ryoder

"Smarter Every Day": The coming eclipse of Aug 21

I very much want to go see this and have wanted to for several years. What stops me is the crap-shoot aspect of traveling with the potential for it being clouded out at my initial location, then trying to chase it for several hundred miles only to have that crowded out by everyone else, possibly stuck in traffic on a two lane hi-way in BFE and getting totally screwed.

I'm willing to go to a lot of places to experience a lot of things, but they usually don't have as specific a schedule as an eclipse does and you just have to know this one is going to be super crowed at all the "good" spots.

I know most hotels at the prime locations have been sold out for years.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Paul,

stuck in traffic on a two lane hi-way in BFE

I am well aware that Oregon is not the most populace state but we like to think that we are not living in BFE.

Check the weather ( August is usually clear here ), load up your wife & come & stay with me. I have room ( no charge ) and getting to where we could watch it is only a short distance away.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/states/OR.htm

Optimism is a great virtue,

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Robert,

"Smarter Every Day"

I hope that anyone planning on watching the eclipse does not use any form of welding goggles, hoods, etc. These will not protect your eyes.

About a month ago a local tv weatherman said that using welding equipment would be OK. I called the station and told them that he should do his homework before spouting off; well, I actually said it a little nicer than that.

Jerry Baumchen

Thanks for the offer. Very kind.

I wasn't always this way, but I've been disappointed enough to look at my plans carefully. In my previous planning I had considered Oregon as a bit too iffy and was looking farther east, but ya never know, I might take you up on the offer.
quade -

I'm spending the day at Z-Hills. B| Right along the path, and a WIDE OPEN field. :P Might even jump out of a perfectly good airplane sometime during the event. :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'll be at Yellowstone; might take a day trip down to Grand Tetons for the day...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

unkulunkulu

Isn't it like skydiving? One waits for good weather at the dropzone (a saying here in Russia, not sure if I translated that correctly). Not guaranteed but a reasonable chance to have an unforgettable experience. I would totally give it a shot.

Sort of, but not really.

I costs little to drive to the DZ ($10 from LA to Perris?), and there is always tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that.

There is a risk/reward calculation for sure though.
quade -

JerryBaumchen

Hi Robert,

"Smarter Every Day"

I hope that anyone planning on watching the eclipse does not use any form of welding goggles, hoods, etc. These will not protect your eyes.

About a month ago a local tv weatherman said that using welding equipment would be OK. I called the station and told them that he should do his homework before spouting off; well, I actually said it a little nicer than that.

Jerry Baumchen

BS. I weld. A #14 lens and you are fine. I look at the sun thru an auto lens set to 13. No problemo.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Hi aka,

No problemo.

We will have to agre to disagree.

I will choose to err on the side of caution.

Back in the 70's, during the last total eclipse in this area, there was a lot of discussion about this. That is why I made my posting.

I still have my eclipse-safe lenses from back then & will use them again this time.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Do you really think call it BS adds to the discussion?

You may be wrong this time Jerry. A rare event, I know.

Welders' Goggles

Welders' goggles or the filters for welder's goggles with a rating of 14 or higher are safe to use for looking directly at the Sun. They are also relatively inexpensive.

Warning! Do not attempt to use these filters behind a pair of binoculars or telescope (that is, between your eyes and the binoculars or telescope). The magnifying optics of these devices will focus the full power of the Sun onto the welder's filter which could crack and shatter from the intense heat after only a few minutes. If you wish to observe the eclipse with binoculars or a telescope, you must use a specially designed solar filter on the front end (or Sun-side) of the instrument. These filters are discussed in the next section. (2002/09/03)

http://www.mreclipse.com/Totality2/TotalityCh11.html
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Ken,

You may be wrong this time Jerry.

You are correct. To all of you, I apologize for my error.

It looks like I have not kept up in on-going technology.

A rare event

Not really.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I was laying bed last nite thinking about this & realized that I might just be wrong due to advancing technology. It's he** getting old. >:(