Kuper

live on a mountain. is that a reason to turn off Cypress?

hello,
my DZ is at sea level. i live on a mountain (approx. 1kf).
until today i used not to trun off my Cypress (1) because people told me it won't use the battery, and will turn off automatically after 14 hours.
but today someone told me that because i'm living on a mountain, the cypress have to work all that way up and therefor i should trun it off...
should i?

thanx,
Ori.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

Yes.
Turn your Cypres off before you drive home.
The altitude change will keep your Cypres "awake," wearing out the batteries at a faster than normal rate.

I got the same answer straight from the mouth of Gerard Fetter from Airtec during a Military CYPRES Training Seminar.

I concur with Rob's recommendation.
Arrive Safely

John

The straight poop on cypres power consumption:

http://www.pcprg.com/cyprespc.htm

So, consider that the unit uses about/at most around 100 times less power at 'rest' compared to when the LED is on/calibrating. Turning off the unit takes, say 10 seconds or so. So if the unit were on for 100*10=1000 seconds or about 16 minutes, then you are better to turn it off. Even with the assumptions that I haven't listed, or even if it is 1000 times less power, then it would be about 2.5 hours for the break even point. So I think it is fairly safe to make the obvious conclusion - turn it off manually even if you don't drive up/down hills on the way home.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Does anyone ever wear out the batteries during weekend jumping, before the mandatory 2-year battery replacement?

Every time I hear about this arguement about turning it off or leaving it on, I wondered if there was ever a documented weekend jumper that had to replace them within 2 years...

Just wondering...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

I don't have a Cypres and don't know much about them.

So far, the direction of the answers has been towards saving battery power.

But it seems to me that the most important aspect of this question is the effect on the ground level "zero" sensed by the Cypres. Let's say that the Cypres thinks that ground level is his 1,500' AGL home. Then is he at risk of an unintended Cypres activation at a sea level DZ during a normal opening?

If the Cypres is set to fire at 750' above ground level, and "ground level" is thought to be 1,500' feet higher than the DZ, then it would fire at 2,250' - right where a lot of RW people are normally deploying.

Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't have a Cypres and don't know much about them.

But it seems to me that the most important aspect of this question is the effect on the ground level "zero" sensed by the Cypres. Let's say that the Cypres thinks that ground level is his 1,500' AGL home. Then is he at risk of an unintended Cypres activation at a sea level DZ during a normal opening?

No, because you don't turn it on until just before jump operations. At the DZ. If the LZ is different, you enter the offset.

Unlike the Astra, the battery drain is negligible if you leave it on for the 14 hour day, but if you drove home, it sounds like it may turn on into active mode where it keeps sampling pressure to note the beginning of a skydive.

AFAIK the Cypres will set to the lowest altitude if you turn it on at home in the mountain, and drive down to the DZ. This is why pilots should not fly lower than the take off altitude (sounds strange, but can happen in mountain places) or the Cypres should be turned OFF if it is impossible to avoid

Anyhow if your Cypres is ON and you change altitudes during the day you must turn it OFF and ON again at the new landing altitude.

If your landing altitude is different to the take off altitude, you can (MUST) set the Cypres to landing altitude which can be done easily (a PITA in my opinion, at least for Cypres 1), to an extent of 500m (1500ft) by incrementals/decrementals of ±10m (±30ft)

everything is written in the Cypres User's Guide

And regarding "saving battery power"... The difference is negligeable... Still nice to know and practice how to turn ON-OFF the device...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Does anyone ever wear out the batteries during weekend jumping, before the mandatory 2-year battery replacement?

Every time I hear about this arguement about turning it off or leaving it on, I wondered if there was ever a documented weekend jumper that had to replace them within 2 years...

Just wondering...

I just replaced the batteries in my cypres after the ones in the unit went dead after 16 month. This is the first time I have had this happen.
I would consider myself a weekend jumper, in that 16 months I made about 200+ jumps.
I turn it on when I get to the DZ and let it shut itself off. That is usually only 3 to 4 hours after I finnish jumping.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

YUP!

I wore out a set in roughly 1 1/2 years. I'm pretty much a weekend jumper, since I don't use my sport rig for student jumps very often. Just an occasional coach student. Most of my jumps are tandem jumps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sparky; if I remember correctly you live in the high desert? So driving home may well make it go "active"? Since I live in Big Bear, it sounds like a good idea to turn it off....I have to hit "I'm at DZ" on my neptune after I get home as otherwise it'll stay on and say "slow climb".

Sparky; if I remember correctly you live in the high desert? So driving home may well make it go "active"? Since I live in Big Bear, it sounds like a good idea to turn it off....I have to hit "I'm at DZ" on my neptune after I get home as otherwise it'll stay on and say "slow climb".

BB,

That very well could be true. But this is the first time it has happened on either cypres. One is DOM 6/95 and the one with the dead batteries is 5/97.

I am going to start turning it off and see what happens.

Sparky

Anyhow if your Cypres is ON and you change altitudes during the day you must turn it OFF and ON again at the new landing altitude.

Thanks for that info. This is a good point to emphasize for anyone who might be jumping in this kind of geographic situation.

So if the Cypres turns itself on from "sleep" mode because it senses an altitude change as you start down from your mountain home, and you do not re-zero it when you get to the DZ, then indeed you could have a problem, I presume. Or worse, you could go from a sea-level home to a mountain DZ.

I recognize that this situation would only exist if the time interval at home is so short that the Cypres didn't have time to turn itself off, and remained in "sleep" mode.

Have I got all this correct?

>Have I got all this correct?

Mostly, the Cypres also actively samples the air and resets its self to the new air pressure at the new elevation if it is there long enough. This is mainly needed in the case of pressure fronts moving in and changing the pressure at a location. It might make everyones altimeters off by 100 feet or more, but the cypres is smart enough that once it samples the new air pressure for long enough it resets itself to that pressure. This is really bad in the case of cross country flying to a demo (technically not allowed by the FARs I think). If the pilot levels out at 3000 feet for say 2 hours the cypres will think that 3000 feet is the new ground pressue and it will calculate from there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Meby off topic, but how about the Cypress 2? I know that on a cypress 1 you would probably be able to see if your going to have a problem with your battery prior to the 2 year service because it pauses at the battery voltage when you turn it on... Anyone know if you can check what the status of your battery is on a Cypress 2 as there is no pause in the countdown from 10 or anything...

Just curious...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Meby off topic, but how about the Cypress 2? I know that on a cypress 1 you would probably be able to see if your going to have a problem with your battery prior to the 2 year service because it pauses at the battery voltage when you turn it on... Anyone know if you can check what the status of your battery is on a Cypress 2 as there is no pause in the countdown from 10 or anything...

from the Cypres user's guide (link above in my previous post)
Error messages :

8999 Battery voltage is too low.
8998 The most probable cause will be a discharged battery.
Whatever happens, please replace the battery with a new one.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

from the Cypres user's guide (link above in my previous post)
Error messages :

8999 Battery voltage is too low.
8998 The most probable cause will be a discharged battery.
Whatever happens, please replace the battery with a new one.

The 2 Manual only lists 3 error codes - 1111, 2222, 3333. Call Us if any other appears.

For power supply it said that any failure outside of the maintenence windows would be dealt with on an expedited process.

Just wondering...

My home is 1000 feet above my dz and I always left my cypres on after jumping because i always heard that it takes more energy to turn it off than to leave it on. I just had to have my batteries replaced after 1 year. :S

My home is 1000 feet above my dz and I always left my cypres on after jumping because i always heard that it takes more energy to turn it off than to leave it on.

See post #4 of this thread...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have to hit "I'm at DZ" on my neptune after I get home as otherwise it'll stay on and say "slow climb".

I have my Neptune in my car when I go up and down to the mountains often. I usually hear the 1,000 foot audible beeps, and it sometimes logs a jump. I've also noticed that this causes the battery to wear out quicker. Unfortunately, short of pulling the battery, there's no way that I know of to turn off the Neptune.

Dunno... I've heard both arguments... turn it off before the drive home if you're going "up" on the way home and I've heard the argument that it doesn't matter. In the beginning, I used to always leave my Cypres ON and let it turn itself off whether I drove home or stayed at the DZ at night to jump the next day. After having a set of batteries drop dead at about 18 months into its 2 year "life" (not the 1st set of Cypres Batts I ever had, mind you) I religiously turned my Cypres off at the end of the day on the next set of batteries... they lasted the two years. After that, I've gone back to just letting the unit shut itself off... on that Cypres, the one in my Talon94, and on the second Cypres I've since purchased on my Javelin... and all of those battery sets have made it their advertised 2-years.

So what do I conclude from my experience... I suppose that if you turn it off at the end of the day before driving home, you may buy yourself some extra margin, but if you don't turn it off before the drive home, I wouldn't go so far as to say they won't last 2-years.

Form your own decission based on the info you have and do what makes you feel good is my 2 cents on this one.

Now, of course, that all applies to an original Cypres... a Cypres-2, dunno.

What you definitly DO NOT want to do is turn your Cypres on at home and then drive to the DZ!!

or

IMO... Turn your Cypes on at DZ - A, do a few jumps, drive to DZ - B and jump it without turning it OFF and then back ON again at the second DZ.

:S

Yes.
Turn your Cypres off before you drive home.
The altitude change will keep your Cypres "awake," wearing out the batteries at a faster than normal rate.

BEEP, we have a winner, no more calls please. Any further discussion is a waste of that band shit.:P

Sparky

I think a funny thing to hear as your car plummets off a high mountain cliff would be the sound of your pilot chute springing open in the back of your car.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher