Zep

Do aircraft ever get stolen

quade

Please don't encourage those who violate terms of service and "The Rules."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=142088

You're not doing anybody any favors.

Unless, of course, you were being ironic and want him to get perma banned faster than he's already on track to be.

What the mod says goes its their house their rules. I'm slow quade I get it.B|

#2 aka the shah had gone to far to many times off the reservation so you all are going with a tighter leash. No More 3 yrs of #2. BS

Thanks For the heads up I didn't know you all going to run that tight a ship. Personally I've seen some of my post disappear no biggie not going to waste my time with a questionable post that may or not pass.

PM time.

Thanks Quade
One Jump Wonder

Wasn't there a jumper (or a group of jumpers) back in the day, that were doing night drug runs across the border in stolen aircraft. They bailed out with the drugs and let the planes go in? I don't remember any details, but I think one of jumpers went in on one of the runs.

Anybody else remember?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Wasn't there a jumper (or a group of jumpers) back in the day, that were doing night drug runs across the border in stolen aircraft. They bailed out with the drugs and let the planes go in? I don't remember any details, but I think one of jumpers went in on one of the runs.

Anybody else remember?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_C._Thornton_II
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

I forgot about the cocaine sniffing bear.
:o:D

"At death Thornton was wearing night vision goggles, a bulletproof vest, Gucci loafers, and a green Army duffel bag containing approximately 40 kilos (79 lbs.) of cocaine valued at $15 million, $4,500 in cash, knives, and two pistols."

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My dad's Cherokee 6 was stolen from Gillespie Field in San Diego and used to haul pot from Mexico. When it stopped to refuel in Hermosillo, the local Federales confiscated the plane. We never got it back.

Because the Feds had it as part of a drug investigation and said they would "eventually" release it, the insurance company never paid off. It was a beautiful plane.:(

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

quade

Did he have some sort of underground hanger? I can't imagine for even a nanosecond a Cessna Skyhawk would survive being buried and still be in any sort of useable condition. They are built just barely strong enough to keep the rain out and frequently don't succeed at doing that. A small amount of dirt on top of them and they ought to crush like an aluminum can underfoot.

I imagine that it being in direct contact with the soil would've just opened the flood gates on all kinds of corrosion too.

I wouldn't fly it...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The day after 9-11 a couple agricultural spray planes were stolen from a strip in southern California. THAT got my attention!

Thinking back just a few weeks before 9-11 I recalled a couple guys who had gotten onto the ramp at Whiteman Airport near Burbank, CA. They stopped by my hangar to ask a few questions about hangar rent and setting up a paint shop. They appeared Middle Eastern and the only one who spoke english had a heavy accent. "Paint", spray planes, hangar right near downtown LA...

jon

Yes.

And in the process they generally get damaged during the break-in and start.

Which is why I generally leave my plane unlocked. If someone is going to steal it, they will, and I prefer they not damage it in the process.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Yes.

Which is why I generally leave my plane unlocked. If someone is going to steal it, they will, and I prefer they not damage it in the process.

Do you leave your car or house unlocked, too? :o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Yes.

Which is why I generally leave my plane unlocked.

Always leave the plane unlocked, not because of fears of it being stolen, but because of junkies breaking into it to raid the medical kit. For some reason they think there are drugs like morphine in there.

Of course there aren't any drugs in there, but if the plane is locked they will smash the lock to get into it, and it is a pain fixing that sort of damage.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

oldwomanc6

Yes.

I actually can't think of anyone that I know that locks their plane.

Theory is, if they want my radios, at least they don't have to cause thousands of $$ worth of damage to get to them.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

A co-worker in Chicago had his side window broken and the stereo stolen. It wasn't even an expensive car, but the cost to replace the window was astronomical, several times what the stereo was worth. After that, he quit locking his doors.

oldwomanc6

Yes.

I leave no valuables in the plane, unlike the house. Car is easier and much quicker to fix if damaged.

theonlyski

Yes.

I actually can't think of anyone that I know that locks their plane.

Theory is, if they want my radios, at least they don't have to cause thousands of $$ worth of damage to get to them.

+1