Squeak

Jeb Corliss Landed his wingsuit

That jump could be the one that saves his life but I doubt it. He will have "learned" so much that he can now do it safely. Still bound to be a famous grease spot.

Exactly.

and more power to him for trying too.
Someone stepping off the edge is the only reason we can now skydive.

Our sport is much the richer BECAUSE of the people who push the envelope, not in spite of them.

Our sport would be much richer with guys like Dwain Weston still alive.

That jump could be the one that saves his life but I doubt it. He will have "learned" so much that he can now do it safely. Still bound to be a famous grease spot.

I wonder if any of your whuffo friends say the same thing about you.

Not all risks are equal and shooting for 50cm above a ledge with camera crew isn't just another day at the office.

Anyone convincing themselves they're good enough to take that risk because they have taken a lot of similar risks before has a PhD in bullshit. They're "skilling" themselves into an early grave. It doesn't matter how many minutes they spend explaining the strike on HBO.

We can never be sure how much of a role ground effect played saving Corliss from smearing in his grinding the crack video but it caught up with him here.

Jebb didn't learn the lesson from Dwain Weston's death, he probably won't learn from this. If he doesn't then it's only a matter of time (if he's still able bodied enough). He doesn't need hero worship, he needs an intervention.

Our sport is much the richer BECAUSE of the people who push the envelope, not in spite of them.

Our sport would be much richer with guys like Dwain Weston still alive.

Dwain would not have been Dwain if he wasn't pushing the limit.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just a reminder for those who are cracking jokes at Jeb's expense; he IS a member of our forum and is one of us. Please make sure your "jokes" don't cross the line into personal attacks so you won't get banned.

I'm sure Jeb has a thick skin and has heard it all, but in my opinion, I think it's rude to kick a man when he's down. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Anyone convincing themselves they're good enough to take that risk because they have taken a lot of similar risks before has a PhD in bullshit. They're "skilling" themselves into an early grave. It doesn't matter how many minutes they spend explaining the strike on HBO.

In the case of proximity flying, and getting 'close' this is absolutely true.

Without the experience of doing so, nobody really has any idea about the 'accuracy' of a wingsuit. When I say accuracy, I mean to within a foot or so, because those are tolerences that things are going to. Maybe not in extended flight, but the 'balloon' stunts are cutting it to the point where a variation of a foot or so will make all the difference. Every swooper out there has 'lost lift' during a surf and had to add input and tuck their legs up to avoid hitting the ground.

The other 'unknown' is the condition of the air surrounding these objects. Every one will be different, and different days will cause different conditions on the same object. Are there pockets of 'dead' air, or turbulent areas surrounding these objects? What's the effect of these phenomenon on wingsuits?

All of the above are considerations when getting within a couple feet of something at those speeds. Consider airshow pilots, who have far more control and accumulated experience/knowledge, and what they do close to the ground. When do the trick where they cut a ribbon with the vertical stabilizer, they remain 10 to 15 up (the height of the poles). Any manuvers they do closer to the ground than that they fly upright, with the landing gear in place in case they should 'lose lift'.

Swooper might cut it a closer, coming within inches of the ground, but by the time they are flying at that height, they're descent rate is zero, and their forward speed is far less than a wingsuit, and certainly survivable. If your canopy 'drops' you on the ground mid-swoop at 40mph, all you have to do is slide across the (presumably) flat LZ you were swooping. A wingsuit in proximity flight will be going 2 or 3 times that speed, over less 'friendly' terrain.

At the end of the day, this is what Jeb wanted. In all of his interviews and TV appearances, he talks about living life to the fullest, and getting out there and doing things, and that's what he did. He's been at it long enough and kown enough jumpers who are no longer with us that he's fuly aware of what's just on the other side of the edge he's been living on.

Kudos to him for keeping his shit together and getting a canopy out. As someone else mentioned, not many guys could have pulled that off.

On a less serisous note, I'm willing to bet that the huge legwing on that suit wasn't doing him any favors with both of his legs being broken.

In addition to all the other stuff posted about air currents and ground effect, one other thig to consider is aiming for something just short of the ledge and making a last second adjustment to hit your target, as opposed to aiming past the ledge. I'm not sure how quick a wingsuit reacts to input or how close the ballons were to the edge but if you look at the "Grind" video I believe the ballons were far enough past the edge that a last second adjustment down would still allow a miss of the ledge.

All in all, too tight a stunt for my liking.

Too tight a stunt for like 99.9% of all skydivers in the world.

That said, I don't like what he's doing, as we get enough bad publicity as it is.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In addition to all the other stuff posted about air currents and ground effect

Just to be clear, I didn't mention ground effect, and don't believe it has any bearing on a wingsuit. I question the capabilty of a wingsuit to produce 'lift', and even if it could, they are not flying over flat, unborken ground, such as a runway.

We only know about ground effect because aircraft encounter during take off and landing, which is accomplished over (relatively) smooth and level ground. The consistancy of the ground maintains the consistancy of the ground effect. When you're talking about a brief pass over a specific point of a rocky, un-even slope, I'm just not sure the principal applies.

Also, what we do know about ground effect is that it's only present within a height of one wnigspan above the ground, and gets more pronounced the closer you get. The wingspan of a wingsuit is about 4ft, so anything higher than that is out of ground effect, and even anything in the 3 to 4 ft range is going to be a very slight occurance of ground effect (if any).

Another 'known' fact about ground effect is that it primary cause is the interruption of wingtip vorticies and the reduction in drag that allows. I'm just not sold on the idea that a wingsuit produces wingtip vortices to the extent that it induces drag to the suit, and that there would be a benefit to the reduction.

Overall, the 'design' of a wingsuiter is so far off from 'normal' aircraft that you can't always make an apples to apples comparison. The wing loading, wing shape, and sweep of the wings push things more towards that of a figher jet, which are not known for inherent stability, glide, or any sort of performance with an engine out (like a wingsuit).

I like most of what he does. In my opinion the Chinese hole fly-through was one of the greatest publicity for wingsuiting.

I agree...nothing but respect for the guy.

Yes he's a 'showman' but you don't get to THAT level of publicity for that length of time without having a few skill-sets that are well above your peers.

Jeb's done so many 'off the chain' things for so long that clearly he's not 'pushing his luck' so much as instead, pushing the envelope...and like all pioneers, he takes a lotta arrows for doing it.

That being said~ I dunno how the current B.A.S.E. / Wingsuit protocol works...Does Jeb owe :D for going in? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I like most of what he does. In my opinion the chinese hole flythrough was one of the greatest publicity for wingsuiting.

i think hes done a lot of good things for the wingsuit base community, hope he heals fast, and gets back to doing what he does best; flying through/near things most others cant :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I like most of what he does. In my opinion the Chinese hole fly-through was one of the greatest publicity for wingsuiting.

I agree...nothing but respect for the guy.

Yes he's a 'showman' but you don't get to THAT level of publicity for that length of time without having a few skill-sets that are well above your peers.

Jeb's done so many 'off the chain' things for so long that clearly he's not 'pushing his luck' so much as instead, pushing the envelope...and like all pioneers, he takes a lotta arrows for doing it.

That being said~ I dunno how the current B.A.S.E. / Wingsuit protocol works...Does Jeb owe :D for going in? :ph34r:

I agree with you 100%

I have yet to meet a skydiver or base jumper who does not love watching there own and or even others peoples videos.

I sense a lot of jealousy in the posts looking to kick a man when he is down. I know EVERY single skydiver and base jumper I know would love to be in his place. Jumping in new places getting to talk about it to new people, just having jumping be your job. Who doesn't like that?. I think people are just mad that he is better at it then them.

Heal fast Jeb.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

So how bad is he broken?

Flesh wound...;)

He's lucky he didn't whack his cock! That rock was almost at the wrong place at the wrong time!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

So how bad is he broken?

Apparently less than you broke yourself under a perfectly good canopy. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So how bad is he broken?

Apparently less than you broke yourself under a perfectly good canopy. ;)

Yeah it was so good the lines were cut the day after it got me and every time I ask for a piece of the canopy that got apiece of me I'm told that though the canopy is no longer in service I'm not allowed to look at it or have piece of it...go figure right?

Hope he recovers being hurt sucks! But I'm sure he is getting the best possible treatment he can get and that hopefully he will make a return to the sky sooner rather than later.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Too tight a stunt for like 99.9% of all skydivers in the world.

That said, I don't like what he's doing, as we get enough bad publicity as it is.

You can love, hate or have no opinion at all towards Jeb and his publicity jumps. I think what he does is a tremendous boost to skydiving.
Wingsuiting and now BASE proximity wingsuiting are the skysurfing of today. Remember the X-game skysurfing? Evry Whuffo in the world asked jumpers if they jumped a skyboard for years in the 90's.
What do all Whuffos ask us now? "Ever jump one of them there squirrel suits"?
Most Whuffos have seen Jeb on TV interviews. I think I can count on one hand the number of jumpers that have been interviewed on a show like "Conan" that was for doing cool shit, not almost going in.
Jeb is a publicity hound. sure. But he is great at it. So was Patrick DG, before he went in.
Remember "Point Break"? Skydivers robbing banks. Damn that pumped up the skydive biz. Was it a retarded script towards jumpers? Yup. So What?
I would rather have the likes of Jeb and Jet Man Yves Rossy getting good publicity in the mainstream media instead of some dipshit that nearly dies with a two out wrap make the "Today" show.
Now does Jeb owe the SA BASE community a huge apology? Did he burn a great site? Maybe. That's between him and the BASE guys and gals there.
Jeb inspires Whuffos to the DZ to make a jump. That's a good thing.
I'm glad he didn't go in.
I hope he slows down a bit.

PERFECT video.

In 720 HD, w/ perfect video, audio, and editing. Let's not even talk about the level of skill, planing, and flying! Never did I see him self-aggrandizing; he just does!

P.S.: His teeth are "british" yellow, but I am willing to overlook this :)

Exactly.

Absolutely agreed :)