Nataly

Aircraft seating...

When you have the option to select your commercial flight seat, which do you prefer ?

Personally, I like to have the quickest exit possible... Heck, on some airlines, you can sit anywhere, and as most people don't know there is NO FIRST CLASS, I usually get to sit in the very first row - AWESOME!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I have a rank or preference:

- Known extended legroom emergency row (some E rows dont have more space, and don't allow the seat to recline... BAD) aisle or window, don't care
- Aisle
- Closest to front
- Or window if closer
Remster

I can usually pull the seats due to status I want so I try to grab longer leg room first (6'2" is not comfortable otherwise) and that usually lets me get the bulkhead. I'll always grab a window if open.

If the bulkhead is not open or any with longer leg room I grab seats with power first and then seats with out someone beside me. I'll always grab a window to sleep against over an aisle.

I don't get up upgrades as frequently as I used to so I have to get used to riding in coach again this year...[:/]

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I prop my feet up on them much to the dismay of the FA. It works well since I get to stretch out and I get to look at the FA with a "bring me another drink for free since I missed out on the upgrade lottery" look . Plus they tend to fill up last since that end seat is where everyone bumps into as they load so it stays empty more than other seats do so I have pulled off the empty beside me thing more often.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It depends. If I'm in a hurry and alone, closest to the front. If I'm not (e.g. first flight with a connection and a decent wait), then I'll try for a window seat, preferably in front of the engines. And yes, if I have a choice, I'll even take into account which side the more interesting sights might be on :ph34r:.

If I'm traveling with my husband, we're nearly always going to sit together, with a middle-window combination. Neither of us has long legs, so legroom is not an issue.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Traveling alone with no checked luggage: closer to the front, with aisle preferred, but will take window seat if there's no aisles close up.

Traveling alone with checked luggage, I might be more likely to go for an exit row seat to get more leg room (also more likely to do this on a long flight even without checked luggage).

Traveling with my SO - we mostly fly Southwest, which is all 737s with the same seating config and open seating. There's an exit row that only has an aisle and middle seat, with no window seat, and if I can grab that pair I usually will, because then we don't have to deal with anyone else.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Traveling alone with no checked luggage: closer to the front, with aisle preferred, but will take window seat if there's no aisles close up.

Traveling alone with checked luggage, I might be more likely to go for an exit row seat to get more leg room (also more likely to do this on a long flight even without checked luggage).

Traveling with my SO - we mostly fly Southwest, which is all 737s with the same seating config and open seating. There's an exit row that only has an aisle and middle seat, with no window seat, and if I can grab that pair I usually will, because then we don't have to deal with anyone else.

This!
-or the window seat directly behind the missing seat so I can stretch my legs out.

I usually fly stand-by which means no real choice...that said the airline I usually fly sells the bulkhead & emergency row seat as 'premium' seating and many times they don't sell so I always ask if I can get seated there.

I always take the isle if possible...I'm tall and like to get up and either stroll around or just stand next to my seat from time to time.

I don't mind sitting in the rear at all, for a couple of reasons~

The food service always starts at the front which ties up the isle for most everybody for a while - no so if in the back. And I bring my own food anyway so I never care if 'we're out of shit-sammiches' by the time they get to me.

2nd- You're closer to the galley, good place for a tall guy to stand up for extended periods and kill time. I always bring Jelly Bellies & good chocolate to share with the FA's...they tend not to mind having a huge serial killer lookin' old guy standing back there if ya feed 'em! B|

I've learned it's always best to stay on the good side of the cabin crew...I learned this after stuffing my rig in the overhead once. The little old lady behind me asked "Is that a PARACHUTE?" :o

I answered back - Yeah, this one's kinda big, what kind did YOU get? >:(

THAT ended up being a rather LONG flight! :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm tall and like to get up and either stroll around or just stand next to my seat from time to time.

Yes! Most of my flights are pretty short (1-2 hours) so I can deal w/a window for that, but for anything longer, I like to stay very hydrated (thus I also need to use the lav) and also just like to get up and move the legs a bit. I'd rather not be "that guy" who asks my seatmates to get up constantly, so the aisle does the trick.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm tall and like to get up and either stroll around or just stand next to my seat from time to time.

Yes! Most of my flights are pretty short (1-2 hours) so I can deal w/a window for that, but for anything longer, I like to stay very hydrated (thus I also need to use the lav) and also just like to get up and move the legs a bit. I'd rather not be "that guy" who asks my seatmates to get up constantly, so the aisle does the trick.

short flights I like the window and try to get close to the front.
longer flights depending on the bus we're in I look for seats with more legroom like the emergency exit row or at least an aisle seat so I can stretch my legs out in the aisle and annoy the FE's
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I'll even take into account which side the more interesting sights might be on :ph34r:.

This, always. Certainly gotta have a window seat to pair with that too.:D

But NEVER on a seat that doesn't recline, or within 2 rows of the lavatories...

I'll even take into account which side the more interesting sights might be on :ph34r:.

Usually when I fly it's back and forth across the US. When I'm flying East I try and sit starboard and when flying west I sit Port. That way between my closed window shutter and less light coming in from the opposite side of the airplane (where unfortunately I can't control the shutters), I get the darkest possible environment. When flying at night I don't care which side I'm on.

I much prefer window seats as I virtually never get up during flights and I don't want anyone asking me to move so they can get to the aisle. I also always try and sit as far forward as possible because of how slow people are to disembark. I'm 5'9" and I'm not fat, so space usually isn't a problem.

Similar to how I feel. 90% of my commercial flights are 1.5-2 hours on regionals, so not much difference between seating anyways. I would prefer if everyone would just get their ass on the plane so we can get airborne. I think it's rather stupid the "levels" of boarding and all the other bullshit around just getting your ass on the plane so we get out of there. (and this coming from someone who's platinum) It turns what should be a 10 minute procedure into a long and drawn out sometimes 30 minute or more ordeal. Most of us on this page are happy and content to spend the better part of our weekends packed into jump planes like sardines, it's a bit comical the same group would be so concerned about where they sit on commercial flight. :S

I think it's rather stupid the "levels" of boarding and all the other bullshit around just getting your ass on the plane so we get out of there. (and this coming from someone who's platinum) It turns what should be a 10 minute procedure into a long and drawn out sometimes 30 minute or more ordeal.

95% of my travel is on Southwest, for both business and personal trips. About the only time I fly another carrier is international trips, or if it'll get me a nonstop cross-country or to Hawaii.

The times I do fly another carrier (United or Alaska, usually) I'm stunned that it takes them at least twice as long to turn a 737 (or aircraft of similar size) as it does Southwest.

People piss and moan about Southwest's "cattle call" but it hasn't been like that in years. And they routinely turn planes far faster than every other carrier. B| (Possibly still too slow, but it's the best I've seen).

Similar to how I feel. 90% of my commercial flights are 1.5-2 hours on regionals, so not much difference between seating anyways. I would prefer if everyone would just get their ass on the plane so we can get airborne. I think it's rather stupid the "levels" of boarding and all the other bullshit around just getting your ass on the plane so we get out of there. (and this coming from someone who's platinum) It turns what should be a 10 minute procedure into a long and drawn out sometimes 30 minute or more ordeal. Most of us on this page are happy and content to spend the better part of our weekends packed into jump planes like sardines, it's a bit comical the same group would be so concerned about where they sit on commercial flight. :S

I would LOVE to see them just queue everyone by seat number from back to front and the plane empties.. and WHOOOSH.. just start packen them in.. Whose dumb ass idea is it to let the fucking slowest people and the people in FRONT of the airplane in first....>:(

Not sure if it was mentioned but there was a study done on airplane boarding and seating. The fastest way ended up being. Back to front all window seats then middle seats then aisle it supposedly saved 30 minutes I thought on boarding time. The airlines weren't interested from what I understood. UGH
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I would LOVE to see them just queue everyone by seat number from back to front and the plane empties.. and WHOOOSH.. just start packen them in.. Whose dumb ass idea is it to let the fucking slowest people and the people in FRONT of the airplane in first....>:(

AGREE!!!! I even wrote them a letter suggesting such and to color code a single aisle seat that one should walk past to their section.
Back to front to board.
Front to back to deplane.
How hard is that?!?!?!?!.

Hell, most any Air Force Loadmaster can tell you that. >:(
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.