Squeak

Lest We Forget

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Armistice Day
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We will remember them.

Armistice Day

And we should never forget, because the carnage of that war must never be repeated. The losses in 1916 alone were just staggering.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We will remember them.

Armistice Day

And we should never forget, because the carnage of that war must never be repeated. The losses in 1916 alone were just staggering.

At the Battle of Verdun alone... (from Wikipedia)

French military casualties at Verdun, in 1916, were officially recorded as 377,231, with 162,308 KIA or missing. Total German casualties at Verdun, between February and December 1916, were recorded as 337,000, with around 100,000 KIA or missing. Modern estimations increase the casualties to 542,000 men on the French side and 434,000 on the German one. The statistics also confirm that at least 70% of the Verdun casualties on both sides were the result of artillery fire. The shell consumption by French artillery at Verdun, between 21 February and 30 September at Verdun, totalled 23.5 million rounds. Most of them (16 million shells) were fired by the French 75 batteries which lined up about 1,000 guns (250 batteries) on the battlefield. German sources document that their own artillery, mostly heavy and super heavy, fired off over 21 million shells from February to September 1916 only.

Here is the entry point into a 26 part BBC documentary made back in 1964 on "The Great War".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHm7fNDDY9Y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_%28documentary%29

It is long, it may take someone a few weeks to watch it all. But it is probably the most thorough documentary that could ever be made about "The Great War".

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

Siegfried Sassoon 1918
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I've been to ANZAC Cove and Lone Pine, I was surprised at the emotional response I had whilst being there.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've been to ANZAC Cove and Lone Pine, I was surprised at the emotional response I had whilst being there.

I think that happens to any SANE person that visits any great battlefield Squeak. The echoes of all those lost at places like that will always whisper down through history for those who will only listen.[:/]

In their ignorance, the governments of those warring countries took almost perverse pride in the growing casualty lists, as if that was a measure of their commitment to the war. [:/]

There is hope. Before WWII, Western Europe was breaking out into war after war. Now it is one of the most peaceful and prosperous places on Earth. Maybe we CAN change our nature, and the responses of our governments.

We will remember them.

Armistice Day

At the Battle of Verdun alone... (from Wikipedia)

French military casualties at Verdun, in 1916, were officially recorded as 377,231, with 162,308 KIA or missing. Total German casualties at Verdun, between February and December 1916, were recorded as 337,000, with around 100,000 KIA or missing. Modern estimations increase the casualties to 542,000 men on the French side and 434,000 on the German one. The statistics also confirm that at least 70% of the Verdun casualties on both sides were the result of artillery fire. The shell consumption by French artillery at Verdun, between 21 February and 30 September at Verdun, totalled 23.5 million rounds. Most of them (16 million shells) were fired by the French 75 batteries which lined up about 1,000 guns (250 batteries) on the battlefield. German sources document that their own artillery, mostly heavy and super heavy, fired off over 21 million shells from February to September 1916 only.

And the Somme:

July 1, 1916.

The British suffered 19,240 dead, 35,493 wounded, 2,152 missing and 585 prisoners for a total loss of 57,470. This meant that in one day of fighting, 20% of the entire British fighting force had been killed, in addition to the complete loss of the Newfoundland Regiment as a fighting unit. Haig and Rawlinson did not know the enormity of the casualties and injuries from the battle and actually considered resuming the offensive as soon as possible. In fact, Haig, in his diary the next day, wrote that "...the total casualties are estimated at over 40,000 to date. This cannot be considered severe in view of the numbers engaged, and the length of front attacked."

Hard to believe he could think such a thing.

Battle of the Somme July - Nov 1916
Total Allied casualties 623,907 KIA 146,431 -
Germany casualties 465,000 KIA 164,055

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi Squeak,

I was surprised at the emotional response I had whilst being there.

I had the some ( surprising ) emotional response when I visted here in 1963:

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/lx.php

One does seem to stand in awe.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I have yet to get to the cemetary at Normandy, but it is on my bucket list.

From April 24 and 25 on Gallipoli. The second photo is the Australian defense attache here.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

From April 24 and 25 on Gallipoli. The second photo is the Australian defense attache here.

that inscription on the all behind the Attache, was an open letter to the mothers of fallen ANZAC soldiers from Ataturk.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Squeak

I was surprised at my reaction while in Wa DC we stopped by the VN war memorial.

It "only" contained 50k names but ir's a very long wall and I started to cry uncontrolably like a baby.:(

So many people are listed, a lot of them were around my age "back in the day" all I could see were their young faces and they never got a chance to get older.:|

One Jump Wonder