longtall

checking rig as baggage

Has anyone had troubles with their rigs integrity or arrival from checking their parachutes and container into baggage for an international flight. I just cant get my rig small enough to fit in carry on: Flying united to London to visit family..........................J....
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

I've travelled with it as hand luggage, no problems there, but my friends have checked it in with no problems there either.

I'd definetely lock the suitcase (with a TSA approved lock if travelling from the US).

Are you sure you can't take it as carryon? I saw the Delta carryon limit box on the airport, and I'd even be able to fit a student rig in there. Some airlines, such as Delta, will even insist in you taking the rig as carryon because of the AAD if you tell them that you've got a rig with you. (really weird to be asked "Have you got your own parachute with you?" before going on a commercial flight).

What about calling United to hear what their policies are?
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I never check my gear when I travel. The airlines won't insure it for what it's worth should anything happen to it. Plus, if you are going somewhere to skydive and your luggage gets lost... I can do without a lot of things when I get there but my rig isn't one of them if I'm getting out of airplanes.

I've checked in my rig on numerous international flights in various countries through assorted airlines. I never locked the suitcase. Maybe I've been lucky but I have never had a problem. OTOH I had a pair of nice sunglasses removed from their case in an ordinary checked in bag...

I usually check mine. Most of my flights start or stop in Venezuela and the National Guard is noted for stealing shit out of checked bags. I'm already lugging a shitload of carry on with equipment that they might be tempted to swipe, I don't think they'd even know what a rig is.

I always zip-tye the bag closed...If they really want to open it they could just cut the zip-ties, but they haven't yet.
I got nuthin

I check my rig in luggage every time I fly. It's not worth the hassle of try to take it into the passenger compartment. United delays my luggage about 20% of the time, and sometimes I don't get it back for two days. Once it had my rig, but I was on the way BACK from a boogie, so I didn't need it right away. United in the only one that loses my luggage - every other carrier is fine.

I can't speak for checking a rig internationally, as I've never done it.

Edit - spelling.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

something that worked for me with a jav j-4/sabre 190 was to cut away the main and carry it (in it's d-bag) in my second carry-on. without the main, the container/reserve fit in my carry-on roller bag. ;)

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Not a bad idea you got there.
I'll probably never check my rig as i've heard too many horror stories.
I've only traveled with my rig once and was very surprised how easy it was. Mine fits in a carry on bad though. Both times going through security the person after me or before me was stopped for a bottle of water or a soda can. I couldn't help but laugh a little, grab my bag and get the heck out of there.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

YES I've had problems. Watch out for power crazed idiots working at "security" - After 2 years of carrying on, with ZERO problems; Stansted now made Woodpecker and I check our rigs. With no real reasons - "it's the rules" is what they said "and has been dor for years" they added - "BOLLOCKS".

So we had to check them into the hold in soft bags (If we had known that, would have used Hard cases).

And you can't argue with these wankers, agggggghhhhhhh

P.S - We had NO problems coming back from Girona.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yep sounds just like Stansted a rule of its own in aviation rules.
Just a bunch of w^%*&^s most of who can't speak english anyway.
Almost a joke when you come back to the country having your passport checked by somebody who probably wasnt even born here!!!
Glad this is in bonfire but dont they just get on your case,pay peanuts get monkeys.
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Don't want to make a new thread on this subject as it has been covered a thousand times, so bumping this one.

I am traveling from Oslo, Norway to San Diego in a weak, and bringing my rig with me. It is too large to carry on, so I am putting in it in a hard case bag.

What I am worried about is the security guys opening the bag without me being there and messing around with my reserve etc. Should I be worried? I have printed out the cypres x-ray card that I am going to put in the bag, along with a note that says not to open anything, as it then has to be repacked by a certified rigger.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

melathechamp

Don't want to make a new thread on this subject as it has been covered a thousand times, so bumping this one.

I am traveling from Oslo, Norway to San Diego in a weak, and bringing my rig with me. It is too large to carry on, so I am putting in it in a hard case bag.

What I am worried about is the security guys opening the bag without me being there and messing around with my reserve etc. Should I be worried? I have printed out the cypres x-ray card that I am going to put in the bag, along with a note that says not to open anything, as it then has to be repacked by a certified rigger.

How big is your rig? I carry on an Infinity I-66N with a Fusion 190 and a Smart 220 in it, and that's a damned large rig by most standards.

1. Get insurance, make sure it'll cover 100% of your gear FULL REPLACEMENT COST.

2. See 1.

3. See 2, 1.

4. When you check the bag in, tell the checkin agent that it's expensive, and very sensitive life saving equipment and if there's to be an inspection you would like to be present.

5. If you can afford to, just ship it ahead of you via a reputable service with full tracking and insurance.
cavete terrae.

melathechamp

Print out a sign, that read,
"THIS IS A LIFE SAVING DEVICE"
Please have me present for any physical inspection.
Mela T Champ
555-5416-5423
25 skydive way
Oslo Norway.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Mirage G4 (M7?) with a spectre 210 and a PDR 218, so yeah, it's large.

My travel insurance will cover about half of it, but it is capped at roughly $2500. If I want to raise that amount to $5000 it will be an extra 400-500 bucks in insurance, which is ridiculous, and probably not worth it?

Regarding your point #4, wouldn't that just encourage them to open it?

And I am connecting in New York, that's where I believe the trouble might happen. The security checks in the US cannot compare to Norway.

Thanks for your reply!:)