bigfall

Equipment problems for large jumpers !

I have recently completed my first two static line jumps and am scheduled two make two more on the weekend of October 8th. My problem is that I am a construction worker and a former weight lifter so I am on the rather large size which is my problem stems from. I have been taking my classes at Wayne County airport in richmond Ohio and one of the instructors had a chute that was for tandum jumping and was able to convert it for a single jumper to make their static line jumps for the first five jumps after that I needed to buy my own rig to complete the course and get my A class license. My question is where can I go to find information or even a rig that I can use to finish the most exciting thing that I have ever done.:)
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

How big are you?

I'm 6'4" and 235 without gear and 'normal' stuff seems to work...

If you are a LARGE economy size guy, you might want
to contact 'Bigun' or 'Anvil' for suggestions.

Or do a forum search on the topic...it's been
covered at lenth before...

Good luck and Welcome!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hay big guy, Check the classified on this websight.
your are trying to fing a wingloading of .8/1. If you do not understand wingloading yet ask your instructor. Remember the USPA will also require you to jump an AAD equiped rig till you get your A license. I think you should also get a rig with a RSL.
You may not find many people to agree with the following statment.... but Dolphin makes an inexpensive contianer if you decide to buy new contianer. There sizing charts are simple to understand like small, med., large, xtra large and xxlarge. Good luck, and welcome to the fold.

I am a big guy now (255 Lbs) and was bigger during aff(325) that is dry weight not with gear on. We both used the Mt1-XX de-milled HALO rig made by Paraflite to go through AFF. I am still currently jumping one even after loosing 70lbs. A mt1-xx uses 370 f-111 type square foot canopies, they are the best option if you were like us starting out. I love mine as it was built like a tank rated at a max deployment speed of 170 knots which is in range for us fast fallers and a max suspended rating of 360 or 370 lbs. Most are retrofitted to use a FXC12000 AAD mounted on the left MLW attached to a dual pin reserve. It has a regular chest straps, a belly band, and adjustable leg straps that have snaps on them. The main is usually activated by ripcord from the outboard side of the right main lift web, but can by retrofitted to have a hip mounted ripcord, and a regular throw out pilot chute such as mind. It has snaps on the riser covers and is NOT free fly friendly. Mostly are flat packed to open well, but have been propacked also. The only thing I can say bad about the rig is the weight at 47lbs with a fxc installed a lower leg and back work out will be had after a day of stooping over in the plane and hauling it all over the dz. They can be found for under $1000 so you can get in the air while you work on loosing weight to get into a sport rig. Hope this helps as I have no clue how much you weigh, but for anyone that weighs over 250 this rig would work IMO. This is the only rig I have ever jumped and I have spent over a year studying it.

My exit weight is ~320 so I know what a hassle it is.

I've talked to several different companies on the phone and basically anyone who has a TSO-B or D will make you a rig to order(even if it's not listed in their size charts).

Canopy-wise, there are several very good canopies that come in large sizes. These are student mains, but at your level of experience, that's what you want. Once you get some jumps under your belt, there's several companies that will scale up a higher performance canopy to suit your needs.

Some have suggested MT-1XX's. Personally I'd avoid that route for two reasons. 1. Paraflite now refuses to do business with civilians, so parts for the gear are becomning harder to find and will eventually dry up. 2. The MT-1 harness isn't designed for sport parachute jumping. It's large, bulky, and for our uses, somewhat dangerous. The rig is not free fly friendly, and that quick-release leg strap hardware is just scary.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

The MT-1 harness isn't designed for sport parachute jumping. It's large, bulky, and for our uses, somewhat dangerous. The rig is not free fly friendly, and that quick-release leg strap hardware is just scary.

Why do you say a MT-1 is "somewhat" dangerous. It was designed for high altitude freefall and can be deployed at 30,000 ft. at 150 KIAS with a 300 lb.+ load. That works out to just over 240 KTAS witch is more than your rig is designed to take. As for the quick ejector hardware, it is used on most ejection seats in service today with ejections over 600 KIAS and no problems. B-12's and quick ejectors were designed to be used on leg straps. The quick fit adapters used on step through H/C systems was designed to be used mainly for harness adjustment such as the MLW and the back diagonal.

I do agree with you that the system is not FF friendly, but dangerous, I don't think so.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I do agree with you that the system is not FF friendly, but dangerous, I don't think so.

Notice I said somewhat dangerous for our uses. The rig works find for what it was designed for, but it wasn't designed to be used for sport jumping. It's not free fly friendly, which is relavent in this case as students/low timejumpers tend to put rigs into positions not even free flyers think of, and I've seen the results of a b-12 coming undone during a sports jump, and the quick release hardware is much easier to undo. Not a good thing when other people may have their hands on your rig during a jump.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

and I've seen the results of a b-12 coming undone during a sports jump, and the quick release hardware is much easier to undo. Not a good thing when other people may have their hands on your rig during a jump.

Quick-eject hardware is far more secure and durable than the conventional B-12 hardware that is on virtually all sport student gear. The B-12 gates quite often get bent and will stick in the open position.

The MT-1 system has probably trained more "students" worldwide than any "sport" system available. And those "students" have probably seen speeds greater than sport freeflyers.

I think it would make a very nice, very affordable system for the larger guys... until sport manufacturers develop a big boy student system.

Chris

(and yes... I too have fallen out of a B-12 legstrap.)

Quick-eject hardware is far more secure and durable than the conventional B-12 hardware that is on virtually all sport student gear. The B-12 gates quite often get bent and will stick in the open position.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. The way the quick release adapter doesn't just open, but also ejects the v-ring scared me, especially since on my MT-1 harness the release lever is on the outside of the fitting and there wasn't any provision for pinning the adapter closed. That was the main reason that I gave up on trying to get my MT-1 in the air.

-Blind.

There is a large number of "Anvil Brothers" who've been in your shoes. All of us are willing to help. Please give us some more information regarding your height and weight and we can help you to move forward.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Iam very grateful for all the information that you have givin me. I will be checking into the halo chute it sounds like it is just what I am looking for. At the beginning of this year I weighed 329lbs but before I took my first jump this year I had dropped to 267lbs and hope to do better thanks for all your help,bigfall
SKYBOMB

Hey bigun, bigfall again my height is 5'11" and my weight is 267lbs and yes I would greatly accept any help you and all the other big jumpers can give me.
By the way my nick name on the two softball teams that I play on is bigun thanks bigfall
SKYBOMB

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. The way the quick release adapter doesn't just open, but also ejects the v-ring scared me, especially since on my MT-1 harness the release lever is on the outside of the fitting and there wasn't any provision for pinning the adapter closed. That was the main reason that I gave up on trying to get my MT-1 in the air.

-Blind.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I do not understand your concern.
B-12s and quick ejectors may not be my first choice and they may require a closer eye than the "thread-throughs" installed on most sport harnesses, but they are a long way from dangerous.

Bigun,

I wiegh in at 237 , 5'10" and will probably drop to 210 - 220 within 6 - 8 months....or not. I have 90 jumps, but the last 12 have neem after a 8 year layoff from the miloitary and MFF. I am jumping a 280 Nav rental, but have my eyes set on a slightly used 280 Nav to purchase so i can start putting together my own rig. I found a Prestige container, that I need to check out, and am looking at either a Tempo 254 or a Raven 253 for a reserve. I would eventually like to downsize, if ever to a 260 or 230. Today, that is the smallest I think i will go..again that is today. Any advice or help is appreciated. I also need to work on my landings, as it seems the 280 is much different than the 7 cell 370 I jumped in the Army.

Thanks,

Miguel
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

Miguel,

Your direction appears to be a solid path. The 280 will be good for the first year or 1-200 jumps while you work on your landings. The 280 will appear more "speedy" than the 370 you used in MFF, but you will get used to it quickly. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get the 260 now since you will be losing weight quickly and even at your current exit weight would be loading it 1:1.

I would also encourage you to review BillVon's downsizing checklist located on this site in safety http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47

I'm going to ask SkyMonkeyOne to jump in on this thread since you have MFF background and ask for his thoughts on the issue.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You "may" get some flak about this (and I may also), but at 267, your major criteria is your reserve. TallGuy entered the sport at 6'9" and 265. His gear shop recommended a Mirage Container, PD 253 and Sabre (or Safire) 230 once he finished student status.

You could get by with any of the following suggestions, depending on your S&TA and DZO's approval (or experience with Anvils) (no order of preference implied).

H/C
Wings
Mirage
Vector
Javelin
Dolphin

MAIN
Falcon 300 in F111
PD Navigator 280
Sabre 230 (here's where I get beat on)
Safire 230 (ouch again)

RESERVES
PD 253
Precison Aerodynamics - RavenMax (r-max) 248

Don't let your weight concern you. Your not as big as some of the guys who have accomplished their goal.

Jump Shack also makes a complete Big guy system from H/C through Main and reserve. Night jumper( Mike F.) is a pretty big guy himself and has helped other big guys here out with their set ups. Give him a call or PM him.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'd stay away from the Safire 230... its sized odd from accounts from Icarus and is said to be more of a 210ish by PD sizing.

That said.. there are plently of 230, 240,260's out there in good shape :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

HALO MT1-XX and MC-4 harnesses dangerous for sport jumping? Not in my opinion. You are not about to slide out of one of those harnesses. Also, worrying about quick ejector snaps coming undone is being very paranoid, too. I have never, ever heard of quick ejector hardware "coming undone" on a freefall jump of any type.

I have never, ever heard of quick ejector hardware "coming undone" on a freefall jump of any type.

Me either..

In fact all the rigs our demonstration team has in inventory
are equipped with Quick Release hardware, in the event of a
water landing they allow for a simple egress of the gear.

I think all the 'fear' of that hardware came about through
some articles written years ago about the possibility
of bent ears not allowing the snap to close properly.

The solution is to not abuse your gear, and look at the
hardware when you hook it up!

The downside of that type of hardware is it's a bit heavier
than friction adapters on step through harness models.

An important consideration for someone worried about
the size of the weight vest they'll need to wear!:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Any of the harness mfgs should be able to make you a rig that fits well (although Voodoos don't go that big, I believe).

You really aren't so big, not so unusual.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have to agree, Chuck and I have boat loads of jumps on gear with quick ejector snaps and there are literally hundreds of thousands of military jumps made on systems with quick ejector snaps and it has never been an issue. In fact, the quick ejector snap is more secure than a B-12 IMO since a B-12 gate can and does loose spring tension or bend. Even if a quick ejector snap lever is not fully seated on the ball detent it will not allow for the Quick fit V ring(buckle) to come undone.

As for the MC-4 system being used in a sports capacity I think it is a brilliant alternative for those really big guys. You will not find a more durable or heavily engineered rig period, everything is stronger than it needs to be. The only draw back is that it is pretty heavy at nearly 50lbs. The 370' 7 cell para flite mains are docile even when heavily loaded and again are over engineered for durability. Having done high speed HAHO passes above 20k I can tell you there are not too many civillian mains out there that could survive that kind of continous use with out some sort of failure or jumper injury.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have 30 jumps on my mt1-xx and I have never looked down at the leg snaps and seen anything other than a closed gate. When I was heavier (375 otd) I regularly deployed at 174 mph. Now that I am 308OTD and opening at 120mph it feels better on the legs;)