guineapiggie101

Too much mileage for a semi-new car??

Last Oct. I bought a 2012 Honda Civic brand new. It is one year later and I have 26K miles on it. Do you guys think I am putting too many miles on it?

Besides the usual city driving to and from work (60 miles round trip) each day, I also do a 4 hr (round trip) drive every weekend.

I have also taken the car on two long distance trips and there is a possibility I am driving it up to San Francisco again this weekend.

That's way better than 10 mile commutes. Change the oil properly, and it's good for 200K miles+

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It is one year later and I have 26K miles on it. Do you guys think I am putting too many miles on it?

Provided you stop for required maintenance as needed, you could literally drive that car all day, every day, for hundreds of thousands of miles. The car doesn't know if it drives 100 miles a week, or 100 miles a day, it just knows that it went 100 miles, and wears out accordingly.

That said, the Honda is a great choice for a high-mileage lifestyle.

The car is a tool. If you need to drive it that much, then drive it that much, and take care of it (as the other guys mentioned).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Last Oct. I bought a 2012 Honda Civic brand new. It is one year later and I have 26K miles on it. Do you guys think I am putting too many miles on it?

Besides the usual city driving to and from work (60 miles round trip) each day, I also do a 4 hr (round trip) drive every weekend.

I have also taken the car on two long distance trips and there is a possibility I am driving it up to San Francisco again this weekend.

I bought a new 2009 Toyota corolla 3 years ago. I now have 89,000 miles on it.

You drive how much you drive. Just keep a proper maintenance schedule
__

My mighty steed

Thanks everybody!!! I just don't want to lessen its life.

You won't lessen its life, but you'll use it up sooner. Unfortunately most of us have car-centric lives where we must drive everywhere.

It's 12 miles to my job. I purposely live at least that close and wish I had bought closer. It used to be about 10 miles to the DZ until they moved to a new location. After I quit working I plan to move to be closer to the DZ. I don't mind driving, but it's a tremendous waste of time and $$.

It's 12 miles to my job.

It's 15 miles to mine. I bike to work most days. This way, I can eat more cake :ph34r:.

You'll never be a climber with that attitude.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The car is a tool. If you need to drive it that much, then drive it that much, and take care of it (as the other guys mentioned).

Wendy P.

Yup, that's what ya bought it for!

I have an older friend, a neighbor of my parents whom I've known since childhood...Throughout my life when ever I got something like a car, motorcycle, parachute etc.

His wish for me was always ~

"Hope you wear it out & get a new one" :)

Took me until my mid-20's to truly realize what a really cool thing that is to say! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm driving a 1990 Honda Civic that I bought used in 1992 for $4k. I just learned that if you register the same car for 20 years in a row, that the county will give you a free set of brand new license plates. After 22 years though, my Honda only has about 240,000 miles on it.

Nope. By driving it 30 miles each way you are actually treating it better than shorter trips would.

If the driving is mostly freeway, it is even less wear. That's presuming that "Freeway" means smooth and steady, not stop and go commuter freeway stuff.
Smooth, steady driving doesn't put any wear on the brakes or clutch, and (as long as fluids are at proper levels) puts less wear and tear on the transmission and engine.

Bearings and tires will still go at their "mileage" times, which will be sooner on the calendar, but that stuff is normal.

FWIW, I had a semi truck make it well over 700K and it was still running fine when they took it away, traded it and gave me a new one. They do a few things to the big trucks to make them last, but the most important things are regular maintenance and steady driving.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It is one year later and I have 26K miles on it. Do you guys think I am putting too many miles on it?

Provided you stop for required maintenance as needed, you could literally drive that car all day, every day, for hundreds of thousands of miles. The car doesn't know if it drives 100 miles a week, or 100 miles a day, it just knows that it went 100 miles, and wears out accordingly.

That said, the Honda is a great choice for a high-mileage lifestyle.

What he said. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What everyone else said is true regarding wear and tear. My 2008 Prius is going in tomorrow for it's 150,000 mile service. Yep, that 150,000+ miles in 4.5 years. Still runs great. I change the oil on schedule and do the full maintanance check-up every 30,000 miles. No problems so far (knock on wood).

On the other hand, high milage kills resale value. We just traded in my wife's 2006 Subaru Forester. With average milage it would be worth about $10,000. With the 146,000 miles we put on it, we only got $3,000.

- Dan G

Thanks everybody for the reassurances.

My last car was a 1998 Honda Civic and it's still running (my parents now use it as a spare car) and it has about 300K miles. Only major thing I've done for that car is replace the catalytic converter.

No plans on reselling the car.

Just hoping to drive the car a long time.

I have a 2008 Civic, 165,000 miles and have only replaced the tires, oil, filters, and plugs.

You may want to think about the timing belt on that one... And do the water pump while they are in there.

+1. Big time.

You all beat me to it. I wouldn't drive it another mile. I had two Hondas that puked timing belts. One I owned from new and didn't know any better, the other I bought used and it slipped before I had time to change it. Both damaged the valves.