psychoswooper

Tempo Reserve Problem

This past weekend, a jumper visiting our DZ for the 1st time had a problem with his Tempo 120 Reserve after a cutaway of his main canopy. The left 2 cells of his reserve refused to inflate. The jumper has over 500 jumps and is the FAA rigger who packed the reserve. He stated that he could see no entanglement of any kind and no other reason why the cells ahould not inflate.The reserve was well loaded as his weight is aprox 185 lbs. He reportedly made every attempt to coax the cells to inflate. He managed to keep the partially inflated reserve flying straight by pulling very hard on the opposite riser & landed very hard. He did a good PLF & was uninjured.
After landing , the rigger/jumper & myself (a rigger) inspected the canopy & could find no signs of line problems or structural damage or any other visiable reason why the canopy did not fully inflate.

I don't understand how a high wing loading on a reserve could cause a problem like this. Are you saying that it could?

lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

His bad for hanging more than 200 pounds under a Tempo 120. As an FAA rigger he should know better.

I don't have a history with Tempo's and have no idea what caused this unless what Bill said was an issue but I have several PD113R rides loaded close to 200# and the canopies fly and land awsume at that loading. I personally don't think the loading would have any bearing on this issue. Now if it was a Micro- Raven 120 then I hope he learned a valuble lessonB|, sell it!

This is the second Tempo issue I've heard of in 2 weeks. The other issue was the jumper opened under his Tempo only to find that it had a built in turn that required a lot of brake to counter. I believe the phrase used was "I looked to make sure I did'nt have a mal on the reserve also". This jumper was experienced enough that he was able to bring the canopy in for a safe landing, but my concern would be on a jumper of lower experience trying to land a reserve with inputs that would be different then normal.

I'm hoping that the jumper that had this turning Tempo will do a full write up at some point ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

No Lindsay, I actually mean just the opposite. I have seen quite a few deployments over the years where LOW wing loadings seemed to be related to a higher incidence of end cell closure.

To answer somebody else's question. The jumer had two prior problem free rides on this same canopy.

This is the second Tempo issue I've heard of in 2 weeks. The other issue was the jumper opened under his Tempo only to find that it had a built in turn that required a lot of brake to counter. I believe the phrase used was "I looked to make sure I did'nt have a mal on the reserve also". This jumper was experienced enough that he was able to bring the canopy in for a safe landing, but my concern would be on a jumper of lower experience trying to land a reserve with inputs that would be different then normal.

I'm hoping that the jumper that had this turning Tempo will do a full write up at some point ;)

Saw the same thing happen with a friends Tempo up at Rantoul last year, had the same built in turn. Ended up landing hard in the parking lot just outside the convention area but was unhurt.

You get what you pay for!

That is a pretty assinine statement.

By that reasoning I am going to assume you jump the most expensive rig avaliable, with all the options at the worlds most expensive DZ.

How much are tickets? $22? $24?

C'mon, think a little, man. Don't just jump on the bandwagon.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I DID have a tempo 150 for my reserve. My first reserve ride had a STRONG left turn (so I needed to keep my right toggle down to my waist) and I landed in a freshly plowed field (thank god) and did a excellent PLF. I only had soft tissue damage/sore arm for a week. There has been 3 tempo reserve rides at my dz and all 3 tempo's have had strong left turns. (2 tempo 150's and 1 tempo 170). All 3 were inspected by riggers after the event and nothing abnormal was found. We're currently looking into how close the serial numbers are.

Hmmm.....1000's and 1000's of Tempos have been sold and all of a sudden they are starting to have built in turns?

I just watched a guy land one this weekend and he had no issues with his at all.

I wonder if the people that had these turns "built" into them simply had uneven leg straps?
Dom

Read the reviews and search the fourms. Issues of built in turns on Tempos have been discussed here since I joined the fourms in 2000.

Thread from 2002

Dom, read the reviews. You want to tell Mike McGowan that he does'nt know how to tell the difference between uneven leg straps and a built in turn? :P
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ya know, I just dont understand the mentality of "If I have never heard of it before, it must be something else." Of how about this one, "Well I jump that canopy also, you must have bad body position", only to find out that the lineset is whacked.

Its comments like these from "know it all's" that get's us nowhere. We NEED to question the possibility of problems on the maufacturers part, because if the mentality on the part of the whole overrides the possiblity of a safety issue that is occuring with the minority, we are putting others at risk.

Im sure there were others that thought there was nothing wrong with the Jedei or the Crossfire1 to begin with.

What about bent reserve pins? One of the rigs I jumped failed that test so bad that they sent it to the manufacturer for even more metallurgy tests after the recall was already in effect.

Questioning the unthinkable is what keeps our sport safe and growing.

Complacency kills.

a friend of mine used his 3 times, one of which was an accidental opening in head down (someone collided with him and accidentally pull the reserve handle :o), and he is very happy with this Tempo reserve. he actually even recommends it.
I do not have a Tempo because I bought a 2nd (4th-5th) hand rig and had another reserve in it.
can't really judge cause I never jumped a reserve, and it's not very easy to find reserve demos in Switzerland. Will try to jump some in Vichy in 3 weeks time if I can...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Were the crossports inspected? Did they match the crossports in the other cells? I know of at least one case where one rib of a Tempo was missing its crossports.

That was my thought, although it still shouldn't prevent being able to pump out the closure. The original square reserve, (Safety-Flyer), was designed without crossports. You needed to check for end cell closure and pump it out, else it would stay closed all the way to the ground. I learned that lesson the hard way.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I had the opportunity to jump a Tempo reserve on my 27th jump. I was fortunate enough to land safetly under the canopy.

I have however heard of the in built turn attributed to the Tempo, I do believe the issue was resolved. ;)

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

No. This isn't an incident. I'll give you that much. However, I know it was a big incident for me when my tempo had a HUGE built in turn. Granted, it did save my life, but I would just like some answers as to why we've been seeing tempo's malfunction all over the states. I don't want to see a post here that says "fatality in ___, tempo reserve mal."

Oh and Plueeese! You sell them, you have a vested interest in keeping the name in good condition.

I actually had one of those peices of crap on my back for a few hundred jumps before I could afford something better for my life.

How many threads on PDR's with 'built in turns' are there???

Don't confuse bandwagon with fact. Get out from behind the phone. Latz!!

I actually had one of those peices of crap on my back for a few hundred jumps before I could afford something better for my life.

I've got 9 rides on Tempos. Far from a piece of crap, my Tempo appears to be a well-constructed quality reserve. It's always opened cleanly on-heading, is a docile flyer, and lands nicely. I've not noticed any turning tendency.

So how many Tempo jumps do you have and what is you opinion of them based on? Why did you jump a reserve you think so poorly of?

Bob