice. He was just so much better than everyone else, hence the reason why he had a job in the NHL while the rest of us were just pretenders (including the guys who had jobs playing hockey in Europe). :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You are over-thinking this;
Just date which ever type of player you prefer.:P:ph34r:

In the interest of having a balanced and informed conversation, here are some fit cyclists.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/products/2012-cycle-passion-calendar.html#gallery
http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/products/2011-cycle-passion-calendar.html#images
Remster

Having attempted to play both, hockey, hands down.

:D:D
Never having played hockey, I'd still go with hockey.
One reason I played baseball is that I only had to run a maximum of 360 ft at any one time.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Baseball is for the guys who can't play a real sport. I mean, they get so many chances just to hit the ball, and then half the time they only have to do a little jog over to a base. What kind of fitness do you need to do that?

Can you tell I'm not a baseball fan? :ph34r: Now, swimmers on the other hand, they're yummy with those broad shoulders, trim waists and lean, bulging muscles. :$

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon