JohnnyMarko

Who is more athletic?

I grew up playing baseball starting around age 5. Once I hit about 10 years old, I started playing hockey. After my second year of hockey, I lost interest in baseball... too much standing around. I've played hockey consistently from age 10 through age 23 until I moved to Florida, followed by Japan, followed by North Carolina. Last January, I got a chance to go play a pick-up game when I was up in Michigan and HOLY CRAP! I was out of shape BAD. I remember when I was playing in a men's league in California at age 22, I could sprint non-stop for about 4-5 minutes on the ice. Here I was after just a few years and I was gasping for breath after 30 seconds.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Players are constantly in motion during games

No, they're not. A player who gets lots of ice may get 25 minutes of play. Most get less.

I'm not saying they are not in great shape, but they dont have the stamina soccer players have. They need to have strong burst capability, and then they come off the ice for 2-3 minutes.

Hockey players typically sprint for 45 seconds to a minute and a half, then take a 2 minute break. From what I've watched from soccer, they don't come off the field as often and they do require sprint burst capability, but much of their movement is spent walking or jogging lightly when another teammate has the ball. There's a lot more standing around than what you see on tv because the camera's almost always pointed at the person with the ball.

They share very similar aspects, in which it's sprint your ass off and then take a little break. The location they take the break is what varies.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Baseball is for the guys who can't play a real sport. I mean, they get so many chances just to hit the ball, and then half the time they only have to do a little jog over to a base. What kind of fitness do you need to do that?

Baseball vs Football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Baseball players are a lot more athletic than most people give them credit for. Games last about 3 hours and are played just about every day for a 6 month season. Running, sliding, hitting, and throwing all take their toll on the body. All that being said, there are some baseball players that are not in peak physical condition and I think that tips the scale (no pun intended) towards hockey.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Baseball players are a lot more athletic than most people give them credit for. Games last about 3 hours and are played just about every day for a 6 month season. Running, sliding, hitting, and throwing all take their toll on the body. All that being said, there are some baseball players that are not in peak physical condition and I think that tips the scale (no pun intended) towards hockey.

In most sports, the star player is the one that can run the fastest, control the puck/ball/etc. the best, and puts lots of points on the board.

In baseball, it's the fat kid who can hit the ball over the fence, such as David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox.

Hockey.
No out of bounds.
A speeding rubber bullet.
Razors on their feet.
No time outs.
Smashed teeth and broken bones don't put you on the IR list.
Get 20 stitches and make it out for the second period.
Fighting.
Speed.
Finess.
Only 1time out.
B|

Those of you who know me may find humor in it, but I was a goaltender through high school, after which I moved to forward.

Hockey.
No out of bounds.
A speeding rubber bullet.
Razors on their feet.
No time outs.
Smashed teeth and broken bones don't put you on the IR list.
Get 20 stitches and make it out for the second period.
Fighting.
Speed.
Finess.
Only 1time out.
B|

Plus, I have attempted to bare-hand catch a hit baseball and a puck sent into the air. Trust me, the puck hurts far worse. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I want to change my vote from NHL to boobs.:|

That's why I voted dick first. ;) & I'll just post here NHL over baseball. Personally, I hate baseball & think it's horribly boring. But as for fitness, look at their star players? Babe Ruth was a tubby.

o and I totally agree with hokierower that rowers are the hottest athletes. I LOVED being a rower. hot muscle-y men walking around half naked....mmmm;):)

That's why I voted dick first. ;) & I'll just post here NHL over baseball. Personally, I hate baseball & think it's horribly boring. But as for fitness, look at their star players? Babe Ruth was a tubby.

o and I totally agree with hokierower that rowers are the hottest athletes. I LOVED being a rower. hot muscle-y men walking around half naked....mmmm;):)

Just wait till you see me around the DZ:D:D:D

Just wait till you see me around the DZ:D:D:D

I said muscle-y :ph34r::D:ph34r::D:P

jk you know I love ya ;)

How can you possibly think baseball players are more physically fit than hockey players?

Generally I'd agree with you but one comment--baseball players are, in theory, supposed to be able to slide--and on a surface that isn't especially designed for sliding.

I'm not sure whether all baseball players really CAN slide, but doing it well certainly seems like a difficult athetic skill with no equivalent in hockey. Baseball players slide on the hard dirt; hockey players have a zamboni machine to smooth over even the slightest imperfections in the ice every 20 minutes.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

THANK YOU!!! Another faithful to the best sport on the planet. Nothing better than a top tier NCAA lightweight women's team getting ready for a race. B|

I miss rowing...hopefully one of these days I can get back on the water.

Hockey.
No time outs.
Only 1time out.
B|

Dude, what?

He is actually dead wrong with the time outs ... at least at the NHL level. For those who have gone to a live NHL game they will see tons and tons of time outs every period. For those who only get to watch the games on TV all they see is TV commercials. Hmmm ... TV commercials ... time outs ... get it? The NHL has tons of time outs every time they stop the game to allow the TV sponsors to tell their audience they need to buy stuff. It's no different than football, baseball and basketball.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hockey.
No time outs.
Only 1time out.
B|

Dude, what?

Multiple "time Outs".

Your team tired? Start a fight so they can rest for a while. YOU get to rest in the penalty box.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

THANK YOU!!! Another faithful to the best sport on the planet. Nothing better than a top tier NCAA lightweight women's team getting ready for a race. B|

I miss rowing...hopefully one of these days I can get back on the water.

The fact that we're both drooling over the opposite sex of the same sport proves our point! ;)

Rowers=sexiest athletes out there.

.... wait what sports were we supposed to be talking about again? :D