Namowal

Staying cool on hot days at the DZ

Maybe I'm a wimp, but on a hot, humid day, when I'm in my jumpsuit and rig I get so overheated that I damn near need smelling salts. I tried one of those "Cool downz" cold wraps (on the ground, I didn't take it with me on the plane) but it didn't do much.
It's not the discomfort that bothers me as much as feeling worn out after relatively few jumps. Okay, I guess I am a wimp. [:/](On the positive side, the Scary Door is now my best buddy!)
Are there some tips and tricks I'm missing?
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Being young and used to it are the biggest tricks. I no longer think air conditioned packing areas are for wimps.

Get out of your jumpsuit as soon as you're done with a jump, then wait a few minutes before packing. Drink plenty of water, and make sure that you eat the occasional banana, or drink some diluted Gatorade. Full-strength Gatorade is way sweet and overkill.

Leave your zipper down on your jumpsuit until the plane is climbing and it's starting to cool off. If you have arm zippers, keep them unzipped too.

Keep your helmet off until you get into the plane. Stay in the shade for as much of the time as possible, and stay quiet as much of the time as possible.

After reading Twardo's post: Note, I'm in Texas :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Start and end your day early.

That has two advantages - you're jumping in the cool(er) part of the day, and in many areas (including your own) you're more likely to beat the "crazy wind" part of the day. I did team training at Perris a couple years back in the summer, and we'd start at 7 or 7:30, do 8 jumps, and be done by 2, just as the winds would start to get shifty and turbulent. I much preferred watching other people try to land in that while I was enjoying a cold one at the Bombshelter.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Get the suit off in between jumps.

Get a packer.

Jump more (its cooler up there!;))

And yes, stay hydrated and keep eating small amounts through the day, start early, and finish early. We did 8 jumps by 2pm both Sat and Sun this weekend.

Remster

I agree with the other posts, especially the part about getting a packer. One jump equals about four pack jobs, and to me that's a good trade off, especially on a hot and humid day.

The first thing I do after I drop my gear is to take my jumpsuit off. I used to wear cotton skydiving t-shirts, but now I wear the dry-fit type athletic shirts. Those materials really do make a difference in helping you stay cooler.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Maybe I'm a wimp, but on a hot, humid day, when I'm in my jumpsuit and rig I get so overheated that I damn near need smelling salts. I tried one of those "Cool downz" cold wraps (on the ground, I didn't take it with me on the plane) but it didn't do much.
It's not the discomfort that bothers me as much as feeling worn out after relatively few jumps. Okay, I guess I am a wimp. [:/](On the positive side, the Scary Door is now my best buddy!)
Are there some tips and tricks I'm missing?

Skydive naked. You'll be a lot cooler without a jump suit.

Put your weight belt in the freezer in between jumps.

Though, I would consider the ability of your buckles (if plastic) to handle that cycling (drop hazard if you wear it outside your suit).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Skydive naked. You'll be a lot cooler without a jump suit.

I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd get this reply. :D

Actually I've considered skipping the jumpsuit but this would mean

1. No grippers
2. Chance of shirt getting untucked and getting in the way of the pilot chute handle.

Thanks to all the suggestions so far. :D

The first thing I do after I drop my gear is to take my jumpsuit off. I used to wear cotton skydiving t-shirts, but now I wear the dry-fit type athletic shirts. Those materials really do make a difference in helping you stay cooler.

This. Those shirts are a lifesaver. All good advice but those shirts are the shit (FL is pretty awful right now - at least the weekends). Sitting by the door helps too - anywhere on the floor really if the exit order allows for it...

I think this is where I have to insert the obligatory "it was tough when I started jumping." :ph34r:

We really did use trees for shade and pack in the sun :D. In Texas. Of course, shorts were shorter in the 70's, shirts were tighter, and few jumpers were significantly overweight (it was great watching the scenery :)).

But then 3 jumps was a reasonably full day, and 5 jumps was quite a few.

As I said, I really don't think that air-conditioned packing can be over-rated

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

cracking jokes about dead people sounds so much more like SC than bonfire; do you really think the bonfire is missing enough boobies!?

:P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Being young and used to it are the biggest tricks. I no longer think air conditioned packing areas are for wimps.

I think you're on to something about being young. When I was in my twenties I could hike all over the place in hot, hot weather. I got sweaty, but it didn't wear me out. Fast forward a few decades and I'm melting like the wicked witch of the west.

I think you're on to something about being young. When I was in my twenties I could hike all over the place in hot, hot weather. I got sweaty, but it didn't wear me out. Fast forward a few decades and I'm melting like the wicked witch of the west.

Umm i have met you you are NOT in your 50s:P

and I am way older than you.
The way I deal is lots of liquid (non booze), I make a 2 litre bottle of Gatorade (my dilution) and I eat throughout the day. I also stay out of the direct sun as much a possible.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Do you live in the same climate as your DZ? If you work indoors at a desk and go from your house to your car to the office then you might want to make an effort to be out in the environment. You would be surprised at how quickly you can acclimate to the harshest environments even while doing a moderate amount of activity.
Stay hydrated. Diluted gatorade mentioned above is great. Coconut water is great. Plain old cool water too. Have a healthy breakfast and healthy snacks as you go like fruit. Tank tops and the modern sports tops and bottoms under your jumpsuit are the way to go also as mentioned.