Krip

Twinkee's

Here tim tams are the rage for sweet food. But since most of my family (wife is the only exception) grab a carrot or cheese as junk food, I don't really know. We eat our weight in cheese (sadly something the US and Australia have in common is not great cheese), love a proper acidic English cheddar...

Wait, what?

Have you ever had King's Island "Roaring 40s" blue cheese? If not, I am going to task you with a cheese quest! Go forth and seek cheese!

A co-worker gave me some Wisconsin smoked cheddar the other day that was as good as anything I'd ever had at an importer. We have a lot of small dairies around here that make some respectably good cheese.

Maytag blue is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've avoided it for fears of seeming cliche. Maybe it's time to rectify that situation.

Sure we're not FRANCE, but we still do some respectable cheese. You just need to avoid the stuff from the bug food corps that's a couple molecules away from plastic...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Say "CHEESE!"

You are about to be hit by what you may think was a truck.

:o:D:D

:D probably. Sweeping statements are always dangerous. I never did find cheese I liked in the US. Beer is another story though, very good beer in the US.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Here tim tams are the rage for sweet food. But since most of my family (wife is the only exception) grab a carrot or cheese as junk food, I don't really know. We eat our weight in cheese (sadly something the US and Australia have in common is not great cheese), love a proper acidic English cheddar...

Wait, what?

Have you ever had King's Island "Roaring 40s" blue cheese? If not, I am going to task you with a cheese quest! Go forth and seek cheese!

A co-worker gave me some Wisconsin smoked cheddar the other day that was as good as anything I'd ever had at an importer. We have a lot of small dairies around here that make some respectably good cheese.

Maytag blue is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've avoided it for fears of seeming cliche. Maybe it's time to rectify that situation.

Sure we're not FRANCE, but we still do some respectable cheese. You just need to avoid the stuff from the bug food corps that's a couple molecules away from plastic...

Ditto.. the Oregon Coast has a bunch of them with really good cheese like Blue Heron... and if you go to the actual Tillamook Cheese facility.. they have a WHOLE lot of stuff that is low in production numbers and never ends up in most retail stores. And here in WA.. we have some very good ones as well...http://nwcheese.com/ I was lucky enough to keep my 42' boat just a few miles from several small facilities.. and even after having grown up in WI.. with a grandfather who LOVED to find small dairies on Sunday drives.. this stuff is actually pretty damn good.

There are plenty of very good artisanal cheeses in the U.S.

It's not surprising that those from outside the U.S. would say we don't make good ones. We probably don't get the best ones from other countries, either.

Maryland has only one good Winery, but it has many good cheesemakers . :)

I am a huge supporter of buying local and am blessed to live somewhere that has such great food all around the place I live:)

That was just an example of what local producers can do, and that chances are you will never get to taste them.

Nigel stated that We(both us and aus) didn't have any good cheese. I don't believe this. Most places have good local cheeses, but rarely others outside of the local area get to taste them.

I'll even go out on a limb and say that even Mich. has some good ones :P, but no one outside the region will ever get to taste them.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi 99

Snip

What kind of Junk food you guy's have down under?

Tam Tams are avail in the US.B|

http://www.amazon.com/Arnotts-Tim-Tam-Original/product-reviews/B002KRVSNY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Got some good reviews for "junk food" to.;)

Who needs twinkies? if we can get Tam TAMS;)

One Jump Wonder

Hi 99

Snip

What kind of Junk food you guy's have down under?

Tam Tams are avail in the US.B|

http://www.amazon.com/Arnotts-Tim-Tam-Original/product-reviews/B002KRVSNY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Got some good reviews for "junk food" to.;)

Who needs twinkies? if we can get Tam TAMS;)

Pretty much the same global fastfood crap you guys initiated, BK, McDees, KFC, Pizz hut, Dominoes etc..

As far as biscuits (cookies) Tim Tams are pretty much our most famous Bicky. We also have Monte Carlos, Iced VoVos, Scotch Finger Biscuit, In cakes we have Lammingtons (sponge cake covered with a chocolate cover and rolled in coconut) and Pavlova (origins UnZud).

Savoury we are (in)famous for our meat pies.
Beer national crap is VB, although we have a LOT more boutique beers which are far superior.

WE DO NOT put shrimp on BarBees.. We don't even call them shrimp here, they are called PRAWNS
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I SOOOO should have taken you to Outback.... just to see the look on your face... not that we would have gone in mind you.. but your eye rolls would have been priceless.

:ph34r:
I've have been to one in 1999, in Tampa. I was gob smacked, there was NOTHING remotely Aussie about any of the food.
WTF is the deal with a "Bloomin Onion", who the hell deep fries giant fucking onions:S:S:S that's just GROSS:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's not surprising that those from outside the U.S. would say we don't make good ones. We probably don't get the best ones from other countries, either.

I'm sure your right and hopefully I'll get to try them sometime. But going into your average supermarket, everything reminded me of coloured plasticB|. UK supermarket cheese is pretty good on the other hand.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Well, obviously it’s not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm sure your right and hopefully I'll get to try them sometime. But going into your average supermarket, everything reminded me of coloured plasticB|. UK supermarket cheese is pretty good on the other hand.

Theres your problem raht there!!!

Hell.. even my local Safeway has a deli... with a pretty damn good selection of specialty cheeses as well as imported ones.... I DO have to keep my svelte speedskydiving figure ready to go when I finally get my shoulder rebuilt.

It will probably just be moved to mexico and someone there will start making your favorite sugar products once again.

That's bullshit.

Oh, wait, no it isn't.

http://nbclatino.com/2012/11/17/will-twinkies-be-reborn-through-new-mexican-ownership/

There's something very fundamentally wrong with the name "Bimbo's Twinkies".

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

It just crossed my mind...a whole episode of 'The Simpsons' will no longer be realistic. How can they survive at the twinkee factory after the apocalypse if there are no twinkee factories?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

WTF is the deal with a "Bloomin Onion", who the hell deep fries giant fucking onions:S:S:S that's just GROSS:D:D:D:D

quoted for posterity... I nearly choked to death laughing
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Don't tell Squeak what the Scots do with Mars bars.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.