cocheese

Coriolis effect question for nerds

On a no-wind day. A person does a high pull at the equator from 10,000 feet and is flying North. It takes him 10 minutes to land. How many feet of correction are required to maintain the staight line North?

Or

Using the same numbers...2 jumpers do a high pull and one flys East and one flys West. How much further does the West flyer go?

This is math Olav will need to spot a space jump so don't tell me to put the pipe down. :P

No. The new laws prohibit littering. We must use even more resources to find the answer before exit.:D

Also there is no wind. Due to cut backs, there will be no wind for rest of the month.:P

But yes I think a WDI would work if you could get it to match the 10 minute descent rate.

No. The new laws prohibit littering. We must use even more resources to find the answer before exit.:D

OK, then we will just throw a student out first.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

On a no-wind day. A person does a high pull at the equator from 10,000 feet and is flying North. It takes him 10 minutes to land. How many feet of correction are required to maintain the staight line North?

Or

Using the same numbers...2 jumpers do a high pull and one flys East and one flys West. How much further does the West flyer go?

This is math Olav will need to spot a space jump so don't tell me to put the pipe down. :P

1) No correction needed. The skydiver would not be affected by the Coriolis effect on a no-wind day. The skydiver would have no apparent cross-track over the surface of the Earth because he'd simply be moving with the air which is moving with the rotation of the planet.

2) Both jumpers go the same distance east and west.

3) Put the crackpipe down.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Or

1) No correction needed. The skydiver would not be affected by the Coriolis effect on a no-wind day. The skydiver would have no apparent cross-track over the surface of the Earth because he'd simply be moving with the air which is moving with the rotation of the planet.

2) Both jumpers go the same distance east and west.

3) Put the crackpipe down.

I'm with him. Obviously if jumpers going North/South or East/West they will end up with different distances...but otherwise, you're as high as I am

Or

No correction is required. The distances that will be covered are inconsequentially small. My back of napkin gave me something like 3.4 inches for the line going north (assuming a canopy flying at 20mph). That's probably a lot less than the noise of drag generated by the flapping of fabric on clothing and parachute or whether or not you're wearing lace up or velcro shoes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm with him. Obviously if jumpers going North/South or East/West they will end up with different distances...but otherwise, you're as high as I am

On a no-wind day?

If the air's not moving in relation to the Earth then it makes no difference, under canopy or in a balloon, which way the person flies.

Trust me, I got my ass handed to me a few months ago on this one!

So let us put it another way, when a long range shooter shoots at a target, let us say at 2000 yards, what are the compensations he has to make to hit the target?
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

So let us put it another way, when a long range shooter shoots at a target, let us say at 2000 yards, what are the compensations he has to make to hit the target?

depends entirely on the time of flight and true heading of the shot

...and latitude. ;)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Apples to oranges.

A ballistic object like a bullet is going to require that the shooter accounts for gravity, wind speed, wind direction, and coriolis effect, as well, as atmospheric conditions that affect the bullet's drag like atmospheric pressure and humidity. The difference is that a bullet is not supported within the air like an airplane or a balloon is; it's simply a suborbital object that is being partially acted upon by the atmosphere, but not borne by it.

An airplane, parachute, or balloon will only be inherently affected by the Coriolis effect to the extent that the air itself is affected by the Coriolis effect, which requires tha air be moving across the Earth's surface to a higher or lower latitude, which can't happen on a no-wind day!

...and latitude. ;)

indeedB|
...AND altitude as well as inclination, as well as decelerations from air of the projectile. But by far these are the lesser factors of all mentioned thus far.

So if a parachute is pointed straight north on opening no corrections will have to be made considering the wing flies true as the air is actually moving with the rotation of the earths rotation to remain "still"
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

So if a parachute is pointed straight north on opening no corrections will have to be made considering the wing flies true as the air is actually moving with the rotation of the earths rotation to remain "still"

Would a hot air balloon in still air at the equator have to make any corrections to stay in the same place in the air columm as the Earth rotates? No. It will simply stay over the same spot over the ground.

The Coriolis effect while moving north or south simply won't be strong enough to have an effect on a slow moving parachute or blimp.

Just can't throw you off can I :)

As a pilot I've never made an adjustment while flying for the Coriolis effect, but then again I've never flown an F-14 at 1,000 knots from the equator to the north pole in still air. [:/]