feuergnom

Should there be a skydivers version of "godwins law"

In many of the safety related discussions one poster turns up stating that a skyhook may have prevented/influenced the outcome - without knowing what the thing really does or how works at all. so I think it's time to come up with the skydivers version of "godwins law": anytime someone posts "skyhook" the discussion is over
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Seriously, this is a brilliant idea. Should we restrict it to Skyhooks, or should it also include some branches of the AAD discussion tree?

I would vote for "but what price is your life worth?"
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

Seriously, this is a brilliant idea. Should we restrict it to Skyhooks, or should it also include some branches of the AAD discussion tree?

I would vote for "but what price is your life worth?"

that or "you dont know what you dont know"!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Joellercoaster

or should it also include some branches of the AAD discussion tree?

give me an example so I can think about it. or someone more clever than me can sum up these two lines of thought in one clever sentence
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Godwin's law something to do with if you continue a forum thread, or any conversation long enough, someone will use a nazi reference or analogy? My last name is Godwin, so when I heard of this "law" I naturally wanted to see what it was.
I seem to remember many forums with some mention of nazis...

Care to explain booths law #3? And what a skyhook has to do with nazi's. I'm just confused by this thread.
My wife has one and is predominately German. Oh shit that must be it. My wife's a nazi. Would explain why she wants to put "heavier doors" on the shower. Yeah that must be it.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

pchapman

***what is this skyhook you're talking about ?

The Skyhook is Rigging Innovations reserve pilot chute, and has been for decades. I think some other company later started calling some other product a Skyhook too.

;);)

Naw!
"Skyhook" was a helicopter built by Cessna during the 1960s.

... and the Skyhook is a whole bunch of other things too... proposed space transportation, gadget in a sci-fi game, rock climbing tool, imaginary device used to fool people, and probably a bunch more things, perhaps more than we need to list.

pchapman

... and the Skyhook is a whole bunch of other things too... proposed space transportation, gadget in a sci-fi game, rock climbing tool, imaginary device used to fool people, and probably a bunch more things, perhaps more than we need to list.

Isn't that also the name of the system wherein a person can be extracted from an area by floating a special balloon attached to a harness and a plane snags the balloon and yanks 'em off the ground?
cavete terrae.

Alexg3265

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Godwin's law something to do with if you continue a forum thread, or any conversation long enough, someone will use a nazi reference or analogy? My last name is Godwin, so when I heard of this "law" I naturally wanted to see what it was.
I seem to remember many forums with some mention of nazis...

Care to explain booths law #3? And what a skyhook has to do with nazi's. I'm just confused by this thread.
My wife has one and is predominately German. Oh shit that must be it. My wife's a nazi. Would explain why she wants to put "heavier doors" on the shower. Yeah that must be it.

Probably meant #2.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

pchapman

That's just not true. We had them when I was a space ship door gunner in the Army.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Alexg3265

I think what he is getting at is that in any discussion regarding a particular skydiving incident eventually someone will claim that a skyhook would have prevented the injury or fatality, in the same fashion that in a heated political debate eventually someone will call their opponent a Nazi.

With that said I have yet to hear of a fatality caused by a skyhook. But many fatalities could have been prevented with the use of a skyhook.