Squeak

Jeb Corliss Landed his wingsuit

Well sort of, he clipped the rock on a WS Base
He is busted up pretty bad but apparently will be fine.

Hope he heals well, but gotta say, it does not come as a surprise.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

More like a "touch-and-go".

That was the best comment so far in the Incidents thread, but it was deleted.

Oops! sorry for the inadvertent copycat post. (That didn't belong in the Incidents forum anyway. I also hope for his speedy recovery.)

In Reply To
Hard to say. Black wingsuit,black canopy, crappy video. Can't tell how hard the impact was. I'm basing my guess on the audio on scene but I guess his condition could have changed during landing.

I don't get his affinity for black.
If you are making midnight jumps and want to avoid attention, then sure.
But when you are making public, planned, high-profile daylight jumps with the cameras rolling, then why not go with some photogenic colors?

You know, the bounce-and-blend of the 80s would probably be just about right...

(Had to take this from Incidents so I didn't upset the duck)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yup. Even whuffo work friends have been sending me that video for the past bit. That's why it won't be too long before this story hits the big time and could possibly significantly hurt the BASE movement in the public eye.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I bet there maybe 1 or 2 people on this planet that don't die in that situation. Good Job not dying Jeb.

Second that.

[Graham Chapman voice] "Now go and change your (Under) Armor." [/Graham Chapman voice]

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

That jump could be the one that saves his life but I doubt it. He will have "learned" so much that he can now do it safely. Still bound to be a famous grease spot.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Yup. Even whuffo work friends have been sending me that video for the past bit. That's why it won't be too long before this story hits the big time and could possibly significantly hurt the BASE movement in the public eye.

Lol. Its so true.. that video and whuffos are magnets.

Shc

and could possibly significantly hurt the BASE movement in the public eye.

Don't think it would be a problem. BASE jumpers are already seen as death defying people living on the edge. Someone getting hurt out in the countryside is no big deal. It's like if you hear that a climber died in the Himalayas -- nobody is surprised. If a jumper were downtown hucking off a building, and fell and killed some 'civilians' below, THAT would hurt opinion.

That jump could be the one that saves his life but I doubt it. He will have "learned" so much that he can now do it safely. Still bound to be a famous grease spot.

Exactly.

and more power to him for trying too.
Someone stepping off the edge is the only reason we can now skydive.

Our sport is much the richer BECAUSE of the people who push the envelope, not in spite of them.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I wonder if any of your whuffo friends say the same thing about you.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

It definitely isn't a good thing for BASE in South Africa.

A few of the locals I know are a bit pissed off about it. Apparently they requested that he don't dayblaze it with cameras rolling and he did anyway, and to make it worse after the incident it's all over every news station and Government members have been interviewed about it and stated they will be pressing charges.

The local guys have been working hard with the SANP to try and work at getting jumping legal in some of the parks over the past couple of years. This will no doubt not help the cause at all.