nigel99

:( train accident

Tried to get into work early and my train has had an accident. Strongly suspect someone's jumped off the bridge onto the tracks. Whatever the driver sounds very stressed.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Strongly suspect someone's jumped off the bridge onto the tracks

Damn base jumpers interrupting traffic.

:( seems a kid either was playing on track or jumped.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Colleagues of mine happened to witness the result of someone falling under a train a while back - or more likely jumping, since the vast majority of such deaths seem to be suicides. Sounded very grim, anyway - body parts everywhere.

I guess it's a pretty efficient way of killing yourself, but horribly traumatic for everyone involved. I'm sure it's many train drivers' worst fear.

Colleagues of mine happened to witness the result of someone falling under a train a while back - or more likely jumping, since the vast majority of such deaths seem to be suicides. Sounded very grim, anyway - body parts everywhere.

I guess it's a pretty efficient way of killing yourself, but horribly traumatic for everyone involved. I'm sure it's many train drivers' worst fear.

Pretty certain that she jumped based on a news article. I must say that I have a huge amount of respect for the police, ambulance and rail staff. For all the bitching that goes on about our local rail. They were extremely professional. My heart bleeds for the driver you could hear that he was in severe shock.

I saw one in Washington DC years back.
Someone jumped from one of the walking bridges directly into an oncoming train.
It effected the Metro system for the entire day.
One of the most disgusting things I've ever witnessed.
Also THE single most selfish action a human can take.

So...you don't think suicide is a viable option to go out?

Well, the stupid fucker could have done it without involving anybody else, but nooooo... he had to do it in front of a fucking train and fuck up the city's transportation system. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, the stupid fucker could have done it without involving anybody else,

How?

Guns often don't work (see attachment). Jumping of bridges often doesn't work. Carbon monoxide often leads to brain damage which is worse than before the attempted suicide. Poisons often lead to a slow and painful death.

Relatively speaking a train might not be so bad.

but nooooo... he had to do it in front of a fucking train and fuck up the city's transportation system. :|

Some people can't afford the $5200 plus travel to Switzerland for certain painless exit from Dignitas. The rest of us will suffer from the side effects until the government accomodates them.

Some people can't afford the $5200 plus travel to Switzerland for certain painless exit from Dignitas.

we have another of these organisms, called EXIT. You don't get to ask for a cut before that... :D
And we also have our share of people jumping under the train.[:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Just do it without traumatizing someone like a train driver... who sees the suicide happen and is powerless to stop the train in time.. or the train warden, who (in the Netherlands at least) is obligated to verify that a person really has jumped (it can happen in the blink of an eye), or the firemen who have to collect the bodyparts.. [:/]

Suicide is a viable way to go, just not this kind of suicide.
Unfortunately, other people are usually not the first thing on a possible suicide's mind.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

How?

Guns often don't work (see attachment). Jumping of bridges often doesn't work. Carbon monoxide often leads to brain damage which is worse than before the attempted suicide. Poisons often lead to a slow and painful death.

Relatively speaking a train might not be so bad.

Not so bad for whom? I work for the largest railroad in the country as a Freight Conductor and Servicing Engineer. An average loaded coal train (137 cars and 3 locomotives) weighs about 39 million pounds, running at 40 Mph using every brake on every locomotive plus every brake on every car it takes about a mile to stop. Imagine if you were driving down a road, and a woman walking along the side of the road stepped in front of your car and stood there looking at you arms spread until you ran her over, imagine also that you couldn't swerve or even slow down even a single mile an hour and you had no option but to kill her. Might this just have an effect on you?

If you want to commit suicide that's your prerogative, but don't make me the unwilling instrument of your demise.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.