billvon

Billions of tons of ice discovered . . .

. . . on Mercury. Pretty cool. There are craters at the poles where sunlight never reaches, and ice (and organic material) has collected there over the millennia. Hard to imagine ice on a planet where daytime temperatures can melt lead, but there's pretty good evidence for it.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/messenger/media/PressConf20121129.html

. . . on Mercury. Pretty cool. There are craters at the poles where sunlight never reaches, and ice (and organic material) has collected there over the millennia. Hard to imagine ice on a planet where daytime temperatures can melt lead, but there's pretty good evidence for it.

Guess we need to send a mission with a large quantity of whiskey to make use of all that ice!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Si. I guess the cat has cold feet? :P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

There's no atmosphere to speak of though.

Same with L.A. and yet people still live there...

just gotta remember to chew your air....

I think he was referring to the personalities.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I love the rhetoric some scientists use to try to get their point across. I read one that said something like if it covered an area the size of Washington, D.C., it would be two miles thick! Well, I've been to D.C., and it ain't that geographically large. Adding up all the ice on an entire planet and giving it, relatively, a pinhead of spatial reference is kinda silly.

But I do think it's neat that a planet that close to the sun has ANY ice. I just think it needs to be taken in the correct context. With some available water there, we could certainly find uses for it with robotic explorations.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Billions of tons of ice discovered . . .

When you find billions of tons of Margarita mix and Jose Cuervo, let me know.

:D:D:D

I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

What does ice on Mercury mean? It means people could GO there. If you have water, you have it all...oxygen, the ability to grow food, something to drink, the very keys to survival on a hostile planet. Science fiction writers will come out of the woodwork with this one, guaranteed.

Not if the 'ice' is frozen carbon dioxide like on Mars...unless the aliens are packin' fish for shipment & making bottle bombs to pass the time I doubt life as we know it could thrive for long on dry-ice. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What does ice on Mercury mean? It means people could GO there. If you have water, you have it all...oxygen, the ability to grow food, something to drink, the very keys to survival on a hostile planet. Science fiction writers will come out of the woodwork with this one, guaranteed.

Seems like you already have...:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Not if the 'ice' is frozen carbon dioxide like on Mars

The reports are saying frozen H2O.

I'll believe it when I see 'Arrowhead' set up a bottling plant there! ;)

Wouldn't that be outsourcing?

:o

Depends on who throws a flag up there 1st!

I read one that said something like if it covered an area the size of Washington, D.C., it would be two miles thick!

That could be the best use of ice I've heard in years.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I read one that said something like if it covered an area the size of Washington, D.C., it would be two miles thick!

That could be the best use of ice I've heard in years.:|

Wouldn't stick...too much hot air there.

This is because Mercury doesn't rotate. The same side always faces the sun. Kind of like that Hot Side, Cold Side sandwich McDonald's used to sell. I hated it when they dropped that burger from the menu.

Umm...

No.

http://cseligman.com/text/planets/mercuryrot.htm

Isaac Asimov wrote the "Lucky Starr" books back before this was discovered. When I read the re-released versions in the seventies, the one about Mercury had a preface that basically said "The orbital information is incorrect. But becuase it was so central to the story, I couldn't fix it without destroying the whole thing. Sorry, enjoy it anyway."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Starr_and_the_Big_Sun_of_Mercury
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo